Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why do I care when the next gen Helix comes out?

patrick2099

I've been giving serious thought to buying a Helix Floor, over the past few weeks. I tried Helix Native, and like the sounds and work flow.  All I can think of is how, after I buy it, the next generation model will be out, as soon as my window to send it back expires. 

This unit will do everything I need it to. I didn't say the same thing about the HD500x. I got some tones out of it I liked, but didn't like the workflow. 

Other than better IR management, which could be implemented into the current Helix, I'm not sure what more I'd want. I'm not a huge effects user. 

I know I could get at least several years of quality use out of the Helix, even if something new comes out.  I know I'm being completely irrational about this, but this is a good chunk of money. Decisions, decisions... 

You may be looking at this the wrong way. 

you want new, go get the Kemper floor, but be warned there is nothing new about what is inside of that floor box really.... same old Kemper stuff just made to look like a Helix without an expression pedal. 

so the physical aspect of the unit isn't as much as consideration as to what the inside tech can do today and potentially tomorrow. 

If the Helix does everything you want today, no need to worry about tomorrow, it will take care of itself.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

If you wait long enough, the thing after the next thing will be just around the corner. If you want to play before you die, pull the trigger and enjoy yourself.

Lmao... but what about the thing after that? ;)

I believe someone from Line 6 (Digital Igloo?) was saying "look for continued support and updates for the Helix not in terms of months, but years".  I'm guessing they will eak out at last a couple more years worth of time from the current Helix now that they just did a big overhaul to unify the Helix platform across various types of hardware.

I'm not sure there are any quantum leaps coming in the underlying technology used in the Helix.  The only gain would be to add another DSP chip like Fractal did, but that just gives you the same result but with the ability to have more blocks, and spend considerably more on the unit.  Even with a quantum leap in DSP chip processing power, I'm not sure that necessarily equates to higher definition models.  It would mean having to rebuild the existing models, but for what purpose?  It seems to me that DSP processing power has reached a plateau in which there's not a whole lot more to be gained quality-wise for the increase in cost.

IMO... with the effort they just made to update the core with 2.8 I don't believe a new piece of hardware would re-write that book again. IE: I suspect the underlying architecture would remain even if a new piece of hardware was released.

The Helix Floor is a heck of a design with tremendous options and flexibility that still surpass any of the competitors 4 years after it's release. Even the "brand new" Kemper Stage can't touch the feature list of the Helix Floor, actually - IMO as a hardware unit it's quite archaic in comparison. (that has nothing to do with it's tonal quality... my comment is based on features and ease of use). There is very little missing in the Helix that can't be updated via firmware. Maybe Bluetooth and/or wifi, a touch screen, more dsp power or more memory. None of those are things that would prevent me from buying a new Helix today! 

I don't believe the scaled back versions (LT, Stomp, Effects) are in play with this conversation. If they didn't have the features you want you would naturally look to the next product up the ladder... ultimately the Floor.

Well, I tried to pull the trigger, but it got stuck. That's the first time I can remember Musician's Friend not being willing to honor a coupon where an item wasn't specifically on the inclusion list, when I called in. Between that and the 6% sales tax I now have to pay, that is a big difference. 

I'll probably just have to make the two hour trip to the nearest Guitar Center, when I get a chance. I could probably get rid of some gear I'm not even using to knock a little more off the price. 

Thanks, everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, patrick2099 said:

I could probably get rid of some gear I'm not even using to knock a little more off the price. 

I do a whole lot of selling gear to buy gear. I consider my equipment to be a kind of savings account for future purchases..... Good luck!

14 hours ago, patrick2099 said:

Well, I tried to pull the trigger, but it got stuck. That's the first time I can remember Musician's Friend not being willing to honor a coupon where an item wasn't specifically on the inclusion list, when I called in. Between that and the 6% sales tax I now have to pay, that is a big difference. 

I'll probably just have to make the two hour trip to the nearest Guitar Center, when I get a chance. I could probably get rid of some gear I'm not even using to knock a little more off the price. 

Thanks, everyone. 

I would call Musician's Friend back and hopefully get someone else on the line or try to escalate to someone who can honor your coupon.

I may give it one more try, but in the end it is their business. If they decide zero dollars is better that whatever margin they would make off a discounted purchase, no hard feelings. Getting rid of some old gear and freeing up some space would be the best option, and this may give me some extra motivation to do so. Haha.