Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - FX Send Return - Crackling Sound from Speakers

shibinabraham

Hello All

HX Stomp User (2.8)

Routing : Compressor >>Overdrive >>HX Stomp Main Input >> HX Stomp fx Send >> Strymon Timeline >> Strymon Big Sky >> Stereo Return HX Stomp >> HX Stomp Output >> Amp

I have been experiencing a crackling from my amp speakers like its being pushed really hard whenever the fx loop is turned on the HX Stomp Chain (specifically the Strymon Big Sky). Checked all the cable quality, connection and everything seems to be fine. Would the routing be the issue ? Also, would there be a major difference when connected directly from the Big Sky (being the last in chain before HX Stomp) to the Main Input of the Stomp to the amp  VS  HX Stomp FX send return (current routing) ?

Appreciate your earliest help here please :)

thanks,

Shibin

Following.

I'm having similar problems with my Stomp. I use the FX loop for wet effects at the very end of my chain. Whenever I put a stereo FX loop at the end of any of my patches the entire rig sounds plasticky like a toy. Even when all the pedals are in bypass.

My set up is Guitar to Stomp: comp, drive, cab, IR, then FX loop: mono to AlterEgox4, mono to Polymoon, stereo to Bigsky, stereo to Beatbuddy, stereo back into Stomp.

I wasn't having this problem before. Could it be from 2.8??

Cheers,

John.

When I updated to 2.8 it my Stomp's global settings for the FX send/returns were changed (or I was a moron and forgot I changed it) from "return" to "auxiliary." 

The result was a crackling sound, or no sound at all.  

Can you verify that it's set for "return?" Then you might want to verify if it's set to the appropriate setting from there (line vs. instrument). 

@Kilrahi

@jpement

Hello - got it resolved yesterday. Although the global settings fx send is on return; my presets that i am using are all maxed out on channel and master volume of the respective amp which was causing the sound issues. Brought it down to half (compensated by increasing the overall vol) and its resolved now

@jpement

did you try this with multiple presets ? try a different IR as well ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, I'll give that a try.

Up until now I sort of solved the issue by lowering the Send level on the FX loop to about -9db and then maxing out the Return level (it maxes out at +6db), which kinda worked. The problem is with each patch I need to adjust the Send levels differently -- basically to a spot low enough where the crackling goes away when I really dig into my guitar with the drives on, but also high enough that it doesnt affect the overall output level. It's different in every patch.

Though it isn't a perfect solution it was enough to be satisfying. Sorry I should have shared that with you guys!

I'll try what you said and see how I go.