Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POwercab Outputs per preset... why not by Snapshot!?

guix

Hi all

Just updated my Helix to 2.8 and Powercab to 2.0... been awaiting this update since I first bought helix... even sold my DT50 as I expected no helix dt50 connection would happen.... just to see it does  now... nonetheless i am more than happy with my powercab plus.

Now I have been a user of PODs since 2.0 and always have striven to get the max out of the amazing hardware Line 6 puts up.. and after all these years waiting to control my amp (DT50 112 before and now powercab plus 112) i get into a conundrum:

Helix only allows powercab settings BY PRESET.

With the advent of snapshots Line 6 did a HUGE, HUMONGOUS step that made a lot of us super happy... specially JTV Variax users like me... finally without any problems I could play acoustic and a banjo and an electric guitar IN THE SAME PRESET!

But here is where it gets interesting... with powercab allowing only PER PRESET settings... I cannot change powercab presets PER Snapshot.... 

Yes i could do it all in the helix and use a FRFR for the preset but I didn't buy the PC Plus for that I bought it so I could use IRs and allow more power to be used in the helix....

I have looked but so far I can only see changing the powercab preset is not possible using snapshots... Any ideas?

As you know... 2.8 was the first firmware able to utilize L6 link so I think the implementation is still in it's infancy. Take a look on ideascale to see if someone has made a feature request and upvote it... if nobody has, you can lead the charge and make the request. 

In the meantime... you could use midi instant commands in the control center and run a midi cable back to the PC Plus. Not ideal, but a possible solution until they expand the Link capabilities.  

You can change all the Powercab settings in the output block per snapshot. It’s just that there’s a bug that the text doesn’t always update in HX Edit. You just have to assign them to the snapshot controller, just like any other parameter you want to change per snapshot. It definitely works, though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

You can change all the Powercab settings in the output block per snapshot. It’s just that there’s a bug that the text doesn’t always update in HX Edit. You just have to assign them to the snapshot controller, just like any other parameter you want to change per snapshot. It definitely works, though.

But does it relate to the powercab presets? 

I will give it a try....seems there is no connection between the powercab presets and the helix settings?

7 minutes ago, guix said:

I will give it a try....seems there is no connection between the powercab presets and the helix settings?

No, you don't need to change presets on the Powercab. Everything that's stored in a Powercab preset is now part of the Helix preset. It does mean that if you've already built Powercab presets that you were recalling with MIDI, you'll have to rebuild them in the Helix output block. But in the end it makes everything a lot more flexible and easy to use. With the L6 Link functionally added in 2.8, the Powercab is simply like an extension of the Helix. Other than adjusting it's master volume knob, you don't need to adjust anything on it or edit on it at all.

1 minute ago, phil_m said:

No, you don't need to change presets on the Powercab. Everything that's stored in a Powercab preset is now part of the Helix preset. It does mean that if you've already built Powercab presets that you were recalling with MIDI, you'll have to rebuild them in the Helix output block. But in the end it makes everything a lot more flexible and easy to use.

Thanks, actually if you use 3-5 powercab presets woudl be easier to just select the preset, with over 50 helix presets i actively use, to set every single parameter for every single one, while it might be great for flexibility, its a lot of work.....

9 minutes ago, guix said:

tried again and if i put FRFR on snapshot 1, save,  and vintage on snapshot 2, save,   when i come back to snapshot 1 the sound is vintage not FRFR

so its not a bug... it just doesn't work.

spanshot 1 ha an acoustic with the amp block muted and 2 an electric with an amp block

Just now, guix said:

tried again and if i put FRFR on snapshot 1, save,  and vintage on snapshot 2, save,   when i come back to snapshot 1 the sound is vintage not FRFR

so its not a bug... it just doesn't work.

spanshot 1 ha an acoustic with the amp block muted and 2 an electric with an amp block

Do you have the parameter set to the snapshot controller? Are there brackets around it? It most certainly works.

actually if you use 3-5 powercab presets woudl be easier to just select the preset

Errrr, no. Do you mean 3 to 5 PowerCab preset choices already available per patch, versus all of them per patch? It's not much work to select what you want and then save it. I don't understand why it's not flexible enough for ya? Very easy to do once you get the hang of what's needed. 

4 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Do you have the parameter set to the snapshot controller? Are there brackets around it? It most certainly works.

Ahhh... i am soooo dumb.... of course.... :- )

Thanks Phil!

4 minutes ago, spikey said:

Errrr, no. Do you mean 3 to 5 PowerCab preset choices already available per patch, versus all of them per patch? It's not much work to select what you want and then save it. I don't understand why it's not flexible enough for ya? Very easy to do once you get the hang of what's needed. 

No I meant if you only have 3-5 powercab prsets you use, it easier to tell, by snapshot , the preset number... instead of having to set every parameter on every snapshot.

For example I use an IR with specific high cut and volume. If you could tell the preset number it would be 2 clicks to set up a snapshot.

With the current way, its 5, multiply by 50 presets...

but i gues we can ask for next version

2 minutes ago, guix said:

Based on what DI said here, I don't think it's going to happen... It doesn't really take any more setup or tweaking than using a cab or IR block in a Helix preset. You just have to think of the Powercab settings as part of your preset. Yes, it will take time to set up 50 presets, but once you do it once, it will be a lot easier to deal with in the future.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Based on what DI said here, I don't think it's going to happen... It doesn't really take any more setup or tweaking than using a cab or IR block in a Helix preset. You just have to think of the Powercab settings as part of your preset. Yes, it will take time to set up 50 presets, but once you do it once, it will be a lot easier to deal with in the future.

awwwww :- (

because of ... reasons?

it's OK... you are right... its just a bit of pain at the beginning... i am actually starting to think its best with more detailed options....

8 minutes ago, guix said:

awwwww :- (

because of ... reasons?

it's OK... you are right... its just a bit of pain at the beginning... i am actually starting to think its best with more detailed options....

The reason being DI thinks it's dumb... Lol... ;-)

• 9 months later...