Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where to buy replacement JTV necks?

Where can one buy replacement necks for a JTV69? I checked with Warmoth and their deal with Line 6 ended long ago; Full Compass doesn't have them.

Looking for a lefty maple neck made to fit without my having to question the fit of or take any measurements to have built or what have you. Doesn't have to say Variax on it, just has to be straight 6 lefty maple that I can also put an Earvana on.

Anybody know?

Any Strat replacement neck will fit a JTV69. So regardless of whether Warmoth has a "deal" with Line 6 or not, you can buy one of their Strat necks and put it on a JTV69. Just don't have them drill the mounting holes because the spacing is a little different. They charge you $15 for not drilling the holes. If the link works, here's a photo of my Warmoth replacement neck on my JTV69. It's mahogany with Bubinga FB, SS frets, Earvana nut. 

cK9PtCz.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, specracer986 said:

Just don't have them drill the mounting holes because the spacing is a little different. They charge you $15 for not drilling the holes.

cK9PtCz.jpg

I've put 2 different Warmoth necks on my 69. First one I had lying around from an old Strat, so obviously it was already drilled, and actually 3 of the 4 holes line up perfectly... only one is offset. You do need to dowel the last hole though, as it would be way too close for comfort to the new one that needs to be drilled. Worked fine...I eventually replaced it a second time, only because the frets were totally shot, and it wasn't worth the cost of a re-fret. Bought one of Warmoth's "in stock" selections (they're often quite a bit cheaper than building one from scratch). That one had already been pre-drilled, too... did the same thing again and just dowel-ed the one hole.

So for anybody who's got an old Strat neck, or if you find a new one you like that's already been pre-drilled, don't worry about it...it's an easy fix. Any local tech/luthier worth his salt will have no problem with it. Or just do it yourself...it ain't brain surgery. Dowel, wood glue, wait 24hrs, drill new hole, done.

Plus, it both mystifies and slightly aggravates me that Warmoth will drill holes for free, but charges an extra $15 to not drill them. I wouldn't expect a discount or anything... but an upcharge for doing less work just smells funny, lol. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Plus, it both mystifies and slightly aggravates me that Warmoth will drill holes for free, but charges an extra $15 to not drill them. I wouldn't expect a discount or anything... but an upcharge for doing less work just smells funny, lol. ;) 

Very Seinfeld-ian - "It's like decaffeinated coffee...they charge you more, for less!"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DannyMcO said:

Very Seinfeld-ian - "It's like decaffeinated coffee...they charge you more, for less!"

The only thing I know about coffee is that if I don't get some in the morning, I'd scream at a box full of puppies... is there such a thing as decaf coffee beans, or do they have to do something to suck the caffeine out of the regular beans? Cause that they can charge extra for, lol... but to say "I built you this wooden thing, and I'm gonna charge you an extra fifteen bucks to skip the last step" is just baffling to me, lol...;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 2, 2019 at 10:27 AM, cruisinon2 said:

I've wondered that myself, it's less work for them. But guess we have to live with it. 

Jd

I had similar success with a Warmoth neck. But be prepared if you buy a neck pre-drilled and expect to only drill one. I purchased a used JTV69, and the neck as drilled was severely misaligned to the point where there was a 1/16 gap between the top of the neck and the pocket. This was evidently why I got a really good deal on it. So much for QA... Couple of notes: 

• Not trying to be disagreeable, but I didn't think the bottom left hole that would normally used was all that close to the new one. I filled mine, but that's just because I'm anal retentive about such things. I did get a Warmoth Gallery neck, given the price was right for a conversion scale neck. In retrospect though, I kind of wish I'd waited and gotten an exotic like my other ones built to spec. I like raw non-finished necks. 
  • If you decide to finish it yourself, Tru-Oil and Behlen's Master Gel both work really, really well if you're looking for a non-spray, wipe on option. And Warmoth is fine with both of those as finishes.
  • If you're not a real wood shop guy who makes dowels, filling with JB Weld Kwik Wood or Wood Weld give pretty much the same result. The consistency is as dense as the wood,  Although the Wood Weld is a bit harder, and I liked that better for this. Easy to get it perfectly flush the first time. And you can drill in an hour.
  • Invest in a couple of small hand clamps to hold the neck on while you're punching the holes. 
  • When you punch the spots for the new holes, make sure to use a drill bit, screw or nail that fits snugly within the body holes to get them dead center.
  • If you know somebody with a drill press, borrow it or ask them to do it instead of hand drilling. The latter will work but it's a little more nerve racking IMO. I've done it both ways and actually got a WEN budget press and clamp for doing this job. It worked like a charm and was MUCH less stressful.
  • Stainless steel frets rock. Definitely worth the extra money.

I'd post a pic of the finished version but the site does not appear to want to let me do that. It did turn out well, and I changed out the magnetic pickups as well. But I'd have to say I was a little underwhelmed with the fit and finish of what's supposed to be a more boutique product. Even if I did get it cheap enough that it justified the investment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a Maple vintage finished Mighty Mite neck from Stewmac on my JTV69S - fitted perfectly - not pre-drilled. The machine heads fitted with a small twist from a reamer - just to sand off some finish I think. The result is fantastic now, would highly recommend this. I didn't like the original neck which was too chunky and flat for me.