Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable Method - No output

fenderbenderlax

Hi Folks,

I'm a Helix newbie and I'm still learning about how to use the set up properly. I recently decided to get a PRS Mt 15 head and hooked it up using the four cable method. My cabling is as follows

Guitar --> Helix Guitar in

Helix FX Send <--> Amp Input

Helix FX Return <--> Amp FX send 

Helix 1/4 inch LEFT out Mono <--> Amp FX Return

Within the helix I'm using a block for FX loop 1 with a wah pedal before the FX loop block and a delay and reverb after. I did not touch the path outputs. Now I'm trying to run my rig stereo but my stereo rig is not another amp but just an FRFR monitor. Basically the goal is to use the preamp from the MT 15 and feed it into a cabinet IR which will then be pushed into the FRFR. To achieve this, I tried the following

Cabling: Helix 1/4 inch RIGHT out <--> FRFR input

Path: Split path right after the FXloop block. Added a delay (100% wet with 20 seconds and no feedback) along with an IR 

Now I also panned both the split and the main paths to be hard left/hard right

Result: I'm getting no sound out of my amp now and while I'm getting a sound out of the FRFR clearly the preamp is not engaged. Could someone help me in identifying what I'm doing wrong? 

Thanks

Are you able to share the preset?

Looking at the cable routing above, you seem to be doing it correct, so my next thought would be to look at the internal signal chain.

Are you suing a stereo FX send/return block for FX Loop 1? Mistakes I've sometimes made there are a send or a return block when I need a send/return block, and sometimes I've used a mono block when I need a stereo. 

There's other possibilities too, but seeing your signal chain might be the next best step. 

27 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Are you able to share the preset?

Looking at the cable routing above, you seem to be doing it correct, so my next thought would be to look at the internal signal chain.

Are you suing a stereo FX send/return block for FX Loop 1? Mistakes I've sometimes made there are a send or a return block when I need a send/return block, and sometimes I've used a mono block when I need a stereo. 

There's other possibilities too, but seeing your signal chain might be the next best step. 

I don't have the preset with me right now as I'm away from the Helix..but will be more than happy to share it as soon as I'm able to get back to it...I'm also baffled and I checked a couple of youtube videos to make sure that I'm doing the cabling correctly...what baffles me is when I put the instrument cable into the Right output of the Helix, the amplifier stops responding...I wonder why that is the case

2 minutes ago, fenderbenderlax said:

I don't have the preset with me right now as I'm away from the Helix..but will be more than happy to share it as soon as I'm able to get back to it...I'm also baffled and I checked a couple of youtube videos to make sure that I'm doing the cabling correctly...what baffles me is when I put the instrument cable into the Right output of the Helix, the amplifier stops responding...I wonder why that is the case

But if you put it in the left output does the amplifier play as you would expect it to? 

1 minute ago, Kilrahi said:

Then I definitely think looking at the type of FX block put in the chain would be a good first step. I've made the mistake before of using a left only or right only send/return block when I need a stereo one, etc. 

ah okie...I did not look at that...I just dropped a FXloop1 block in blindly...my bad...will update as soon as I check that out...