Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone setup Skype with voice, PC audio & Helix?

JimDiGritz

I need to be able to share my voice, PC Audio (eg a backing track) and of course my Helix sound over Skype.

I'm almost there, but can't figure out how to add the Helix.

NB I'm playing at night using headphones, so cranking up the volume and playing the sound in the room into the mic isn't viable. 

Using this guide: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/share-music-skype-add-sound-podcasts-audio-clips-like-pro/ I've got voice and PC audio into skype, but I'm at a loss as to how to bring in the processed guitar signal (USB1/2).

Any ideas?

My best guess:

How are you getting your voice into the mix? If you're using Helix as your soundcard, in Win10, go to the sound panel and set the Helix as your recording device.

If you're using a different soundcard, connect the Helix out to the soundcard (digital if your soundcard has that feature) and set that as your recording device.

13 hours ago, rd2rk said:

My best guess:

How are you getting your voice into the mix? If you're using Helix as your soundcard, in Win10, go to the sound panel and set the Helix as your recording device.

If you're using a different soundcard, connect the Helix out to the soundcard (digital if your soundcard has that feature) and set that as your recording device.

Hi, 

My setup is pretty simple. Mic into PC Soundcard. Helix as Output Soundcard (via USB and 1/4" to monitors and Headphone Out)

I've got the Voiceemeter (and virtual patch cable) setup as per the guide I linked to and can now Skype with a mixer of Voice and PC audio, but I can't see a way to output Helix processed sound to the main Speakers - Line 6 Helix.

I'm wondering whether the missing link is to use my DAW (Reaper) to somehow monitor the Helix and send this to the Virtual cable input, but I've got confused over which Driver and outputs/inputs to choose and not got it working.

Basically, how do I get the processed Helix output into Voiceemeter?

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Dshow said:

Why are you using your PC soundcard for the mic?

Plug it into your Helix and you're done.

To start you could try the patch 04A "Guitar + Vocals" form the templates Setlist

Thanks, I was trying to avoid dedicating an entire DSP to handle speech, also means that if I need to use my PC for VOIP I'll have to ensure that the Helix is in the right preset first etc.

Easiest solutions I can think of right now:

1. Run everything into a digital mixer, if you have one available, set the digital mixer as your Skype audio interface and you can also easily monitor what they hear as well as adjust levels on the fly. There are a ton of small digital mixers available for this at incredible prices, if you're teaching and making a profit it is a small investment to make sure everything runs smoothly for your clients.

2. Dedicate a patch, named online lessons, to this and run everything through the helix with that set as your audio interface in Skype. 

6 hours ago, Dshow said:

Why are you using your PC soundcard for the mic?

Plug it into your Helix and you're done.

To start you could try the patch 04A "Guitar + Vocals" form the templates Setlist

I'm not teaching btw, I have a friend who's offered to critique my playing over skype.

I've plugged in my mic into the Aux 1/4" input and used the Guitar & Vocals preset. Guitar works fine, but no mic sound at all... in DAW or Skype

I set the Input in Windows sound settings to Digital Audio Interface (2 Line 6 Helix) as opposed to the previous ASUS soundcard mic input..

Any ideas?

46 minutes ago, Dshow said:

Are you using Helix LT?

Have you changed the Input from Mic to "Aux" in the second Path then?

No, Helix Floor

Yes I've got Guitar on Top path (which works) and Aux on Bottom Path (no sound from mic). I tried 4 different mono and stereo 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS adapters into the Aux - none worked.

I really don't want to have to shell out on an XLR condenser mic!

21 hours ago, Dshow said:

If you have the Floor (not Floor LT) why not put the mic in the Mic IN?

Thanks, but I really don't want to have to buy an XLR mic specially just for this purpose - I thought I could use the combination of equipment I've got already but seemingly not!

• 1 month later...

So I went out and bought an XLR mic so that I can get vocal and guitar on separate paths and into Skype as one signal.

Now what?

How do I set my audio input to the Helix as well as the Output? I mean I tried the obvious of setting the Input in the Sound Control Panel as Digital Audio Interface as per the image, but am getting no sound at all on the input...

Capture.JPG.4087a119e485f30b17ea9f11e4043907.JPG

On the Line 6 preset Guitar + Vocals both paths are set to Multi - is this right?

Surely this should be really easy???

Jim

• Upvote 1