Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vdi Cable And Battery Usage

Hi,

I've had a JTV59 for a while now and love it, I've just bought an HD500X and obviously now connect the JTV to the pod using the VDI cable.

I know the pod can power the JTV using the VDI, but my question is, if the battery is in, does the VDI automatically override the battery power when it's connected, or will it still use the battery?

The only switch to turn on the battery is in the 1/4 inch jack.  If nothing is plugged in there, the battery is not connected.  You can remove the battery completely if you always use the VDI cable.  You can also play with the Mag pickups and the normal 1/4 inch  cable without the battery.

• 1 year later...

Models and magnetics won't run simultaneously,...

it's one or the other.

Is there a Mag to Model blend in the "HD" edit?  Thought for sure I play with that bit before I decided to go back to FW 1.9. I know it won't in the FW 1.9.

No mags to Model blend,... it would never work with the Alt Tune.

Models would be Alt Tuned while the mags wouldn't be. That would

sound really bad.

Using VDI out and 1/4" out simultaneously would create problems

of circuit loading and current draw issues (with or without battery).

The circuit board wouldn't handle that kind of load. In case anyone

was thinking about that one.

Using VDI out and 1/4" out simultaneously would create problems

of circuit loading and current draw issues (with or without battery).

The circuit board wouldn't handle that kind of load. In case anyone

was thinking about that one.

I didn't know this - thanks for the info.

I have done this occasionally for very specific situations when I want the VDI for Variax control and power from a Pod HD Pro and I also want to use the Guitar input for very specific features on the HD Pro that are only available with the Guitar input (e.g. Input-Z parameter, Dry Out). Guess I should stop doing that.

Potential? No, at some point it will become a problem. It's an

output load thing to the amp circuit on the JTV main board. Both

JTV outputs are not designed to be used at the same time.

As for the other thing, since you can engage either Model or mags,..

... one or the other at a time, I'm not sure I see what the benefit is.

When magnetics are turned-on the Models are turned-off, and

vice versa. Not sure what you're trying to do there. Preset the

levels maybe?

When magnetics are turned-on the Models are turned-off, and

vice versa. Not sure what you're trying to do there. Preset the

levels maybe?

Sounds like they are both on at the same time. I send the the mags to a DT and a 6 or 12 string acoustic out to an active FR. Other blends sound pretty good too.

I turn on modelling with the model selector. Then I select Variax on one Input and Variax Mags on the other input in HD Edit. Hard L on one Path and hard R on the other and presto. Both the model and the mags are heard out their respective speakers. 

So my question is... Am I taking the slow road to frying my 89F?

Respectfully, I do not believe it is exclusively one or the other, mags or models -- as there are numerous threads on this forum that discuss the various ways to set up parallel path patches to make use of models on one path and the mags on the other at the same time. Plus in the HD Worbench software there is a specific setting for the ability to mix mag level with the model level, so no I don't think it's one or the other exclusively.

One of the first questions raised when someone is complaining about the dissonances heard when in an alt tuning is first - is the amplified signal louder than what is heard acoustically from the JTV, then is the mag/model mix on it's normal mag = 0 setting in WB. Some discussions were also folks wondering how to effectively use alt tunings to play harmonic offset models against the mag signals..... On the HD500(X) input parameter, we have VARIAX, MAGS, VARIAX+MAGS, etc. so we can send them down different routings when using the VDI.... The WB mix parameter would apply to both the VDI and the 1/4" route that is an analogue combination signal path. The VDI has 2 separate digital signal paths, should you choose to use them both.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Slow road to a fry? Maybe,... if the internal switch isn't acting correctly.

What color are the LED's on the knobs when modeling is engaged?

The model knob looks like it is back lit white. The alt tuning knob is not lit unless I change tuning, then it lights up the same back lit white for a second or two.