Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beware of Helix Edit 2.80!

dannepop

That´s a buggy software. Just tried to copy one delay block to another place just before that. It ended with all of my clean snapshots got distorted!

Tried to save all with no overdrive. But the distorsion was still there!

Just got tired and reloaded my backup again and it works as expected.

My decision is to not use the Helix Edit software when editing my sounds!

Just go with Helix alone!

Danne

Haven't seen any problems, but some others have.

Did you open a support ticket? That's the best way to get L6 support's attention. There's also a BUG stickey if that's easier for you.

Hello guys,

Need your help, I just used Line 6 edit software and I downloaded some of those free Customtone patches uploaded to Line 6 website. I did manage to import to my Line 6 helix effects but after attempting to do another Customtone patches, error message always pop-up  says "failed to import setlist, invalid or unrecognize file code:8101". Any suggestion guys?

3 hours ago, dannepop said:

No I didn´t!

I sure they are aware of this!

That´s basic use of the software!

That's an assumption you shouldn't make.... just because you have the problem doesn't mean everyone does, and therefore that doesn't mean L6 is aware of it. They didn't test on "your system", and the beta testers don't have "your system" either. L6 wants to hear about this stuff, just in case they haven't become aware of it. 

• Upvote 1

It is unacceptable that so much Helix owners have any sort of problems with this 2.80 update.

When you offer an update -  no matter it' s free or not -  you MUST to give " easy life" to the customers, especially to the ones that have a professional use of Helix. 

This update isn' t an easy update. This is a real fact.

My will was to update from 2.71, but now  I' m on tour with my band and I' m afraid to do it. Perhaps all goes fine, but……………….who knows ? I have not time to resolve problems...I only have to play….it's my job !

Yes, I know I can return to the 2.71, but why proceding to install the new software thinking at that ? It' s a  totally wrong approach…...

Before, I do any previous update without any issues, but really only about few people have had problems. This time, there are too many players that meet bugs or issues …… 

Perhaps the bugs are only in my brain, but I'll update only at the end of the tour….. I admit: I' m not totally happy…….I think  Line 6 can do much, much better !

Sorry for my bad english...

39 minutes ago, viola said:

My will was to update from 2.71, but now  I' m on tour with my band and I' m afraid to do it. Perhaps all goes fine, but……………….who knows ? I have not time to resolve problems...

I'm in the exact same situation... but for me it was an easy decision and solution.

As soon as I realized that this was a complete re-write of the CORE I made the conscious decision (right then and there) to be patient and wait until 2.8.1 was released. 

• I do the same thing when my DAW releases a major update. I wait for the dot release while everyone else finds the bugs. 
  • I do the same thing when Microsoft does a major update on Windows 10 (every March and November).... I wait until the first round of "fixes" are completed before I do the update.  (eg: Windows update 1903 broke a lot of audio systems.... I waiting until the April fix was released before I updated)

It's all software... and if I need to rely on it I am not going to be an early adopter of any major release! Coming from an IT background I do have one complaint... an update as major as this one should have been given the 3.0 designation making it obvious that a major change has taken place. 

Just my perspective :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I'm in the exact same situation... but for me it was an easy decision and solution.

As soon as I realized that this was a complete re-write of the CORE I made the conscious decision (right then and there) to be patient and wait until 2.8.1 was released. 

• I do the same thing when my DAW releases a major update. I wait for the dot release while everyone else finds the bugs. 
  • I do the same thing when Microsoft does a major update on Windows 10 (every March and November).... I wait until the first round of "fixes" are completed before I do the update.  (eg: Windows update 1903 broke a lot of audio systems.... I waiting until the April fix was released before I updated)

It's all software... and if I need to rely on it I am not going to be an early adopter of any major release! Coming from an IT background I do have one complaint... an update as major as this one should have been given the 3.0 designation making it obvious that a major change has taken place. 

Just my perspective :) 

THIS is proper thinking. I updated because I don't have a critical need for Helix to be 100%, so I'm willing to play with new features at some risk of issues and maybe help find glitches. Any major software change is like this, from firmware, to apps, to computer OS. Companies try to beta test thoroughly, but until it gets into "the wild" with the entire user base, things will likely be missed. This is simply the reality of software development. To expect different is just not reasonable, IMO.

The greater difficulty of this update was PLAINLY spelled out, as were the step by step instructions. There are those having problems despite following instructions, but most that I've seen have gone back, said "oops", done it correctly, and are working.

Anyone seeing "major code rewrite" and still opting to update a "critical production system" instead of waiting a bit for the x.1 update is playing with fire. With any brand or software type.

Agreed on the 3.0 designation. My guess is the new feature set wasn't enough to name it that way, but as another IT guy, the code rewrite warranted it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, jester700 said:

……………. but most that I've seen have gone back, said "oops", done it correctly, and are working.

Absolutely true ! This is another undebatable fact: many problems coming from NOT FOLLOW CORRECT INSTRUCTIONS.....

But I think the most of  guitar player people, a guitar player as me (50 y.o), isn't YET ready to become a "computer guy" ….!

In the next future, these two "souls" will go happily  together, but until then, the "gap" between them still remains.

7 hours ago, dannepop said:

No I didn´t!

So, it's not your responsibility as a USER of the software to inform the PUBLISHER of a possible bug because they're supposed to know about them? How?

If nobody tells them, how would they know? And how can you be SURE they already know?

THAT (reporting a bug) is "basic USE of software"!

7 hours ago, monchie_ramos said:

Hello guys,

Need your help, I just used Line 6 edit software and I downloaded some of those free Customtone patches uploaded to Line 6 website. I did manage to import to my Line 6 helix effects but after attempting to do another Customtone patches, error message always pop-up  says "failed to import setlist, invalid or unrecognize file code:8101". Any suggestion guys?

There were a few people who had that problem when trying to the setlist in my multiband preset pack. In every case, it turned out that the Helix firmware and HX Edit updates were out of sync. Once both were updated to the same version number equal to or greater than 1.71, the setlist loaded without problems. Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, viola said:

Absolutely true ! This is another undebatable fact: many problems coming from NOT FOLLOW CORRECT INSTRUCTIONS.....

But I think the most of  guitar player people, a guitar player as me (50 y.o), isn't YET ready to become a "computer guy" ….!

In the next future, these two "souls" will go happily  together, but until then, the "gap" between them still remains.

That's true. This was a difficult update. Though so far it's the only one like this, and hopefully the only one for the rest of helix lifespan. I don't think any of the others have been too hard on us 50-something guitar guys.

7 hours ago, viola said:

It is unacceptable that so much Helix owners have any sort of problems with this 2.80 update.

When you offer an update -  no matter it' s free or not -  you MUST to give " easy life" to the customers, especially to the ones that have a professional use of Helix. 

This update isn' t an easy update. This is a real fact.....

I think  Line 6 can do much, much better !

In order to conclude that a "better" job needs to be done, first you'd have to prove that a "bad" job was done in the first place. Since we have absolutely no way to determine what percentage of people have had problems with the update, it's impossible to conclude anything one way or the other. Tallying up complaints on a technical forum will always make it seem as though everybody and their grandmother has been negatively affected, when in reality that's almost never the case. A comple lack of perspective makes consulting a Ouija board a better way to reach conclusions.

Are there bugs? Yes. Do they universally affect all users who've updated? No, not even close. Would it be nicer if there weren't any bugs? Sure... but that's a fantasy. You've got better odds of going out on the first day of deer season and bagging a unicorn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

This ^^^^^^

It's software. Sometimes it's best to give a major update a wide body swerve until the dust has settled. This is not rocket science :-)

I'm 54 btw :-)

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

It's all software... and if I need to rely on it I am not going to be an early adopter of any major release!

Way to "just say no". I just could not shy away from trying Helix 2.8 with my PC+ pair. 

8 hours ago, viola said:

This update isn' t an easy update. This is a real fact.

And on the "other" side of that fence, had they waited until everything worked in every possible configuration with every cable tested and with every known OS available to mankind, you might have seen this patch around 3132.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, spikey said:

Way to "just say no". I just could not shy away from trying Helix 2.8 with my PC+ pair. 

TBH... I did update my Helix Native to the latest update so I could test the new models and such. I'm enjoying 2.8, just not on my LT yet :) 

19 hours ago, dannepop said:

No I didn´t!

So you are complaining about a bug that is allegedly in the software, but are not willing to take the few minutes to report it, and instead will simply not use the software any more? A curious approach to the situation, that's for sure.

Here's the thing!

All software of any complexity is likely to contain bugs. Some of these bugs will be more serious than others - some may be "serious" in effect, but very obscure and hard to replicate. Even if your code itself is completely free from bugs, the 3rd party compilers and tools that you use to build it may not be - there may even be bugs at a hardware level that you end up trying to work around in software.

So, to suggest that *any* company is able to release bug-free software is simply absurd because it doesn't happen.

This is why corporations don't use Windows Update to update their desktop PCs or cling to earlier supported version of Windows, such as XP or Windows 7, instead of jumping to Windows 10.

Corporations don't upgrade their Windows or Linux servers to track new releases, and they pick and choose which versions of their enterprise software they move too, which can often be several releases behind the most up-to-date versions.

My HX Stomp shipped with 2.65 of the firmware, although if I recall correctly 2.70 was available and practically a necessity when my Stomp arrived. 2.70 was rapidly followed by 2.71, correcting some of the issues that were found in the earlier version.

If Line 6 were to release 2.81, I think there would be an expectation that most of the bugs found in 2.80 would be fixed and it wouldn't introduce many new bugs, certainly, none that serious.

Let's not forget that 2.80 would have been a major version release (i.e. 3.0) if it had contained more user-facing enhancements - from a technology perspective, 2.80 is very different architecturally to 2.71. 

If you are using a piece of hardware which includes a software component in a professional or semi-professional context, you should really be as cautious as corporations when it comes to software upgrades because downtime can cost you time and money.

Let people who are more casual users of the hardware (such as myself) find the issues and give the hardware supplier a chance to fix them before you upgrade yourself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I find the title of this thread somewhat odd.

It appears that the OPs gripe is only with the HX Edit software that is used to act as a librarian, remotely change or build patches in the Helix hardware. In fact he states “My decision is to not use the Helix Edit software when editing my sounds! Just go with Helix alone!”

My understanding of how this works is, the entire “brain” (core) of the Helix range of products has changed and that’s where most of the problems that people have encountered spring from. You have to ask, using the OPs suggestion of editing on hardware only, would that solve the Expression Pedal and Snapshot issues? Mmm...I think not

There may well be issues within the Edit programme, but to state things such as - “Beware of HX Edit 2.80” and “Everyone be cautions about using the Helix Edit!” make it sound like some virus infected hell.

This is a huge update, and in many respects could have been listed as firmware version 3.0, where for month after month we had endless threads of “where is my free stuff?”. When it lands people are amazed that there a glitches in the system. You got your update and now some people want to pi$$ and moan that the update is “buggy”. 

If you want to be an early adopter of this stuff then be prepared for what lies on “the bleeding edge of technology”. Simple enough fix - roll back to a previous known working version and let these guys get on with the debugging, which hopefully will make everyone happy.

• Upvote 1

I do so love stuff like this.

I've got a problem with my HX.

I raised a ticket on Wednesday last week.

It's going into the service centre this week via my lovely and helpful local dealer (Yay for Andertons!).

It'll come back fixed in a week or two.

All achieved without criticising anyone or getting agitated with how unfair life is.

Why is this process so hard for so many people?  Stuff goes wrong - always has (I've seen the cave painting from Vlad the Carpenter when his flint snapped one day after purchase back in 8660 BC.  Boy was he triggered) and it always will.

Line 6 always seems to me to be pretty good amongst their peers in dealing with any issues that may arise - normally with good grace and good humour.  But you have to let them know about it - otherwise they really can't help you.  

I believe psychic bug reporting isn't due until v4.02.

I've had far worse experiences with far more expensive items (try owning a Land Rover...)

• Haha 5

On 8/4/2019 at 9:16 AM, rd2rk said:

So, it's not your responsibility as a USER of the software to inform the PUBLISHER of a possible bug because they're supposed to know about them? How?

If nobody tells them, how would they know? And how can you be SURE they already know?

THAT (reporting a bug) is "basic USE of software"!

That is exactly how large scale software and hardware deployments work. Unless Line 6 has absolute control over each device (they don't) there are innumerable variables that can cause issues. Everything from your computer to the processor or the RAM in your individual Helix. It's impossible to test out every scenario to identify bugs and many bugs are found by people using their system in a creative, non-standard manner. You should absolutely report any bug you find with as much details as possible if you want and expect Line 6 to prevent as many bugs as possible in future releases.

• Upvote 1

VGK17 why you reacted ( -) to my post ?

I really don' t understand…….

I have only express my personal opinion…..or this is the "only happiness things about Helix" forum ?

I' m a professional musician in Italy from 30 years and my thought is that this update is not enough safe for my work. 

If Line 6 wants its products run by professionals, must give  professional products. If not, best NOT HAVE free updates.That' s all.

Yes, you can put another (- ) to my post…...I' ll go out from this forum. It' s not for me.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:48 AM, viola said:

VGK17 why you reacted ( -) to my post ?

I really don' t understand…….

I have only express my personal opinion…..or this is the "only happiness things about Helix" forum ?

I' m a professional musician in Italy from 30 years and my thought is that this update is not enough safe for my work. 

If Line 6 wants its products run by professionals, must give  professional products. If not, best NOT HAVE free updates.That' s all.

Yes, you can put another (- ) to my post…...I' ll go out from this forum. It' s not for me.

If you're going to get upset when people disagree with things you post online you really need to not be online. I reacted with a downvote because I disagreed, that's the function of it.

• Upvote 1

If Line 6 wants its products run by professionals, must give professional products.

Wait. You are mad about a huge free update that has some bugs now that will be fixed later, is that right?

Do you realize just how difficult it is to write this amount of code for every setup without having to fix a few things? The answer is,  it's impossible and no, you obviously don't. A little Common sense and some patience will pay off in the long run. Or you could sell off everything and play the drums...

9 hours ago, spikey said:

Wait. You are mad about a huge free update that has some bugs now that will be fixed later, is that right?

Do you realize just how difficult it is to write this amount of code for every setup without having to fix a few things? The answer is,  it's impossible and no, you obviously don't. A little Common sense and some patience will pay off in the long run. Or you could sell off everything and play the drums...

Good job some of these people who whine about updates have never had to deal with an old Roland GR33 System Update.

Many years ago when I did mine it got completely screwed because this was not a simple connect to USB and squirt down some code. Nope, this was dealing with EPROMs and MIDI and when that went wrong you really did wind up with something that no longer functioned as a guitar synth! In fact it no longer functioned as anything. Used it prop the door open for the past 10 years.

People today - Don't know nuthin'