Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Experiences With A Pod Hd 500

bskauge

Hi,

I've been using the POD HD 500 for about a year now, and I thought I should share my experiences so far. I plug it in to a powered FRFR speaker (Yamaha DXR10). I play rock'n'roll and blues and I am going for the somewhat overdriven sound. Haven't been able to capture the sweet lead tones of John Mayer, but I guess I can't without a real tube amp cranked up.

I've noticed the digital clipping/artifacts too, which you can even hear in the video for the pinned post "Creating a Keith Richards Tone on the POD HD500X" , and after browsing the forum, I found out that lowering the master volume really helps a lot. 

Go-to-amp: Dr Z model

Go-to-overdrive: Classic Overdrive, filter at 70%-85%

Go-to-volume-boost: Tube Compressor at end of chain, level 10%, compression(?) 98%.

I would like to use the Marshall-models, but they become too boomy for me.

The EQs are just frustrating, but thanks for all the help from this forum.

I always use the mic-preamp at the beginning of the chain, which I also use as a hi-pass / low-pass filter. Cut at 80-100 Hz and at about 8k (because I read that most speakers found in guitar amps don't go higher than this).

If there's any good tone-tweaking tips out there, please share them with me. :-)

Regards,

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn, i've been using pod hd500 for a year too, i had a pod xt live before. I suggest you to read the meambobbo's guide, it is full of useful tips! On his demo page, you can download some tone he made, maybe you can find something for your need.
Also search on youtube a guy named Suhermanto Harsono, he made a pod hd500 vs gt100 comparison and their tones are available on customtone (you can find the link to download them under his video), i found them beatiful.
Regarding me, i had problem to make the jcm800 model sound good (for solo stuff). In general i can give this advices to you ( that worked for me).

- set input 2 to variax, less background noise

- if you are not gonna use dual amp, mute the right channel and keep the left channel centered.

- for clean volume boost i set up a studio eq at the end of the chain, i keep gain at +5db, i activate it when i need a boost for solo in live situation assigning it on the second switch button which i labeled "boost"

- put the noise gate just before the amp only if there are some distortion or comp pedals, if you have free slot unused put another noise gate just after the mixer (with low level, just to clean slight the tone) of course this is for high gain tones.

- use the mid focus eq if the tone is too bassy or too fizzy, it's hard to control the eq cause there are no db or hz but just %. On youtube you can find a video of someone that explain how the eqs work on the pod hd500.

- sometimes changing mic can do the job, if the tone is too trebly try the sm57 off axis, the ribbon also is good but can really make the tone too muddy.

I hope you find this informations useful.
Bye ;)

I would like to use the Marshall-models, but they become too boomy for me.

I find the marshall models really benefit from either a clean boost (screamer) or mid boost (mid focus EQ) to get rid of that boomyness. I really dig the JCM800 or Park with a screamer out front set at 0% gain and about 70% drive.

I find the marshall models really benefit from either a clean boost (screamer) or mid boost (mid focus EQ) to get rid of that boomyness. I really dig the JCM800 or Park with a screamer out front set at 0% gain and about 70% drive.

You mean 0% drive and 70% output? Anyway also the master volume drastically change the tone of the jcm model!

You mean 0% drive and 70% output? Anyway also the master volume drastically change the tone of the jcm model!

Yup you got it - the usual "boost" OD setting! As for the master volume, i ditched the full models a few months back, since the preonly models sound better into my rig at band volume. (The full models still sound more 'alive' at low volume though to me)