Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch Help - Isley Brothers

jonboyuk

Hey all - new Helix owner :)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so apologies if not. I'm trying to create a patch for 'It's your thing - Isley Brothers' and I can't quite get the thick chucking (palm muted) sound at the end of each note in the verse. Does anyone know how I can achieve this? :)

Many thanks!

You are aware it's the bass doubling the guitar (or guitar doubling the bass probably more correctly) that's mostly making it fat?

The rest is just a nice clean (but you still got to have the amp working - so just short of breakup) guitar line - can get close on a Fender Twin or a clean anything else.

An EQ boost round 750hz will increase the click/clunk on the note (the CaliQ is good for that) - but you probably want to turn it off for the other parts.

Hope that is helpful.

IYes, I'm aware of that! :) It's not so much the general fatness of the playing, it was more the clunkiness of the palm muted bits! Thanks for your suggestions on how to sort it though, I'll give them a go this evening!! :)

On 8/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, jonboyuk said:

Hey all - new Helix owner :)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so apologies if not. I'm trying to create a patch for 'It's your thing - Isley Brothers' and I can't quite get the thick chucking (palm muted) sound at the end of each note in the verse. Does anyone know how I can achieve this? :)

Many thanks!

You might already be aware of this but if your talking about the part that first occurs in the intro and is also played along with each chorus  it sounds to me like that sound is a combination of two guitars(or one guitar and one keys) as well as the bass. One guitar playing just the chuckas and another picking out the notes with the bass. The picked guitar and bass parts are so tightly synched it almost sounds like an octaver was used. However if you listen to subsequent choruses you will hear the bass vamping immediately coming out of the synced part so maybe it is just a very tight recording of the second guitar and bass, not sure. The picked guitar part that octaves the bass could also have conceivably been done on keys and not by guitar.

If you watch this live performance of it you can clearly see that the chuckas are played exclusively by one guitar with someone else playing the other "guitar" part that the bass follows. No guarantee of what instruments were used in the original studio recording but at least in this performance there appears to be only one guitarist so the second synched bass "guitar" part appears to be played by keys here.  My ears aren't what they used to be though so if someone hears something else I'm (ahem) all ears.

As far as getting that tone for the chuckas I would start with rvroberts advice. You may want to try experimenting with some compressor settings to see if that helps. I think part of the key as mentioned is to get a clean guitar sound right at the point of breakup. The right pickups and tone settings help too.

Scroll down on this link's page for some specific amp settings for palm muting:

https://nationalguitaracademy.com/palm-muting/

Just for historical reference there was only one guitarist in the listed lineup on the "It's Your Thing" album so although it could easily have been recorded by one guitarist on another track I think it is a possibility that even on the original recording the second guitar was a keyboard.

Wow thank you, your advice is really useful indeed! There are so many options in Helix (different compressors/amps etc) it's quite overwhelming. But I'll take your advice and try what you've suggested re: palm muting amp settings :) Thanks so much.

• 3 years later...
On 1/31/2023 at 1:42 AM, KenTammie said:

"Who's that lady"

"Who's That Lady" is the title of their original 1964 recording.
You mean "That Lady" from 1973, right?

For the latter, the lead guitar sounds like heavy fuzz, compression and wah.

Very cool to hear someone's into the Isley Brothers. According to Ernie himself in a 1981 interview for "That Lady", he used his Strat going into a Fender Twin, a Big Muff and a Maestro PS-1A phase pedal. There was a wah used on the clean rhythm track but not on the lead.

The curious thing is even though you can find a guitar breakdown/lesson on almost every guitar oriented song ever written on YouTube I've never been able to find the "That Lady" solo done in that way.

• Upvote 1