Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I made a song using one of the factory patches (Placater Dirty)

vstrattomusic

I don't know if this is legal here or not, but I've seen a lot of discussion regarding stock cabs and factory presets being useless, in the new 2.80 update the presets have been updated with high and low cuts, which made me try them again since I'm getting sick (in a bad way) of the high gain guitar sound and I want to try new things, a smoother sound. I decided to use the Placater Dirty patch because it was inoffensive to my ears, but could still rock. I used this patch without tweaking anything at all, just disabled some effects and the EQ block, thought I would reamp later, but felt too lazy for that.

I'm pleasantly surprised, I had been using IRs for so long, from almost every brand out there, and I have to say the stock cabs have their own charm to them, actually comparing them to some IR's I've used in my previous mixed, they seem to sound less big but have more meat to them, I did have to apply some EQ though, but that's always the case when mixing a song.

Anyway my mixing game is not at it's best since I haven't done it in some time and also decided I would not put in too much effort since I'm only making music for myself, but maybe you'll like it!

Feel free to share any of the stuff you've made with factory patches!

• Upvote 3

Nice!

Many people have a "sound" in their heads and it's not the stock cabs, therefore, the stock cabs suck.

Many people who get hooked on the "magic" of IRs eventually come back to the stock cabs and are surprised that they don't suck, they just sound different.

Cheaper too! :-)

Best practice: Start with the FREE stock cabs. Switch mics, play with EQ. LISTEN TO IT IN THE MIX!

If it isn't working there's a rabbit hole called "commercial IRs".