Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How are you guys adjusting volume between snapshots? I sometimes get loud popping when changing snapshots...

obscurehifi

Hello everyone,

I use snapshots quite a bit and am looking to improve them a little for some amp models that don't have enough volume to match the other snapshots when the gain is backed down. A good example is the Revv amp, when the gain is backed all the way down, it loses too much volume to balance to other high gain setting snapshots. Actually, I can get them to match decently, if I back off the master and channel volume on the higher gain snapshots BUT I get a loud popping sound through the speakers when I switch from the high gain snapshot to low gain snapshot. I have also tried a gain block to increase gain on the low gain settings but still get popping. Same thing if I use the IR block to adjust gain. If I don't go so extreme on cleaning up the Revv amp, then the popping doesn't happen. This is unfortunate because this amp model actually has a decent clean-ish sound with gain at zero, channel volume and master at 10 - at least with the IR's I'm using.

Has anyone else experienced this? What solutions have you come up with?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

I’m not 100% sure but I expect this is entirely normal. Not sure what can be done about it. 

I expect you’d find the same behaviour in the ‘real’ world using analog equipment if you were able to make multiple simultaneous changes to your gain staging.

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

I’m not 100% sure but I expect this is entirely normal. Not sure what can be done about it. 

I expect you’d find the same behaviour in the ‘real’ world using analog equipment if you were able to make multiple simultaneous changes to your gain staging.

I am getting the same thing occasionally after this update.  I would not call it "entirely normal" because it didn't happen before this update. Maybe it is a consequence of the new "core" or whatever but it definitely didn't happen previous to me installing 2.8 and now I do get it.

I "did" get a very short momentary volume increase (kinda like a blast/pop) on some snapshot switching in 2.71, so it's not just started from 2.8, at least for me. I never did figure it out, I learned to be mindful of when I switched snapshots and that helped some.