Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to helix floor

Minieggs1

You don't NEED to update firmware. Helix was pretty stable by 2.3. There have been several new amp models, effects, and features since then, but your will work fine. Maybe look at 

https://line6.com/software/index.html

and see if any of the newer updates has anything you really want.

Yes, you can record right into a hardware multitrack using XLR or 1/4" outputs on the Helix. 

58 minutes ago, Minieggs1 said:

hi ,im newbie to helix floor .two things id like to know. Is there any need to update from .2.3 . Firmware. I hav no internet....also can i record into a multirack  studio without using a daw.any info would be great thanks.

1) Well you've got internet somewhere, cause here you are...;)

You don't have to do anything... but the 2.3 firmware is rather old at this point. You'd be missing various amp/fx models, and other features/functions. But obviously you'll need a computer with internet access to connect to your Helix in order to do the update. There's no way around that.

2) Not entirely sure what you're asking as far as recording is concerned... if you're asking if it's possible to take Helix into an old-school analog facility with 2" reel-to-reel tape,  and plug straight into the board...yes, you can. But there aren't a whole lot of those joints left, and the ones that do exist will cost you one of your kidneys for a few hours of time....vs any functional laptop and a $60 copy of Reaper.

Thanks cruisnon..just trying to get my head round this stuff ,not the most computer literate person around. One of the resons for asking about updating from 2.3 is from what ive read lots of people seem to have problems with their new update ,and  the 2.3 has lots to keep me busy  for a good while... so is there any reason to get an update other than more more amps cabs effects ect . Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, jester700 said:

You don't NEED to update firmware. Helix was pretty stable by 2.3. There have been several new amp models, effects, and features since then, but your will work fine. Maybe look at 

Yes, you can record right into a hardware multitrack using XLR or 1/4" outputs on the Helix. 

1 hour ago, jester700 said:

Thanks jester thanks for your time.

If you're skittish about the newest 2.80 firmware, I suggest you just update to 2.71. It is a much easier procedure, and it has most of the models and features of 2.80, especially if you use Helix as a standalone unit, not connecting with PC or any other Line6 devices.

I assumed you were using some kind of standalone recorder, whether a separate mixing board and tape/hard disk recorder or an all-in-one hardware unit. I have a 24 track hardware device for location recording and Helix works just fine with it.

16 hours ago, jester700 said:

If you're skittish about the newest 2.80 firmware, I suggest you just update to 2.71. It is a much easier procedure, and it has most of the models and features of 2.80, especially if you use Helix as a standalone unit, not connecting with PC or any other Line6 devices.

I assumed you were using some kind of standalone recorder, whether a separate mixing board and tape/hard disk recorder or an all-in-one hardware unit. I have a 24 track hardware device for location recording and Helix works just fine with it.

Thanks jester, haven,t got a recorder yet ,was just trying to work it  all out before i started spending money.  now looking at the computer audio interface daw world  am looking at all the options, bit daunting for me.only just learned how set up an email account.lol but begining to suss out the tech side of things.anyway thanks for your advice and your time its very helpfull to me cheers .

44 minutes ago, Minieggs1 said:

Thanks jester, haven,t got a recorder yet ,was just trying to work it  all out before i started spending money.  now looking at the computer audio interface daw world  am looking at all the options, bit daunting for me.only just learned how set up an email account.lol but begining to suss out the tech side of things.anyway thanks for your advice and your time its very helpfull to me cheers .

It will, of course, depend on how well you can learn to "computer", but my attitude is that most things that CAN be done on a computer are BETTER done there - though I know others may disagree. I've had a few little hardware based home studio rigs (and still do), but computer DAWs are just a whole other critter - an awesome critter. Mixing, editing, mastering... and in many cases the software is free or cheap. Take your time, don't stress about it, and ENJOY the recording process as you do playing. Then you can decide what's best for you with a clear & open mind.