Sign in to follow this  
PJ03029174

Single Studio Monitor As A Guitar Amp With Hd500

Hi

I'm thinking of purchasing a HD500.i am a bedroom guitarist and would like to use a small amplifier for times when i dont want to use headphones. Im thinking of using a single studio monitor (Maybe a HS80M?) and place it on the floor angled up.

This is my kit

Tele

HD500

Scarlett 2i2

Dell i7 Laptop

Studio Monitor (via Left Line Out on 2i2)

What do you guys think, will this sound ok? the only other option is a FRFR PA Speaker which might be abit too powerful.

Id really appreciate any feedback, i havnt seen many people try this, i assume because they use studio monitors already setup to PC but i would quite like to treat the speaker as a practice amp i can move around

A single studio monitor is fine for your purposes. Make sure you feed it with a summed mono signal from the HD500 output; that means the L/MONO 1/4" output rather than one of the XLR outputs. Also, placing it on the floor will add a 'boomy' sound emphasizing the low end. If you don't like that you can raise it off the floor somehow. Also be aware that you will hear a different sound from the monitor than you do from your headphones. This is normal, and due to the different characteristics of the devices. You may find you want to maintain two sets of differently EQ'd presets; one for headphones and one for the monitor.

• Upvote 1

You will need to adjust the HPF and LPF filters on the monitor and you will need to put the monitor on a Auralex pad.

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Mopad-XL-MOPAD-XL/dp/B00266HBSU/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1389291194&sr=1-4

Here is a recent discussion:

http://line6.com/support/topic/4864-what-is-the-best-option-for-a-big-and-full-“amp-in-the-roomâ€-feel-at-home-volumes-with-pod-hd500-frfr-keyboard-amp-pe60-dt25-etc/

I agree with the comments from Silverhead. I used a pair of Presonus Eris 8's, and that worked pretty well. For me that set up sounded very good on acoustic (JTV) and clean patches. The high gain sounds were a little brittle and forced some adjustments to my patches when running this way. Also due to the exposed cones on studio monitors, they're really not practical for gigging, but in your home it won't matter.

Also thinking about a keyboard speaker, i imagine the studio would have a flatter response so better for modelling

If you have the ability to try different items that would be best. All rooms interact differently and if you have a room with a bed, carpet, drapes, etc., all of those items will effect the "in room" frequency response. Without a good mic and audio software, you will never know what provides the "flattest" response. That is why it would be best to try different products if possible, a keyboard amp might provide a better response and vice versa with the monitor. Preference play's a big part, plug into what ever you can get your hands on and keep the item that sounds best to you.

Best of luck, keep us updated on your journey.