Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix ASIO driver and Cubase 10

SteveJohns

Hi.   I'm getting up-to-speed on integrating my new Helix Floor into my Cubase 10 recording rig. 

Here is the experience I'm having with the Helix connected to my computer via USB:

In Cubase I open a project which was created before I even owned the Helix.  IOW, this saved project could have no idea about Helix or the Helix ASIO driver. 

However, what I find is that the Helix ASIO driver is now the Cubase ASIO driver, putting me in a position where I do not recognize the names of the audio inputs and outputs as previously in use.

Now, strangely (probably by design!), things do seem to "work" - I can record my guitar into Cubase and can play back my prior recorded tracks and hear them.   The thing is, I have no idea what is really going on - why I'm even able to hear things, how the guitar is getting in and the pre-recorded audio is getting out.   IOW, I suppose I just don't understand sufficiently how ASIO/audio works in Cubase, and especially how things change when the Helix is connected.

My past history is using the Cubase with my MOTU 2408 mkII interface (which I do understand well), and also (more recently) using Cubase with my Motif XS keyboard and the Firewire ASIO interface (which causes the Motif to "take the place" of the MOTU 2408 mkII).

Is there someone who has this all straight in their head who can write come words of enlightenment here that will help me to fully grasp the situation?   Or, can someone point me to Helix ASIO driver docs which would explain it?

If so, many thanks!

ASIO Helix.jpg

Audio Connections Helix-Cubase.jpg

There is hardly anyhing to explain. If you use Helix Multi Output for monitoring, USB 1/2 outputs are wired to Hx outputs and to your DAW inputs and USB 1/2 input (DAW monitoring output) is also wired to that output "combo" .
The manual is self explanatory and has nice pictures.

Like The_Elf said. Choose your asio device in the right panel of your studio setup, by clicking on "VST Audio System"!

In Windows, you can only have 1 actve, unfortunately ;-) You should better save your busses configuration in the audio connection panel for all your asio devices (you have to configure your Helix Asio busses properly before). In that case it's easy to switch cards, by selecting the proper bus configurations :-) 

I personally use mostly my Motu Ultralite's asio, and record Helix via the spdif in, and only switch to the Helix asio, when i need to record my dry guitar signal together with my processed one (usb7), but that's me ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SteveJohns said:

Also, great discussion of Re-amping Through Helix on p. 54-55.    Very nice to be able to record wet and dry at once via USB.   Good design!

Even better than reading about it - watch how it's done.