Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why no 15W amp anymore?

flwolf

Who made this decision?? You're losing sales! It was the ideal amp for beginners and even seasoned guitarists like me. Mine stays at home always ready to play and rehearse. I also have a 30W, but use it only on occasional gigs. Why give up this great little amp? After all, you didn't have to re-invent the wheel, you had it already. Oh well, I have one... 

IMO the V30 is more than small enough, the wattage is just a number contrived by Maximum absolute peak levels by the looks of it - no way is that a real 30W  , I`ve heard Squier 15W guitar package amps louder  ..  my V240 isn`t a real 240W either - a Peavey Chorus 212  from the 80s/90s is a real 240W , transformer that would shame a 100W Valve amp and a proper heatsink out in the open a foot square . No idea where L6 (Yamaha) get these wattage ratings from 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:11 PM, Adam_T said:

IMO the V30 is more than small enough, the wattage is just a number contrived by Maximum absolute peak levels by the looks of it - no way is that a real 30W  , I`ve heard Squier 15W guitar package amps louder  ..  my V240 isn`t a real 240W either - a Peavey Chorus 212  from the 80s/90s is a real 240W , transformer that would shame a 100W Valve amp and a proper heatsink out in the open a foot square . No idea where L6 (Yamaha) get these wattage ratings from 

Maybe . . . I have the 20 though. Got it for my son, and to me, it's perfect.

I keep hoping they give it the new update eventually. It's honestly not necessary, but more features is always cool. 

11 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Maybe . . . I have the 20 though. Got it for my son, and to me, it's perfect.

I keep hoping they give it the new update eventually. It's honestly not necessary, but more features is always cool. 

The 20W version doesn't have a tweeter, so it's kind of always been in Classic Mode.

On 8/6/2019 at 2:11 PM, Adam_T said:

I believe the wattage rating includes the tweeter as well as the woofer... Not sure how they actually split up. But wattage ratings of speakers have always been only a little bit better than meaningless insofar as to how it relates to the actual SPL of the speaker.

11 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The 20W version doesn't have a tweeter, so it's kind of always been in Classic Mode.

Interesting . . . well . . . I always liked the sound of it. lol

It does have an acoustic setting though as one of the defaults. How can they pull that off without a tweeter? 

16 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Interesting . . . well . . . I always liked the sound of it. lol

It does have an acoustic setting though as one of the defaults. How can they pull that off without a tweeter? 

Every amp has an acoustic setting - you just plug an acoustic in and turn the gain down....