Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit (2.81) and Helix Native starting with with a "blank" screen and crash

naturian

24 minutes ago, spenserj87 said:

I've now run into a situation where I can't boot into the BIOS. 

UEFI mode tends to boot too fast for the old bios entry hotkeys. You have three options to get there:

1. open a command prompt as admin, and type:

shutdown /r /t 2 /fw
*the first time you enter that on a computer, you'll get an error. Run the same command a second time
2. click the start button, power, then hold the SHIFT key while clicking Restart. On the next screen, choose Troubleshoot, then Restart to UEFI Firmware Settings.

3. install the ASRock Restart to UEFI app located here: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/Others/RestartToUEFI(v1.0.5).zip

(you can also find that by searching their support section for downloads for your board)

18 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Some stellar troubleshooting work here! If you have not already you should provide this information directly to Line6 in a ticket. Don't rely on them seeing it here. This could be very helpful information if it proves to be accurate and you do seem to have a repeatable test case. If it is not the sole possible cause for this issue it will still help narrow things down and assist in finding any other causes.

Support linked that very post to me, so if somebody didn't tell them they found out anyway. I do hope this issue will be solved in the software, since not everybody will be able to easily figure out how to do it.

I just plugged my OS storage in the first SATA port and moved all other drives in the other ports in sequence. It was a bit of a mess before, but now DiskPart sees my OS storage as Disk 0 and HX Edit works.  

Kudos to Camelot_One for the solution!

On 4/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, Camelot_One said:

Good catch, typo fixed.
Yeah your video card fix had me stumped. I tried the Intel IGP, as well as Radeon and Nvidia cards, different monitors, resolutions, all with no luck. It is a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if your RAID was originally Disk 0, and it was the fresh hardware detection being kicked off by a new video card that re-ordered drives.

Or, there could just be multiple things that can cause the problem.

I got curious and verfied my disk enumeration and pulled the video card. I have 2.9 working on the onboard graphics. You are probably right on this. Really nice grab. Kudos to you for your efforts.

IT

ACTUALLY 

WORKED!!! OMG!

This is a little bit witchcraft nonesense but it worked! After 10 months of writing tickets to support and listening from every smartguy in helix fb groups that my high end pc is a piece of crap it actually worked!

All kudos to You, Camelot_One. Tell me where can i send some good flask of anything to drink?! Line6 should throw money to you, seriously...

tl;dr No disk0 at beginning of list - HX EDIT SOFT WILL NOT WORK. 

I just changed sata cables in mobo.

so happy right now!

hx1.png

hx2.png

• Like 1

Well, add me to the list of success fixes.  I rearranged my SATA drive cables and finally got Disk 0 to show, HX Edit works perfectly.

Camelot_One rocks!  However, I'm still having an issue booting into BIOS (I realize this is my problem, although I appreciate the assistance received).  I had already tried the troubleshooting bootup and I had already tried the AS Rock Restart to UEFI utility.  Computer reboots to a blank screen.  It's like it's not showing the video of it, but I've tried different video configurations.  It's not stuck per se.  If I run the utility, it reboots, stuck at a blank screen.  If I Ctrl-Alt-Del the computer reboots - so it isn't a keyboard issue and it isn't hardware stuck.  It's like it's not displaying the UEFI BIOS screen.  Never had that happen before so I'm not sure what is going on.  It should have nothing to do with not having the ASRock drivers installed, right?  It's a BIOS screen.

The only reason I care to get into UEFI is that one of my drives isn't showing in Windows - not unless I use a specific SATA cable configuration (which of course removes Disk0).  I'll figure it out...

On 4/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, Camelot_One said:

TL;DR: skip to the end for a possible solution

I've spent the past 4 days troubleshooting this. Different drivers, different video cards, sound cards, USB ports, cables, everything I could think of. I was able to consistently reproduce the issue, namely that I could use HX Edit 2.70 and Native 1.70 perfectly on my desktop, but all versions of HX Edit 2.71 / Native 1.71 and newer flat out wouldn't work on the same computer, despite working just fine on my laptop. I can confidently say it has nothing to do with the Helix device, the USB cable, or the USB port. (there are other issues that can crop up from each of those, but not THIS issue) You can identify the issue without the Helix connected at all, just from HX Edit opening with a semi-transparent background rather than black, or Native not showing anything at all when loaded. When HX Edit opens with the transparent background, you can let it sit there forever and it will stay open. Once you connect the Helix, you'll see the title bar momentarily switch from No Device Connected to the name of the Helix device, then the program vanishes.

This is what HX Edit is supposed to look like if you open it without a device connected:
HXEdit_Working.thumb.jpg.1afd02523d2b69c9bb07904b522c12e1.jpg

And here is what it looks like with no device connected when it isn't going to work:
HXEdit_Broken.thumb.jpg.5b07bd7784cce4d915ee5fd7c7965ef2.jpg

The trees are part of my desktop background. Both of those screen shots are taking on the exact same system, same OS install, hardware, software, drivers, etc. Same HX Edit version (2.90). The only difference is the UEFI/Bios drive order.

I stumbled on this by chance as I was testing a clean install on a different drive. This desktop has 2x stand alone Samsung 970 Evo NVME drives, (OS on one of them), a SATA Bluray drive, and 2x 6Tb SATA drives set up as a mirrored Microsoft Storage Spaces drive. When the bios detects either of those Storage Spaces connected drives before the others, HX Edit and Native won't work. As long as any other directly accessible drive is seen as Disk 0, HX Edit and Native work like they should.

And this is really easy to check: open a command prompt as Administrator and type the following commands:
DiskPart

List Disk

You should get a list of the drives in your system. Look on the left for the Disk number and make sure the list starts at Disk 0. It doesn't have to be the drive your OS is on, it just needs to show up as Disk 0 and show a status of Online. When my Storage Spaces drives are detected first, my drive numbers start at 1 or above, Drive 0 isn't listed at all, and HX Edit/Native won't work. I am able to consistently reproduce both the problem and the fix by shifting the bios drive detection order. I think what is happening is that the software does some sort of quick hardware detection at startup, and gets hung up if Disk 0 isn't online. (The emulated Storage Space drive will show up as a separate, higher Disk number) I suspect the same problem might occur when the first disk is part of a RAID.

So if DiskPart doesn't show a Disk 0 with a status of Online,  go into the bios and try to re-order your drives. On my ASRock Z390, I was able to do this by just disabling both SATA controllers, restarting, then turning them back on. That shifted the NVME drives to the front of the line, with the SATA storage spaces drives at the end. (Note: this is the drive detection order, NOT the boot order) You could also try changing the physical port your drives are connected to. Or if all of your drives are part of a storage space or RAID, you could try adding another drive to the mix.

@Camelot_One  Again just a fantastic job of troubleshooting. IMHO this should be posted under a fresh topic that does not include a title that refers to 2.81 but instead describes the problem, e.g. "Blank Screen When HX Edit or Native Launched".  This post deserves to be shared under a broader topic heading.

Unless this was something Line6 fixed in the 2.91 HX Edit and firmware, this issue, as you have demonstrated, appears to be caused by HX Edit doing some kind of a partition or disk configuration check that fails on machines where the bios is not reporting "Disk 0". This post could potentially help users suffering from this issue on whatever versions of HX Edit perform this check. I would imagine Line6 will modify HX Edit to eliminate or do this check differently so hopefully it will not be an issue in future versions. For anyone on older versions or until this is fixed though, your post will remain a helpful resource.

another confirm thanks for your hard work....i have a acer predator helios and they stock put the m.2 ssd in disk 1 slot and the 2nd spot was hdd there was nothing in slot 0 so i moved the m.2 there and now hx edit works

Hello,

Thank you for THE SOLUTION :-)

I've both Helix Native and HX Edit working now on my laptop... (2 ssds and 2 two Hdds inside...)

I removed all the hard drives and just left the ssd where windows was installed. Check make sure that the disk was disk 0 with diskpart and I was able to authorize the plugin ...

After, my installation worked normally ...

Thank you very much !!!

3 hours ago, massatari said:

One of the more frustrating aspects. "must be yur pc hurdahur."

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not going to re-read the thread, but saying "it must be your computer" is not the same as "your high-end PC is a piece of crap".

Considering that the cure turned out to be a problem with hardware configuration on certain computers, I'd say that "it must be your computer" did, in this case, turn out to be the correct diagnosis.

THANK YOU!

This worked for me too. I had exactly the same issue and raised tickets with Line 6 back in September for them to be archived and me giving up.

I moved my SATA connections around to the correct ports. Restarted the SATA ports within the BIOS and we are up and running on Disk 0.

Hi all,

I had this same issue and and  the hard drive fix above didn't work, my hard drives showed disk 0 correctly.

Mine was related to a corrupt WMI. If you are still having this issue, try these cmd commands in Windows 10

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If it says that Repository is not consistent, then you need to run:

winmmgmt /salvagerepository

If that doesn't work (which it didn't for me) finally try:

winmgmt /resetrepository

Then run the verify command again and it should now say the Repository is consistent. I had to run these commands in safe mode.

I tried everything else, including system restore, reinstalling helix and old versions. This made it work perfectly. Worth a shot if anyone out there has yet to find a fix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got pushed here by support as well.

My issues are:

I have a Disk 0 - it isn't my win install disk

My winmgmt repository is consistent.

I thought the drive number issue would be the problem, rather than anything else on my machine, as HX Native worked on this machine before.  I have not actually had the LT plugged in for awhile so not tried the HX Edit.

I think a problem I may have is that my Disk 0 could be a USB drive, just in the way that random things work.  I am going to test that now and see what happens.

Edit:

Ok, so I turned off SATA ports in my bios, unplugged my USB drive, checked DiskPart, List Disk which was reduced to a single NVMe drive, which was DIsk 0 which is my windows install device.

Uninstalled as per instructions from support, including the deletion of the app data.  Reinstalled the version they asked me to install.

Didn't change a thing.

Still get stuck on the splash screen.

For the poster earlier, I actually paid for this, this isn't a trial.  This is $400 software, I don't understand how it can be that so many people are having this same issue with software.  Turning off hard drives? Re-assigning drive letters, just to get an emulator to run, on a system it ran on before?  This isn't a hardware problem.

I am now going to try and run an SSD with a borked version of windows as my only drive to see if that works.

Edited by Dravinian

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people saved by this!

After a Win10 clean install, neither Helix Native nor Helix Edit would run.  Someone on TGP pointed me here and, sure enough, I found that the drive allocated as Disk 0 (non-system) was showing offline.  A quick re-seat of a sata cable and I was back in business.

On my TGP post, Frank Ritchotte responded promptly and recognized the issue and said it would be addressed in v3.0.  (my TGP post is also under "Spemph")

Thanks to Camelot_One for the work here and to SwirlyMaple at TGP for pointing me here!!

• 2 months later...

For those of you who are still having problems... (Skip to the bottom paragraph if you like)

I'm a beginner and I'm interested in Line6 products. I don't currently own any but I have started the Helix Native trial on 1.92 (mistaken download even though 1.93 was available). It worked fine. I upgraded to 1.93 and it would crash in Reaper with an "executed illegal instruction" error. I googled it and ended up in this thread. I also installed PodGo Edit a couple of weeks ago and it would crash immediately before showing the interface leaving an application error in the windows event log. I just wanted to see the interface but had no idea the PodGo had to be connected to see that. I have a ThinkPad with a Samsung EVO SSD (boot and OS drive), a 16 GB M.2 (formatted and used as backup, not bootable) and a Samsung 256 GB MicroSD. After reading this thread I took a look at my drive order and the SSD is 0, the M.2 is 1 and the MicroSD is 2 so not the same problem described in this thread. I decided to eject the MicroSD and try Helix Native again. It worked. This got me thinking that maybe PodGo Edit suffered from the same problem. I ran it and it worked as well. (That's when I found out that it just shows a device not connected screen.) 

I believe Line6 uses the serial number of your boot drive as the encryption key (this is common) but the software seems to choke on drives that don't have a serial number like a removable MicroSD (They do have one but Windows won't show it to you). You can tell by entering "wmic diskdrive get serialnumber" at a command prompt. You will see all of your drive serial numbers listed below the header "SerialNumber". In my case I have a blank line as the first entry because the MicroSD doesn't have a serial number. When I eject it, I don't have a blank line and see only the serial numbers from the other two drives. It seems like it's probably a NULL pointer crash. The other odd thing is that it may only fail for people that have that drive first in their wmic list even though it's not disk 0. You can probably plug the MicroSD back in after the software is running and authenticated. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, fremen said:

Still having problem with this too. I tried everything suggested in this thread, nothing works. This affects both HX Edit and Pod Go Edit for me. And both used to work a few weeks ago

This is already a long thread, and I'm not going to re-read it all.

If you would please start a new thread, with info about your HW and OS, plus which version of the Helix HXEdit and FW you're on, we can try to narrow down the issue.

FWIW - when I first got my Helix I bought your big preset pack, and learned a lot from it. I do hope I can help solve your problem!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, usedbyanr said:

I believe Line6 uses the serial number of your boot drive as the encryption key (this is common) but the software seems to choke on drives that don't have a serial number like a removable MicroSD (They do have one but Windows won't show it to you). You can tell by entering "wmic diskdrive get serialnumber" at a command prompt. You will see all of your drive serial numbers listed below the header "SerialNumber". In my case I have a blank line as the first entry because the MicroSD doesn't have a serial number. When I eject it, I don't have a blank line and see only the serial numbers from the other two drives. It seems like it's probably a NULL pointer crash. The other odd thing is that it may only fail for people that have that drive first in their wmic list even though it's not disk 0. You can probably plug the MicroSD back in after the software is running and authenticated. 

Bingo! This solved my issue- ejecting MicroSD card from laptop got Native 1.93 working with Reaper 6.14 x64 for me.  Somebody pin this and update the installation instructions to temporarily remove/eject flash memory during installation.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, usedbyanr said:

You may need to remove/eject the flash every time you start the software depending where the drive is initialized. Sometimes the microSD is first in my wmic list and sometimes it is not. I suppose it depends on what windows decides to do at boot.

Wonder if some folks may be able to get around this by changing their boot order from the motherboard's BIOS settings. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mr_fruitbowl said:

Have the same issue with Windows 10, Helix Native 3.0, and FL Studio using SD card.

Any idea how to fix permanently fix issue with SD card, so that I don't need to keep unplugging and plugging back in?

Based on what I suggested the issue is likely to be in my first post, I would say they need to fix the bug. You can open a command prompt and type in "wmic diskdrive get serialnumber". If you see a blank line below the SerialNumber header then it's likely to crash. I can't remember if the disk order can change on reboot but that could help. You might want to try ejecting, reboot then push it back in to see where it lands.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I tried that last night hoping it would work:

Shutdown -> Take out SD  -> Turn on -> Plug in SD after Windows boots

Unfortunately still the same issue and a blank line above the serial number :(

It's a real pain for me as I've a lot of audio files I work with on the SD

Edited by mr_fruitbowl

1 hour ago, mr_fruitbowl said:

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I tried that last night hoping it would work:

Shutdown -> Take out SSD -> Turn on -> Plug in SSD after Windows boots

Unfortunately still the same issue and a blank line above the serial number :(

It's a real pain for me as I've a lot of audio files I work with on the SSD

I mentioned this in my second post. First I will assume you meant SD card rather than SSD drive (you said SD card in your first post) but if it is actually an SSD you could probably do the same. You can eject the SD card which will remove it from the list. You can then start your DAW and open Helix Native to let it initialize. After it has initialized I don't believe it will attempt to read the drive serial numbers again. You can then push your SD card back in to access the audio files. I don't have enough experience with Helix Native and a DAW to know what happens if you attach the plugin to multiple tracks or add it to a new track after pushing the SD card back in.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, neilayer said:

My computer has no Drive 0 and was having the blank screen problem described above. I just updated to HX Edit 2.92 and firmware 3.00 and now IT WORKS!

Glad to hear that! One note, maybe you already did this already, but if you are on firmware 3.0 now you should also download and install HX Edit 3.0.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear!

I think I mentioned in a previous post in this thread (or in a linked thread), that Frank Ritchotte was aware of the issue and claimed it would be addressed in 3.0.  Great that they followed through (and I had no doubts that they would!)  Just one more GREAT addition in the fabulous 3.0 firmware!  They really nailed it with this update.  Amazing the value added in this update!

...and I second that you will want HX Edit 3.0 in addition to the 3.0 firmware.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am running HX Edit 3.11.  So I changed my SSD to a larger drive and started experiencing this issue...it didn't happen with the old SSD with my 128GB SD card in.  I did a clean install of 3.11 with the same result...HX Edit wouldn't start.  I was able to simply remove my SD card and HX Edit would start and I could then reinsert the SD card.  I did find that when I ran the get serialnumber command without the SD card there would be no line under the "SerialNumber", but when I ran it with the SD card in I got the extra line under the "SerialNumber" header.

• 2 months later...

Please make this forum thread as visible to others as possible...
Even a mandatory "readme" info during/after the installation -  to at least unplug all the drives when using HX edit or HX Native
I don't have any DISK 0 issues, but it's simply a mere presence of the SD memory card in my PC (it being plugged in).
Unplugging the memory card solves the issue for both HX Edit and Helix Native as they most probably don't crash reading the serial number of disk.
I'd say that HX Edit doesn't even need to perform this check but it does.

Would this be an open source it would have already been fixed... 

Anyway,

Thanks to all of you who contributed to solve this issue... I owe you a lot!!! And also thanks to this forum that brought me here
Helix Native & Helix HX Edit issue... anyone seen similar | The Gear Page

I opened a support ticket for this problem ages ago and urged them to fix it. This is the reply I got:

"On the development side, I'm uncertain of the current direction with this, or if it will be addressed on forthcoming software releases. You're welcome to submit your request on Idea Scale , this is the proper channel for any matters concerning future product and software development". 

That's pathetic. Shame on Line 6.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi I've been complaining to Line 6 for a long time since Helix Native was working at version 1.90 and then it hasn't worked since. I have a Surface Pro 6 and I use the SD Card for samples so it's not optional. The images show Disk 0 so I'm looking for any suggestions.

Screenshot 2022-06-30 221522.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-30 221553.jpg