Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard - Battery status lights odd behaviour

andyfarrar

Just bought a Variax Standard. Updated to latest firmware (was 2.21, now 2.23). Workbench HD loaded and working. All behaving as it should so far. The behavior of the battery status lights on the back of the guitar is a little odd, and not as described in the manual. Battery is fully charged. First press of the status button shows 4 lights, as it should. A second press lights up lights 1 to 4 in sequence  (1 comes on, then goes off, then 2 does the same, then 3, then 4). A third press flashes light 2, then light 1, then light 1 a second time, then light 2 again. Fourth press goes back to showing the status (4 lights on again). Is this as it should be? What does it mean?  It's not random - the sequence is exactly the same every time, so I'm guessing it's some sort of testing or status indication. I'm a bit worried about battery life though - I bought the guitar brand new today, but I know it's older stock and the serial number on the guitar starts Y15, which I guess means it's a 2015 guitar. Shelf life on these types of batteries is typically 3 years or so whether used or not.

Not sure about the LED sequence.  Would like to know myself.  

Unused shelf life of these and similar 18605 Lithium cells much longer than 3 years.

Stored roughly 50% SOC (state of charge) under cool moderate temperatures these cells will last much much longer.  7-10 years should not out of the question for quality cells.  

Cycle life is another matter.  Full cycles, partial cycles.  There’s that number depending on specific chemistry/brand.  

But if not cycled I would suggest burn off the top charge and remove from guitar.  50% is ideal but even 10% drop in SOC for storage will reap major benefits.  

With a fully charge battery pack, play yer guitar for 20-30 minutes then remove the pack from guitar.  Store in moderate climate.  

Jerseyboy thanks for that - very useful information. I still have no idea about the LED sequence, but I'm only getting about 4 hours use out of this battery when the manual says I should get at least 12. It turns out this guitar was display stock in a retail store for nearly 4 years, and the retailer can't tell me how well the battery was looked after or how many cycles it might have on it. They've agreed to replace the battery at no cost to me.  

Yeah, it’s likely duff battery pack.  Good on them to replace.  

Lithium chemistries can be damaged rather easily.  Over discharge, stored at full charge for long periods of time, excess heat.  Lead and Nickel chemistries tolerate more general abuse but come up short on the high performance C rate, energy density self-discharge scale.  

Rock on!