Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Restore Global Settings in 2.81

TheDarkKnight1

Hi everyone,

I updated my Helix to 2.81. Everything went without a problem. I did read the "read me" section and it did mention that the global settings would be reset. I neglected to write them down before the update and now I have to figure out all my outputs and such. Is there a way to restore just the global settings to the way I had them before the 2.81 update? Thank you for any help.

If you did not create a backup while running v2.80, and you did not write them down, I think the only way to restore them is from memory.

If you created a backup before upgrading to v2.80 you can restore that backup. When restoring you can choose to restore only the global settings. This will restore your global settings to what they were in the firmware you were running prior to v2.80. Any changes you made while running v2.80 will be lost. . Of course you should make backups of your v2.81 presets/setlists before doing this.

24 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight1 said:

Hi everyone,

I updated my Helix to 2.81. Everything went without a problem. I did read the "read me" section and it did mention that the global settings would be reset. I neglected to write them down before the update and now I have to figure out all my outputs and such. Is there a way to restore just the global settings to the way I had them before the 2.81 update? Thank you for any help.

Hi,

If you read the “Read Me” section then you would have performed a “Backup” before proceeding with the update?

If you did fine - just restore you stuff.

If not, well... Welcome to the long dark night of the soul!

Read Me

I am truly relieved that I can restore the global settings from the backup I made last night. My guess will be that once I connect the Helix, I go to HXEDIT and then file then restore from backup? Then when I click on the file I saved, it will ask me what I wish to restore?

13 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight1 said:

I am truly relieved that I can restore the global settings from the backup I made last night. My guess will be that once I connect the Helix, I go to HXEDIT and then file then restore from backup? Then when I click on the file I saved, it will ask me what I wish to restore?

The beauty of the backup file is you can select to restore the Globals only - just put a little green tick in the Globals only box - result! JOY!

Thank you so much guys! As a bassist, it was a little daunting getting involved with a beast like the Helix. Now that I've made the jump and have been using it up and down the East coast, having skilled "users" being available to answer any questions around the clock makes my decision to get the Helix the best I could have made. Once again, thank you so much for all of the help.

• Thanks 1

I need urgent help! I tried to update to 2.81 following all the instructions but something went wrong. The process got stuck for 3 hours and I had to close everything, hoping that I could reset the device. Now I try to reset the factory settings and it's impossible. Line 6 updater doesn't recognize my Helix. I have tried with 6 &12 footswitches and the screen displays the message "Entered Update Mode!", but the updater won't recognize any device. I have tried with different USB cables, in EVERY USB port in the PC, and it doesn't work.

I have read every thread about this, but nothing seems to work.

I have a very important gig tomorrow and if I don't fix it I am in trouble.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, negropol said:

I need urgent help! I tried to update to 2.81 following all the instructions but something went wrong. The process got stuck for 3 hours and I had to close everything, hoping that I could reset the device. Now I try to reset the factory settings and it's impossible. Line 6 updater doesn't recognize my Helix. I have tried with 6 &12 footswitches and the screen displays the message "Entered Update Mode!", but the updater won't recognize any device. I have tried with different USB cables, in EVERY USB port in the PC, and it doesn't work.

I have read every thread about this, but nothing seems to work.

I have a very important gig tomorrow and if I don't fix it I am in trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You seem to be a little late to this party and drivers on Windows PCs seem to have been a large part of the issue. I’m guessing that you’re using Windows 10.

Some threads which may contain helpful work arounds for the driver thing.

https://line6.com/support/topic/48446-28-update-stuck-in-boot-failure-entered-update-mode/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48526-helix-lt-28-update-frozen/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48466-helix-lt-failed-while-updating-28/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48425-installed-28-helix-rack-bricked-cant-roll-back-boot-mode-does-fail/

I’m not a Windows mechanic so this is the best I can offer, although this place has been alive with this stuff.

Hope this helps
  • Upvote 1

So I have another thread on here about some input clipping which started in 2.8 and is still there in 2.81. I am wondering if I can do what you guys are saying and just restore my Globals if that might fix it? As I am not home my question would be if I do the above and get to the restore part, will I get a choice of restoring Globals to 2.71 which I backed up, or would I have to restore it to 2.8 which I also backed up?

thanks!

You guys are the best!

PS I loved the line about “being a bassist it was a little daunting to get involved with the Helix.....”

Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing how bass players must look up to guitarists.

21 minutes ago, rwinking said:

PS I loved the line about “being a bassist it was a little daunting to get involved with the Helix.....”

Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing how bass players must look up to guitarists.

Why not? Up until recently I never used effects or any kind of processing. A whole new world has opened up to me with the Helix and learning from cool guitarists.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, TheDarkKnight1 said:

Thank you so much guys! As a bassist, it was a little daunting getting involved with a beast like the Helix. Now that I've made the jump and have been using it up and down the East coast, having skilled "users" being available to answer any questions around the clock makes my decision to get the Helix the best I could have made. Once again, thank you so much for all of the help.

If you're on Facebook you should check out the "Line 6 Helix Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL" one of the best internet communities I've ever seen.

15 hours ago, ThePup said:

I went from 2.80 to 2.81 with a FS 7/8 Helix Floor reset and found my global settings were not changed.  All I restored was my User presets.

Hi,

Yep, that’s what you get when you do a reset with FS 7 & 8 - That combination is to “Reset setlists to Factory, Keep IRs”

To Reset Globals on a Helix Floor unit you need the FS 5 & 6 combination while powering up.

Hope this helps 

A full set of reset options and other good things available from:

https://helixhelp.com

Note: if this link takes you to a 404 page, click the “Take me home” link.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

https://helixhelp.com

Note: if this link takes you to a 404 page, clink the “Take me home” link.

I contacted the fellow who administers and created that site about that 404 issue when you provide someone the link directly to the reset options page. If it is something he could fix I would prefer to send people the link directly to his page rather than cutting and pasting reset codes from there. Makes me feel dirty, like plagiarism :-)

Update: The kind soul, forum name,  jshimkoski, who administers the Helixhelp.com page got back to me(immediately I might add, thanks!) and says he will try to fix the link this weekend.

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

I contacted the fellow who administers and created that site about that 404 issue when you provide someone the link directly to the reset options page. If it is something he could fix I would prefer to send people the link directly to his page rather than cutting and pasting reset codes from there. Makes me feel dirty, like plagiarism :-)

Update: The kind soul, forum name,  jshimkoski, who administers the Helixhelp.com page got back to me(immediately I might add, thanks!) and says he will try to fix the link this weekend.

HiHo ;-)

I believe the guy’s name is “Jason” and he used to contribute on here, and can be contacted through his blog pages. When I last checked it stated the site was still in Beta development.

Great news if we can get direct links to the site as it is an excellent resource for Helix users