Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Gx With Cab/pa?

Potentially a really stupid question, but I need to ask no matter how stupid it sounds.

Is there a way to connect a Pod GX (yes I know it's for studio recording) to a cab or PA system?
I'm looking for a short term solution for effects just for practices.
Band wants to practice together, and I wasn't expecting it so soon, so I don't currently have a multi fx or anything until I can get one.

Is there a way to do this that will get good sound?

Thanks

It would be pretty easy to connect to a PA system. Just take a 1/4" cable from one of the outputs to a direct and into the PA. Of course, you'd to have a computer there, too. You could go into a guitar cab, but it probably wouldn't sound right. The POD Studios don't have different output modes available like the hardware PODs, so going to the PA is probably you best bet.

• Upvote 1

It would be pretty easy to connect to a PA system. Just take a 1/4" cable from one of the outputs to a direct and into the PA. Of course, you'd to have a computer there, too. You could go into a guitar cab, but it probably wouldn't sound right. The POD Studios don't have different output modes available like the hardware PODs, so going to the PA is probably you be

By "direct" you mean a DI unit?

Sorry if sounding stupid, just trying to avoid any confusion here.

Would that be 100% necessary?

The only output on the Pod GX is a 1/8 audio output, which I plug speakers into, so the setup you're speaking of I would get an AUX cable or something, put a 1/4 adapter on that, into the DI, and just from that to PA, correct? 

Thanks for the quick reply too (:

ALSO;

The place we practice at provides a head with the cab, forgot to mention. It wouldn't sound right going into the cab, so how about going into the head, to the cab, with the head/cab simulation removed from the tone in pod farm? (If that could be used at all, very new to Line 6 equipment and such)

You know, I was thinking that the GX had 1/4" outputs similar to the UX-1 and UX-2. I forgot that it only had that 1/8" stereo out. But it doesn't change that much. You would have to get an adapter to go from that to dual 1/4". If you wanted to run both to the board you could, or you could just do one. And, yes, by direct box I do mean a DI.

You could try going into amp and cab if the amp head has an effects return. You could try taking a 1/4" cable into that (again, you'd have to get the correct adapter to go from the 1/8" out). If you do that, you'd probably want to try disabling the cab model in POD Farm. You might get that to sound OK, but I think the PA would probably sound better. The PA would also be easier in the sense that you wouldn't have to necessarily change anything with your existing tones to have them sound right through the PA.

• Upvote 1

You know, I was thinking that the GX had 1/4" outputs similar to the UX-1 and UX-2. I forgot that it only had that 1/8" stereo out. But it doesn't change that much. You would have to get an adapter to go from that to dual 1/4". If you wanted to run both to the board you could, or you could just do one. And, yes, by direct box I do mean a DI.

You could try going into amp and cab if the amp head has an effects return. You could try taking a 1/4" cable into that (again, you'd have to get the correct adapter to go from the 1/8" out). If you do that, you'd probably want to try disabling the cab model in POD Farm. You might get that to sound OK, but I think the PA would probably sound better. The PA would also be easier in the sense that you wouldn't have to necessarily change anything with your existing tones to have them sound right through the PA.

Thank you so much for the help

I think now I know enough to get something sorted

I'll experiment and see what works best for me 

Again, thank you.