Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No "Mode" Option - Stuck in Snapshot

avanbaelen

Updated Firmware to 2.81 on my Helix Floor.

I usually keep my Helix in "8 Snapshot mode" and will press both up and down bank/preset switches to return to preset mode. This doesn't seem to work anymore.  Usually you can toggle the Mode button (FS6) but that is no longer available and it only displays "cancel". If I try to change the "Preset Mode Switches" to "Stomp/Preset' or any other setting in the global settings nothing happens either. 

I've reset global settings and restored factory presets numerous times but it hasn't helped. Anyone experience this or have a clue? 

Thanks in advance!

***Update - Resetting the global settings via the LCD menu did not correct this however when I did a Global reset with the button combination (FS5 and FS6) the "Cancel/Mode" button started working properly. To perform that reset turn off the helix then hold FS5 and FS6 and then turn it back on. This does a "Global Reset".

11 hours ago, RobertBuchholtz said:

The same over here. Stucked into snapshot mode after 2.81. The CANCEL switch is not bringing me back to the mode mode and i can´t also go to stomp mode anymore...

Hi,

Hold down Foot Switches 5 & 6 while powering up your Helix. Release the switches once you see the start up screen and the message saying the Globals are being reset. 

Hope this helps / makes sense

On 8/8/2019 at 3:43 AM, avanbaelen said:

Resetting the global settings via the LCD menu did not correct this

Hi,

I’m glad that you managed to get your Helix back to a fully functioning state.

I was intrigued by you saying, “Resetting the global settings via the LCD menu”, then I realised  you must have meant changing the parameters with the knobs whilst on  the Global Preferences screen. That had me confused for a moment, because although you maybe able to change those settings, it doesn’t change the situation. As you have discovered, in order to clear such a ”glitch”, you really need to perform a hard reset of the Global Settings.

Unfortunately, after a while, it happened again... From time to time, it freezes at the snapshot mode and unable to come back to stomp mode (only performing a global reset it comes back). It's definitely a new glitch in the 2.81 firmware that I never experienced before with any previous firmware ..

I have a similar problem.

I use the stomp(upper switches)/snap(lower switches) 8 switches mode.

When I press a bank switch, I can select a preset via the lower switches.

From time to time it happened, when I have selected a preset, it still shows the preset names and not the snapshots.

But I don't have to reset global settings, only a reboot. I think there is some bug in 2.81

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 11:20 AM, thomasDS said:

hope this won't happen while gigging, cause global resetting the device also erases my own built patches...

Well that's a first. I have never heard of anyone wiping their own custom patches with a Global Reset - unless, of course, what you really mean is "User Error"?

It is possible to do a Global Reset without erasing user presets by holding down FS 5&6 while powering up your Helix.

Here’s a list of Reset Options if you need them, which I guess you do!

Make a copy, print it out and keep it in your gig bag!

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Like 2

Here is another problem. Whyle im switching my snapshots, there is no changing in lights and display information. BUT! Sound is changing as it should change on current snapshot. Also when im changing block settings nothing going on on display and the same, sound is changing. Did global reset, preset rebuild, update from backup. Nothing helps. One more thing i noticed, if i select snapshot then press HOME information on the screen will change for current snapshot. AND if i change all effects from blocks to different LED will work properly and LCD too. Looks like there is some coflict between blocks\effects

17 minutes ago, xinkiex said:

Here is another problem. Whyle im switching my snapshots, there is no changing in lights and display information. BUT! Sound is changing as it should change on current snapshot. Also when im changing block settings nothing going on on display and the same, sound is changing. Did global reset, preset rebuild, update from backup. Nothing helps. One more thing i noticed, if i select snapshot then press HOME information on the screen will change for current snapshot. AND if i change all effects from blocks to different LED will work properly and LCD too. Looks like there is some coflict between blocks\effects

now its getting worse, i cannot see what parameters im editing

Here how it looks like

Snapshot glitch

http://imgur.com/gallery/Essizzv

Effect settings glitch

http://imgur.com/gallery/kL9fqeB

Is it possible to roll back to 2.71?

15 minutes ago, xinkiex said:

Here how it looks like

Snapshot glitch

http://imgur.com/gallery/Essizzv

Effect settings glitch

http://imgur.com/gallery/kL9fqeB

Is it possible to roll back to 2.71?

Have you tried doing a FS7 & FS8 reset?

3 hours ago, xinkiex said:

I can understand the frustration, but the “scattergun” approach of posting the same issue in different areas of the forum just causes confusion.

I had already posted a possible solution in another area, but I have no idea if you have tried the fix. I have also posted a similar set of reset procedures higher up in this thread. The same reset option has been posted here by “phil_m” and the roll back option has been described by “crusinon2”. Please advise us when the situation changes, preferably in a single thread.

TIA.

Global resets are not a “fix’ - this issue is recurrent, widespread, and unacceptable. Line 6 tech support also says global reset and when asked if this a version bug they said nobody else has had an issue. Hello? Line 6 you need to address and fix this quickly please - it’s been weeks and while the improvements in this release are nice, the mode latching is not acceptable and should have been addressed immediately; can’t do a “global reset” in the middle of a gig...

We deserve better response / communication than this...

Thanks...

On 8/10/2019 at 12:24 AM, RobertBuchholtz said:

The same over here. Stucked into snapshot mode after 2.81. The CANCEL switch is not bringing me back to the mode mode and i can´t also go to stomp mode anymore...

It happened to me once . Did global reset with Fs 5 & 6 and after I did restore global settings from backup .

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Global reset and after that I could exit at least the snapshot mode (but not to snapshots but to the signal chain mode, with the stomps and so). Thanks for the tip anyway...

Problem is still though, when I want to see my Presets again It only works with the bank up and down switches. But when I press up, the presets shown are the ones one bank below (so when I press bank up from snapshot mode, it goes from bank 1 where I was to bank 31 and 32), and when I press down the presets shown are the ones 2 banks higher (so the banks 3 and 4). Doesn't make any sense. This is completely random lollipop.

Hence I still can't quit from snapshot mode in bank 1 on my preset 1 back to the bank overview (preset mode) on bank 1-2. Only possible to change to banks 31-32 and banks 3-4. 

This is pointless....

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It was released last week.

Shame that this information wasn’t put into the pinned thread, along with all the other firmware update posts. It would have made it easier to spot for a newbie poster, such as brother Thomas, above. In fact it would have made it easier for many more Helix users, both old and new.

After Resetting, updating, a couple of restarts, restoring the  backup and restarting again it rebuilded the presets. An after that it is the same old problem. Bank up + bank down together don't work anymore. Now at least it stays in the same bank when I press one of the bank buttons. Damn this is such an annoying problem

24 minutes ago, supertonic_jack said:

After Resetting, updating, a couple of restarts, restoring the  backup and restarting again it rebuilded the presets. An after that it is the same old problem. Bank up + bank down together don't work anymore. Now at least it stays in the same bank when I press one of the bank buttons. Damn this is such an annoying problem

What do you mean Bank Up and Bank Down don't work anymore? What aren't they doing? Are you not able to enter and exit Snapshot Mode? You installed the 2.82 update?

I don't see any mention of a solution for the "stuck in snapshot mode"-problem listed in the description of bug fixes for 2.82... This is a recurring problem AND terribly anoying while gigging... I hope there will be a solution provided shortly

When i do a global reset, the problem is gone, but also are some general parameters i tweaked... This is a real pain in the lollipop while on stage and doing a global reset just isn't a solution. There should be a fundamental sollution for a product like this very soon...

I've also encountered some other display errors and the bank up down don't work in the correct order when in stomp or snapshot mode...

30 minutes ago, thomasDS said:

I don't see any mention of a solution for the "stuck in snapshot mode"-problem listed in the description of bug fixes for 2.82... This is a recurring problem AND terribly anoying while gigging... I hope there will be a solution provided shortly

When i do a global reset, the problem is gone, but also are some general parameters i tweaked... This is a real pain in the lollipop while on stage and doing a global reset just isn't a solution. There should be a fundamental sollution for a product like this very soon...

I've also encountered some other display errors and the bank up down don't work in the correct order when in stomp or snapshot mode...

If you update from a pre-2.80 firmware to a post-2.80 firmware, your Global Settings will be reset. If you create a backup and restore from backup, those setttings will be restored.

21 hours ago, phil_m said:

If you update from a pre-2.80 firmware to a post-2.80 firmware, your Global Settings will be reset. If you create a backup and restore from backup, those setttings will be restored.

This answer is completely beside the question. I need to perform a global reset when my Helix stuck in snapshot mode. The point is that this is that this "stuck in snapshot" mode is a huge problem while gigging. It costs way to much time when on stage to perform a global reset + some of my global settings are restored to factory reset. I can hardly perform a backup restoration while on stage. 

The display errors and bank up/down switch problems are inconvenient but I can deal with that when playing live. It costs me some extra foot taps however and one would expect better from one of the flagship models of a company...

The point is that performing a global reset + having to restore my backup is not a solution for a recurring software problem. It's not that I've done anything special with my helix, beside creating about 20 of my own presets in my own playlist + tweaked some global settings about the behaviour of my expression pedal + manual return to stomp mode from snapshot mode.

As shown in this thread (and apparently others), this is problem occurs to several people. I however don't see any mention of a solution for the "stuck in snapshot mode"-problem listed in the description of bug fixes for the 2.82 upgrade... I sincerely hope this problem is gone...

2 hours ago, thomasDS said:

This answer is completely beside the question. I need to perform a global reset when my Helix stuck in snapshot mode. The point is that this is that this "stuck in snapshot" mode is a huge problem while gigging. It costs way to much time when on stage to perform a global reset + some of my global settings are restored to factory reset. I can hardly perform a backup restoration while on stage. 

The display errors and bank up/down switch problems are inconvenient but I can deal with that when playing live. It costs me some extra foot taps however and one would expect better from one of the flagship models of a company...

The point is that performing a global reset + having to restore my backup is not a solution for a recurring software problem. It's not that I've done anything special with my helix, beside creating about 20 of my own presets in my own playlist + tweaked some global settings about the behaviour of my expression pedal + manual return to stomp mode from snapshot mode.

As shown in this thread (and apparently others), this is problem occurs to several people. I however don't see any mention of a solution for the "stuck in snapshot mode"-problem listed in the description of bug fixes for the 2.82 upgrade... I sincerely hope this problem is gone...

This bug was fixed in the 2.82 update. It’s specifically mentioned in the release notes.

• Like 2

I can confirm this issue persists after upgrading to 2.82 and performing a Factory Reset and Global Reset.

I use the Helix Floor in Stomp/Snap mode. At 3 out of my last 3 gigs, the Helix got stuck in Snapshot mode. It happens randomly when switching banks. Sometimes, it can be fixed by changing the mode away and back to Stomp/Snap (in Global Settings). Other times, another Factory Reset is required.

This is a frustrating bug that impacts our performances. Hopefully, it will actually be fixed soon.

5 hours ago, Ibanez19 said:

I can confirm this issue persists after upgrading to 2.82 and performing a Factory Reset and Global Reset.

I use the Helix Floor in Stomp/Snap mode. At 3 out of my last 3 gigs, the Helix got stuck in Snapshot mode. It happens randomly when switching banks. Sometimes, it can be fixed by changing the mode away and back to Stomp/Snap (in Global Settings). Other times, another Factory Reset is required.

This is a frustrating bug that impacts our performances. Hopefully, it will actually be fixed soon.

Are you sure you're not accidentally entering Snapshot Mode by hitting both Bank Up and Down switches at the same time?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Are you sure you're not accidentally entering Snapshot Mode by hitting both Bank Up and Down switches at the same time?

I was just about to post that as it happened to me before I knew about that function. Switched the up/down buttons to Snapshot up/down after that (I will never switch presets live), so I will at least not accidentally leave the patch.

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

Correct, I do not believe I am accidentally entering Snapshot mode.

Even if I did, once in Snapshot mode, the Helix does not allow a return to the original Stomp/Snap mode. I have tried pressing FS1+FS7 simultaneously after the bug occurs, and that allows me to switch between other modes... unfortunately, doing so never returns to the original (and desired) Stomp/Snap mode.

• 1 month later...

As Ibanez19 says, this problem is still occurring in 2.82. A few minutes ago I got stuck in preset mode, I couldn't enter stomp or snapshot mode. I've also encountered problems on the main display, where blocks aren't shown but are even black (so the signal chain lign shows broken) and I've also had the little displays above the stomp switches in different modes (some showing presets, others showing stomps or snapshots)

This problem keeps bugging me since august (2.80 or 2.81, I don't recall) and I find the lack of a decent solution extremely disturbing. This is a real downside in the competition against kemper or fractal...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thomasDS said:

This problem keeps bugging me since august (2.80 or 2.81, I don't recall) and I find the lack of a decent solution extremely disturbing. This is a real downside in the competition against kemper or fractal...

Oh, come on... It's one bug... Kemper and Fractal have their own bugs to deal with. There are threads over on The Gear Page where people are on their third Kemper Stage unit because of footswitch failures and other bugs. Bugs are a part of this sort of equipment. Whatever is happening with this bug, I'm sure Line 6 will get to the bottom of it. It seems that it's very sporadic, and that in some cases it must be deeper than Line 6 thought, because it is actually listed as one of the bug fixes in the 2.82 release notes. The best thing you can do if you experience something odd like this is to open up a support ticket and give Line 6 as much pertinent information as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, thomasDS said:

As Ibanez19 says, this problem is still occurring in 2.82. A few minutes ago I got stuck in preset mode, I couldn't enter stomp or snapshot mode. I've also encountered problems on the main display, where blocks aren't shown but are even black (so the signal chain lign shows broken) and I've also had the little displays above the stomp switches in different modes (some showing presets, others showing stomps or snapshots)

I'm having the same issue getting stuck in preset mode.  I'm on 2.82 also.  This is a problem when I have to hard boot the Helix mid set.  I use my Helix for a LOT of gigs.

I need this fixed ASAP.  

Please!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, phil_m said:

Oh, come on... It's one bug... Kemper and Fractal have their own bugs to deal with. There are threads over on The Gear Page where people are on their third Kemper Stage unit because of footswitch failures and other bugs. Bugs are a part of this sort of equipment. Whatever is happening with this bug, I'm sure Line 6 will get to the bottom of it. It seems that it's very sporadic, and that in some cases it must be deeper than Line 6 thought, because it is actually listed as one of the bug fixes in the 2.82 release notes. The best thing you can do if you experience something odd like this is to open up a support ticket and give Line 6 as much pertinent information as possible.

Yes, it's one bug, but it is very detrimental to performances. It makes every bank change worrisome, as I still cannot determine the root cause of the issue. Thus, when performing, I never know if the Helix will suddenly get stuck in the wrong mode. If so, I am required to manually reset back from Snapshot mode (or restart the Helix) on stage, causing me to drop out of the performance while fixing the issue.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just had this happen to me this weekend and spent a while trying to figure out why my LT wouldn't go to Preset/Stomp mode(my normal modes).  I have my entire setlist set up in order of the songs and I'll go into Stomp mode for some songs.  Fortunately, it was practice, but I did spend practice time trying to resolve the Mode switch issue.  At the time I was running V2.81 and could not find a way to get the Mode switch to work.  After running a backup (unfortunately not as current as I would have liked) and being unsuccessful, I found this thread.

After running the 2.82 update, my LT is back to normal and I can use it the way I'm accustomed to using it.

• 2 years later...

I decided to recreate all my Global Settings from scratch in hopes of fixing that Left/Mono bug... so it got stuck in the snapshot mode for me as well on 3.11. 

Resolved it by toggling a few settings in Global Settings pertaining to the Helix Button layout: e.g. 8 stomps, 8 snapshots back and forth and it started working again. 

When rebooting I also lost sound, but it came back after I used the tuner. 

Wonderful piece of machinery....