Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Helix device failed to recall snapshot data properly

ardie78

My footswitches are stomp/snap. Whenever I open my preset, then step on a snap. The whole thing just freezes. I can't even push other buttons. But when I use the stock presets, it doesn't happen. Of course I have to turn the unit off then on again to go to the stock presets

Yep , I’ve got this .... but only some of my presets... about 10 of them ... and nothing in common. Very weird... tried renaming snapshots etc ... no difference. I have rack with controller. Weird thing is ... the snapshot parameters do actually change but there is no feedback from the foot control . Just stays the same. If I use hx edit to switch snapshots... error message appears failed to recall snapshot parameters code -4

Same. Just updated from 2.71 straight to 2.81. It's on about 20 of my 80 presets but maybe 15 of them were built using the same template. Going to contact support and e-mail them the original preset. I'll try some debugging on this side too.

I’ve got 2 units running side by side .

one on 2.80 one on 2.81 ... this is definitely a 2.81 bug ... which effectively renders the unit unusable. I’m going to have to roll back my main rack to 2.8 for live work this weekend. Sigh.... ever wish you hadn’t started something. 

On a brighter note... built some superb live presets using ‘Fullerton jumped’ with heir apparent!! Really cuts through the mix . So I don’t really want to go back to 2.71 ... but it was stable 

I'm curious, did any of the folks experiencing this issue do the global reset step to install the latest Factory and Template setlists? Did you just do an "upgrade in place" and are using the presets that were already on your device from your previous firmware? Or, did you explicitly load your presets from backup?

The first thing I would try here would be to get backups, run the global reset and then reload my presets and see if the problem persists. Make sure you restart the Helix after your reload from backup to allow your old presets to go through the one-time rebuild process. If the problem persists after this I would try loading my backups(hopefully you created them) from the backup of the last firmware version where they were working properly.

Or... this could just be a bug in 2.81 and the above won't help.

I have the same problem on some of my presets...same message. I have set to 8 snapshots on the foot switches. The bottom 4 switches are lit up all the time and I cannot select 1 thru 4. They do change the snapshot but the rings stay lit on all 4 and the number in the top right doesn't change. When I go to the top 4 switches 5 thru 8 work correctly and only the ring selected is lit up and the number for the snapshot changes. The other thing I am noticing now is a low or high frequency dive when switching between snapshots even though there is nothing going on except turning on or off a block. Never heard this before.....

On 8/10/2019 at 3:11 AM, HonestOpinion said:

I'm curious, did any of the folks experiencing this issue do the global reset step to install the latest Factory and Template setlists? Did you just do an "upgrade in place" and are using the presets that were already on your device from your previous firmware? Or, did you explicitly load your presets from backup?

The first thing I would try here would be to get backups, run the global reset and then reload my presets and see if the problem persists. Make sure you restart the Helix after your reload from backup to allow your old presets to go through the one-time rebuild process. If the problem persists after this I would try loading my backups(hopefully you created them) from the backup of the last firmware version where they were working properly.

Or... this could just be a bug in 2.81 and the above won't help.

yup. did the global reset before restoring from backup.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:22 AM, robertopablo said:

I had the same issue. Found out that the Stereo Delay block in my preset was the problem. As soon as I removed it from my chain, all snapshots started working well. I love that delay model, but I asume it's not working well after 2.81 update.

Thank you Roberto Pablo,  it seems that Simple Delay (with tap tempo syncro) is the cause for this bug. In my case, the workaround was to remove it, save the preset and then insert again the Simple Delay.

Gracias amigo

• 4 weeks later...

I am also getting the "The Helix device failed to recall snapshot data properly" message occasionally.  It does not always happen, and seems pretty random, but only when I am connected to Tone Studio.  The message appears as an error over the Tone Studio screen.  Nothing happens on the Helix itself - that just freezes.  I have to reboot it to correct the problem.  I It will reboot into the same preset, and I can change snapshots without any problem.  Other freezes when not connected to Tone Studio may be due to the same problem, but I obviously don't see the message.  It is not a frequent issue, but enough to demonstrate that there is an issue.

• 4 months later...

Hi Line 6 

Have you resolved this yet or sent out a bug fix? 

Same thing is happening to me. And it does seem to be related to trying to save parameters / snapshots on the tempos of delays, mods etc 

Once a tap tempo parameter is attempted to be saved, the unit locks up, the foot switches no longer work correctly and it takes a lot of extra work to get it back to functional 

Thanks, Mark 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

My Helix froze a few times when the preset had a lot of blocks... like everything was max'ed out.  Make sure you don't have too much stuff in your preset, especially stuff that is not even being used.  Once I uncluttered my preset, the issue hasn't happened since.  I always practice my guitar with the Helix connected to the computer at home.

• 7 months later...

Unfortunatly, I have the same problem too. Helix LT fm 3.15. I have a lot of my presets with snapshots. Some parameters of effects has snapshots contro. When I connect my helix to PC, and working with presets, I see the same message and other mesage, where write that data is lost etc. 

If I save this preset, I can have bad preset with bad data. For example, I can switch snapshot, but footswitch doesn't light up. Etc.

This problem is appeared when I work with presets with snapshots only.

Line6,  ask you fix this problem!!! Please.