Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HXEdit2.81.dmg launches and says "Welcome to the HX Edit 2.80 Installer"

gordwait

Solved: The old 2.80 .dmg file was still mounted in /Volumes. It wasn't showing on the desktop (why Apple??). 

Found it using the bash command line and removed it. Now the install is proceding as planned with 2.81 .. 

Yeesh.

-------------------------------------------------

And if I install it, it installs version 2.80. 

I have triple checked everything about this, deleted all traces of the original 2.80 files, but no luck. 

The HXEdit2.81.dmg file size is bigger than the 2.80 copy, so it's not like it's the same 2.80 dmg file accidentally renamed..

Of course I don't want to update the Helix firmware to 2.81 until I have a matching 2.81 HX Edit ready to use..

For anyone else on Mac who have updated to 2.81 can you check what version HX Edit reports when you open it to the "About" page?

Edited by gordwait
Resolved.

Where are you reading the version number from? I ask because the number shown at the bottom of HXEdit is the current firmware version. If you haven't installed v2.81 yet then it will show v2 80.

35 minutes ago, Thark said:

Where are you reading the version number from? I ask because the number shown at the bottom of HXEdit is the current firmware version. If you haven't installed v2.81 yet then it will show v2 80.

^^^ probably this ^^^

The number shown at the bottom of the HX Edit screen when it opens is the Firmware version of your device.

To see the installed HX Edit version.... click "Help > About". 

36 minutes ago, Thark said:

From the "About" tab in HX Edit, and from the "Installing HX Edit 2.80" installer screen. My Helix is turned off at the moment. Oh and from the popup in HX Edit "No Device Connected" it says HX Edit 2.80 at the bottom of the panel. 

23 minutes ago, gordwait said:

From the "About" tab in HX Edit, and from the "Installing HX Edit 2.80" installer screen. My Helix is turned off at the moment. Oh and from the popup in HX Edit "No Device Connected" it says HX Edit 2.80 at the bottom of the panel. 

Hi,

If you have installed v2.81 HX Edit you may have a link back to the earlier version of HX Edit which is lurking on you Mac and the is causing the problem. Make sure that there is no shortcut back to the old version - an alias on your Mac, maybe in the Dock. On your hard drive there should be a folder named Line6 - this is where things like the Updater and HX Edit get installed. Check the latest date and version numbers by selecting Date Modified in the window view. Oh, and the "No Device Connected" message is correct if your Helix is not powered up how will the edit application know it exists?

4 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

If you have installed v2.81 HX Edit you may have a link back to the earlier version of HX Edit which is leaching and the is causing the problem. Make sure that there is no shortcut back to the old version. On your hard drive there should be a folder named Line6 - this is where things like the Updater and HX Edit get installed. Check the latest date and version numbers. Oh, and the "No Device Connected" message is correct if your Helix is not powered up how will the edit application know it exists?

I'll check the link idea. I left the Helix off on purpose to make sure I wasn't seeing the version number from the Helix firmware (which is still 2.80). 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gordwait said:

I'll check the link idea. I left the Helix off on purpose to make sure I wasn't seeing the version number from the Helix firmware (which is still 2.80). 

If your HX Edit is not v2.81 simply reinstall the stuff.

Start from here:

No links back. 

I went in with the Mac bash command line (I've been a  Unix nerd from 1984) and there's no links anywhere else. 

What is weird is all the files for HX Edit are dated 15 July (2019).

I used the command line to fully delete HX Edit (fourth time?) and reinstall, 2.80 came back, and has th 15 July date. 

I think the .dmg file I'm downloading from Line6 is mislabelled on their server, and maybe it's a different server for Canada?

Very odd. 

5 minutes ago, gordwait said:

No links back. 

I went in with the Mac bash command line (I've been a  Unix nerd from 1984) and there's no links anywhere else. 

What is weird is all the files for HX Edit are dated 15 July (2019).

I used the command line to fully delete HX Edit (fourth time?) and reinstall, 2.80 came back, and has th 15 July date. 

I think the .dmg file I'm downloading from Line6 is mislabelled on their server, and maybe it's a different server for Canada?

Very odd. 

OK ignore the last link that i sent you and go to this set of read me files - please read, study and inwardly digest the info.

Then under step 2 point 2 click the link

That will get you the right stuff. I know, because I have just checked and it is downloading the correct file.

Heh, soon as I state "It's not me" I work it out. 

The Mac install thing "mounts" the .dmg file as if it were a hard drive, which "I swear" I had unmounted. 

I saw three copies of the installer in /Volumes. I removed all of them and went for the 5th try, now it's ready to install 2.81..

Someone on Facebook had reminded me of this yesterday, but I didn't see the .dmg mount on my desktop for some reason.

Using the command line I could only see the stale 2.80 copies mounted in /Volumes. Removing these fixed the install process. 

All good now, problem between keyboard and chair..

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:

OK ignore the last link that i sent you and go to this set of read me files - please read, study and inwardly digest the info.

Then under step 2 point 2 click the link

That will get you the right stuff. I know, because I have just checked and it is downloading the correct file.

I did that, but it wasn't my issue, it turned out the stale 2.80 .dmg files were still mounted even though I couldn't see them on my Desktop. See my end comment below. All good now..

Just now, gordwait said:

Heh, soon as I state "It's not me" I work it out. 

The Mac install thing "mounts" the .dmg file as if it were a hard drive, which "I swear" I had unmounted. 

I saw three copies of the installer in /Volumes. I removed all of them and went for the 5th try, now it's ready to install 2.81..

Someone on Facebook had reminded me of this yesterday, but I didn't see the .dmg mount on my desktop for some reason.

Using the command line I could only see the stale 2.80 copies mounted in /Volumes. Removing these fixed the install process. 

All good now, problem between keyboard and chair..

Yep a .dmg is a disk image so it works like a virtual drive.

Good luck