Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Inverted symbols for scrolling presets? HX 2.81

khiryos

Hello,

I just upgraded to HX 2.81 and I prefer to let you know that I don't use the Helix Floor often. I noticed that the "<" symbols for the preset stomps are inverted. You have to press the "arrow down" switch to go to the previous preset (and vice versa). I'm aware that the two switches can be inverted via the preferences. But the problem remains. Imho, it has to be the contrary : "arrow down" => next preset (to follow the presets list, it's more logical) and vice versa.

What do you think about? It's not very important, okay, but I prefer to ask to active users if it's "normal" (= always has been the case since HX 1). If not, do I have to put it in the bug report topic?

Thank you.

By default the "^" takes you to the next preset, bank or snapshot. The "v" takes you to the previous one. You can invert those functions in the Global Settings now, but the direction of the graphical arrows on the scribble strips remains the same.

Thanks phil_m. So it's not a bug at all, just a strange choice made by developers. I say "strange" because in all other kind of situations (in the real life, and especially in the computer world), the "^" means an "up arrow", which indicates that we expect to go to the thing that is just above the current one (the previous one), and vice versa.

Am I the only one that interprets the "^" symbol as an up arrow (and the "v" as a down arrow), meaning the word "previous" in a case of a vertical list of presets?

15 minutes ago, khiryos said:

Thanks phil_m. So it's not a bug at all, just a strange choice made by developers. I say "strange" because in all other kind of situations (in the real life, and especially in the computer world), the "^" means an "up arrow", which indicates that we expect to go to the thing that is just above the current one (the previous one), and vice versa.

Am I the only one that interprets the "^" symbol as an up arrow (and the "v" as a down arrow), meaning the word "previous" in a case of a vertical list of presets?

It's come up before which is why they added the option to reverse it in the Global Settings in the 2.80 update. That being said, in virtually every multi-FX pedal out there, hitting the up arrow takes you to the next higher preset or bank or whatever. The way it was originally and is by default is pretty much the industry standard.

The fact that HX Edit presents the vertical list with 1A at the top and 32D at the bottom creates an image in your mind, one that suggest the ^ arrow should move to the higher preset in the list. However, that order is arbitrary - the list could just as easily have been presented in reverse order in HX Edit, which would make the arrow behaviour match the visual image. Arguably, that should have been done.

The Helix device itself does not use a simple list; it uses an organizing model of a 32x4 array and the ^ arrow progresses through the array in a left-to-right top-to-bottom approach. 

I do 't think there is a'right' order. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. It's easy to get used to, and the Global Setting lets you choose your preference.

27 minutes ago, phil_m said:

in virtually every multi-FX pedal out there, hitting the up arrow takes you to the next higher preset or bank or whatever

Okay, I wasn't aware of that part. It makes sense.

25 minutes ago, silverhead said:

The fact that HX Edit presents the vertical list with 1A at the top and 32D at the bottom creates an image in your mind, one that suggest the ^ arrow should move to the higher preset in the list. The Helix device itself does not use a simple list; it uses an organizing model of a 32x4 array and the ^ arrow progresses through the array in a left-to-right top-to-bottom approach.

Exactly, I was focused on a 0-127 list of presets, ordered from the top to the bottom. It's a little confusing for me, but not a big deal.

15 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Just think of the "^" up arrow as a higher number and it will make perfect sense to you, e.g.  up=higher.

Yep, good advice. It's like you level up in a MMORPG : you grow up ^^