Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

input clipping in 4CM

rwinking

I am using the Helix rack with  an Egnater MOD50 and recently noticed some clipping. I thought it had to be the amp and spent a few hours trouble shooting it as it really sounded like a bad input tube, or jack. I then tried the Helix in another amp 4CM and found the same noise. I also tried and old Digitech GSP 1101 in the amp and it worked fine....no noise. So I am pretty damn sure it is in the Helix. It doesn't sound like a digital type noise at all and when I use more gain in the pre amp it definitely gets worse.

I called tech support and they were thinking that maybe I had to send it back but I live in Montana and the nearest repair place is 200 miles away. Before I send it to California, does anyone have any ideas> I tried padding the guitar but that didn't help. And yes, I checked all of the input/output stuff and everything is as it should be. It just seems that something is overdriving something and it is in the Helix.

Any ideas?

I will check that out as I do have active blocks. When I get home later I will set up a patch with just the 4CM loop. I neglected to say that if I go direct into the amp, no noise. Also I switched out every patch cord at least three times. 

Thanks for the hint and I can’t wait to try it!

So I went ahead and set up a patch where the only thin in it was my loop so I could run 4CM. The clipping is still there. It is interesting that it happens on the neck pickup more and also if I give the preamp more gain. It is like something is being overdriven in the Helix when it is returned from the preamp. Like I said, I have used two different amps FX loops and the issue is there for both, so it is definitely in the Helix.

6 hours ago, rwinking said:

So I went ahead and set up a patch where the only thin in it was my loop so I could run 4CM. The clipping is still there. It is interesting that it happens on the neck pickup more and also if I give the preamp more gain. It is like something is being overdriven in the Helix when it is returned from the preamp. Like I said, I have used two different amps FX loops and the issue is there for both, so it is definitely in the Helix.

Do you have Helix FX loop set to instrument or line level?

Yep. Everything was set for instrument. So I did more trouble shooting....if I run the Helix into my FX return (Which would be bypassing the preamps section of the amp and using amp models) all is well. If I go direct into the amp, all is well. It seems in 4CM when I send the preamp signal to the Helix it starts clipping.

32 minutes ago, rwinking said:

Yep. Everything was set for instrument. So I did more trouble shooting....if I run the Helix into my FX return (Which would be bypassing the preamps section of the amp and using amp models) all is well. If I go direct into the amp, all is well. It seems in 4CM when I send the preamp signal to the Helix it starts clipping.

I would try setting the Helix's loop to line level. That would give you some more headroom.

Thanks Phil. I got off the phone with line 6 earlier and they were also baffled. It did it on all loops. They are thinking I need to send it back. I tried your suggestion about changing the loop to line level and that did the trick. It also changes the tone considerably in that a lot of highs seem to drop out. Are you thinking that I could maybe add the highs back in the global EQ?

The odd thing is I have been using this for a year without the issue. I noticed it after the new update. However, I really think it must be coincidental as I have not heard of this issue with anyone else. Obviously something happened and it should not be acting this way. I may have to send it back although I Hate being with out it for three weeks!