Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using HX stomp with a wireless transmitter and fold back with IEMs. Has anyone used this setup???

grammitch85

Looking to see if anyone has used the HX stomp with no back line with a wireless guitar pack (shure or Line6) then with the fold back sent to IEMs. If anyone has any experience of this could you let me know, wanting this to be my new system set up! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the shure GLDX and a good pair of in ears. Hated the in ears (so far). They seem too "dry" and in-your-face. I 'd like to try have a microphone in the room and listening to that mic over the in-ears. Maybe it'll get that room/amp feel that the HX-straight-2-in-ears seem to lack...

Love the wireless, tho :).

18 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

Just a silly question to make sure I am not missing something.... 

what is the correlation between a a wireless device, no amp, and IEMs? 

What does one have to do with the others. 

My guess: some of us use wireless, no amp, but are not quite happy with the guitar sound over in-ears (my case), coming direct from (whatever) device is being used. If the sound over the in ears was coming from a mic'ed amp, maybe it would be better...

A wireless affects the input. People should have already figured that into their patches. 

As to how an IEM sounds - if someone has already tweaked their patches and knows what they are to sound like, then there is a problem with the IEM that someone selected. Believe me, I have played with companies that have provided horrible earpieces and companies who have provide nice earpieces. There is a difference. But, it also goes hand in hand with the rest of the sound system as well. 

But this still begs the question - how does a bad IEM sound involve a wireless unit. They are two totally separate pieces. One has nothing to do with the other. It is not like someone is going to switch to a guitar cord and sound any better through the same IEM. 

However, with your answer to my question, I have enough information that I will give my 2 cents: 

I have not used an amp since I started using my Pod. I go direct, always. For hearing myself at live events, I use whatever is provided. Sometimes it is a floor monitor, sometimes it is an IEM. And, yes, sometimes it is even a guitar amp.    

Unless provided for me, I do not use wireless. And, that is not my preference. I would much rather be cord-free - especially when I am part of the show instead of hired as some background player. It's just that I stopped using personal wireless units 30 years ago because there was always a conflict with the signals with some other member of the show, and the technology wasn't available for private connections or frequency switching. So, when it came time to put on a show, I always made sure that they were company owned devices instead of my own personal financial blunder - they could design/buy the units based on how many of what was in a show. Conflict free.  

So, that means, I have just about all of the experiences at various scenarios needed to answer questions - 

The future is ampless. Be prepared to go direct to the mixer. Of course, this doesn't mean that you can't use your own personal amp/monitor on stage to hear yourself. But it does mean, figure your patches for going direct. And try to go ampless as much as possible. 

Beyond that - if you "need" to have a physical amp pushing air and making your ears ring every night, ROCK ON \\m//. But be aware that some stages are so small that you don't have room for the amp. Some venues are so small that your amp over powers the pa. Some stages are so big that your amp isn't going to you any good unless you are standing right in front of it instead of running across the stage entertaining the crowd the way you are paid to do. So, really, why not just learn to use monitors (floor or ear) anyhow.

If your modeling device is good, and you design proper patches, and your monitoring system is good, there should be no difference between what you hear than if you used a mic'd guitar amp - other than your guitar amp is behind you and the monitor is in front of you. 

• Thanks 1