Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset still rebuilding after update to 2.81 .....Why?

subseauk

Hi all, well after updating to 2.81 and the initial preset rebuilding for a couple of times after switching the Helix unit on everything seemed to settle down. Now, after no intervention from me and some period of time ( good few days), the floor unit has started rebuilding the presets again on startup which Is a pain for time its taking  for the 900 or so slots considering I have not done anything!!

Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, subseauk said:

Any thoughts?

I think it sucks...;)

That is weird... shouldn't be rebuilding every time you turn it on. I suppose you could try installing a backup, and see if it clears the glitch. Might not help, but I seriously doubt it'll make anything worse.

1 hour ago, subseauk said:

Any thoughts?

Well, I do know that if you have updated your firmware it should rebuild the presets on first boot up. That's just to get the onboard presets up to the latest standard revision.

After that you may find that, if you have added any new presets from HX Edit and they were in and older format, the next time you spark up the Helix it will rebuild the presets again. This time it should be faster because it really only needs to rebuild the ones that are not up to date. So, if you have changed a whole heap of presets or loaded 30 or 40 freebies from custom tone the they will need to be brought into line with the new format.

If it becomes really annoying then turn off your Helix and hold down foot switches 10 & 11 while you power up the Helix. This forces the rebuild routine and when it's done then it should remember they are now up to date. After that it should only happen when you load up any older presets.

That was a long way round, but I think you should understand it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, datacommando said:

if you have added any new presets from HX Edit and they were in and older format, the next time you spark up the Helix it will rebuild the presets again. This time it should be faster because it really only needs to rebuild the ones that are not up to date. So, if you have changed a whole heap of presets or loaded 30 or 40 freebies from custom tone the they will need to be brought into line with the new format.

That's probably what causes my rebuilds, the occasional Customtone preset that I DL.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, subseauk said:

Hi all, well after updating to 2.81 and the initial preset rebuilding for a couple of times after switching the Helix unit on everything seemed to settle down. Now, after no intervention from me and some period of time ( good few days), the floor unit has started rebuilding the presets again on startup which Is a pain for time its taking  for the 900 or so slots considering I have not done anything!!

Any thoughts?

Per the other comments here the rebuilding has been pretty standard after all the firmware updates but should only occur once. Doesn't matter if you restart the device one day or one year later, you will still get that one-time rebuild. Also as others have indicated, and this has varied slightly in different firmware versions, but loading a third party purchased preset or one from CustomTone, which may very well have been backed up with a prior firmware version, will cause only that preset to be rebuilt upon your next startup. There were even a couple of firmware releases where simply copying presets from one location to another would cause just those presets to be rebuilt upon the next restart. Totally normal behavior. If it is happening every time that usually indicates problems either with particular presets or with the firmware update and may require a backup, global reset, and reload of your old presets, or even rerunning the upgrade procedure. As always make sure your version of HX Edit is matched to your current firmware.

Btw, just as a best practice it is not a bad idea to restart your device every time before a gig, especially if you have been loading presets from elsewhere. If nothing else you ensure it is working properly and if it needs to rebuild any presets you won't have to wait for them to do so at your gig. Usually doesn't take more than a few seconds anyway depending on how many presets you loaded.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all for the replies, I think the ones which mention changing / updating presets are spot on as I had chosen a user group rather than the presets!!!  This I am thinking is what caused the rebuild!!

Cheers all

• Thanks 1

I got this problem after the update to 2.80 after restoring my setlists.  They included some old Factory Preset and Template setlists, and some presets in my User setlists that were based on some of these old factory presets and templates.  They were probably earlier than the ones that came with 2.7, but I don't know which firmware update they came with.  For the last few updates I just updated the firmware and BTS, and did not bother with new factory presets.

To stop the Helix rebuilding on every switch-on I had to install the new 2.80 factory presets and templates, overwriting these old ones, and I had to delete any derivatives of these presets and templates from my own user setlists.  Rebuilds then stopped.  I updated to 2.81 without any problems.

It does seem that older Helix presets do cause this problem, and the same may well apply to presets imported from other Helix hardware.

Hi guys, just to let you all know it seems to have been the presence of old presets within Helix Edit that caused the rebuilding. I am currently going through them and removing stuff  that I never used or that didn't work.

Cheers to all that helped.

• 1 month later...

I am relatively new to the Helix and am having the same rebuild problem every start up. I did buy a lot of presets from Fremen, and other presets from different online users. Plus several IRs from Ownhammer and MB. Do I have to do a global reset and then load patches individually? Or can I just load one of my previous back-ups? Thanks!

You likely already know that it is normal for presets to be rebuilt once, on the startup following their first import into new firmware. So I'm assuming you mean that the same preset(s) are being rebuilt repeatedly at each startup. This is not normal and usually indicates that these presets are somehow considered by the new firmware to be structurally corrupt and unable to be properly rebuilt although they may continue to work properly. This will continue to happen until the offending presets are identified and removed or until new firmware is able to rebuild them correctly. You can do something about the former but not the latter.

To identify the offending presets watch carefully as the rebuild process happens. The display will show a number between 1 and 1024 for each preset being rebuilt. This number can help you identify the preset location in terms of its setlist/bank/preset location. Divide the number by 128 (the number of presets in a setlist) to determine the setlist number, 1-8. Then divide the remainder by 32 (the number of banks in a setlist) to determine its bank number 1-32. The final remainder will be a number between 1 and 3, which corresponds to the preset location A-C within the bank. (Note: if there is no final remainder that means the preset is in location D of the already identified Bank). For instance if the display shows preset 746 being rebuilt that specific preset is in Setlist 6 (since setlist 5 ends at 5*128=640). It is in Bank  27 (since the remainder from the first division, 106, is greater than 26 *4=104). It is preset B since the final remainder is 2.

Often the presets being rebuilt will correspond to a range of presets suggesting that at some point a number of presets from somewhere were imported together. Backup these presets for future reference and then delete them (i.e. copy New Preset into those locations). Restart Helix until all such presets are removed and no further rebuilding occurs. What remains in Helix are now known to be fully compatible presets.

If you want to restore the offending presets you can import them individually to inspect the details and then manually recreate them by editing a New Preset - do not copy them. When finished, replace the offending preset again with a New Preset before restarting Helix.

Thank you so much for replying! I knew I had to do some searching but with soooo many presets I knew it would be a daunting task. But you straightened it out for me. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

BTW, how did you figure that out? You're smarter than a 5th grader!

You're welcome.

With respect to my final paragraph above (recreating the offending presets) you can try to copy/paste individual blocks from the original preset rather than manually recreating each block from scratch but I can't guarantee that this willl work. If it does it can save you some effort. Try it with one preset first - it will either work (not be rebuilt again on startup)  or not.