Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC+/HX Edit/LINK Settings Question

JLondon

Okay so I've got a Helix Floor, HX Edit, PC+, and proper "LINK" cabling/connection.  Am I correct in assuming that when I'm changing between PC+ speakers (or to FRFR) within the HX Edit program - that's exactly, and 'only', what I'm getting regardless of what it says on top of the PC+?  For instance, if I set HX Edit to use Vintage and the PC+ scribble strip says Dino, is HX Edit overriding or am I getting a blend of the two as if I were using two cabs in my Helix chain?  If I'ts overriding the PC+, I'm surprised Line 6 didn't simply include automatic changing of the scribble strip reading as well. Doesn't seem to me to be that big a deal. If it, in fact does, then I'm doing something wrong.

You are getting what you selected in HX Edit. The PC's display does not reflect that choice. If you open Powercab Edit at he same time, you can see that the Speaker/FRFR choice made in HX Edit is immediately reflected in PC Edit, but the actual Preset in the Powercab does not change - it will just show as 'edited'.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, johnfrancis said:

You are getting what you selected in HX Edit. The PC's display does not reflect that choice. If you open Powercab Edit at he same time, you can see that the Speaker/FRFR choice made in HX Edit is immediately reflected in PC Edit, but the actual Preset in the Powercab does not change - it will just show as 'edited'.

Hope this gets fixed in a firmware update soon. That is a serious visual disconnect.

Not sure this is a problem. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you select a Powercab+ preset, and Helix changes anything in the Powercab output block, the Powercab+ patch is changed to whatever Helix selected, and the patch will display as <edited>. If you want to see how the Powercab patch was edited, press the selector knob once and you'll see the mode and sparker model. I often leave my Powercab set this way because when I change patches or snapshots that impact the speaker mode and model, I can immediately see what's in the cabinet (to be certain) and don't have to select the output block and page on Helix.

You can also use Helix to edit Powercab patches, just do the save on the Powercab to save whatever edited settings were sent from Helix. But you generally don't want to do that.

Powercab patches aren't that relevant when connected with Helix using Line6 Link. Helix will generally control all the Powercab settings. Powercab patches are more useful for something like HX Stomp or other devices that don't have Line6 Link, and you don't want to bother connecting HX Stomp to Powercab with MIDI. 

7 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Not sure this is a problem. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you select a Powercab+ preset, and Helix changes anything in the Powercab output block, the Powercab+ patch is changed to whatever Helix selected, and the patch will display as <edited>. If you want to see how the Powercab patch was edited, press the selector knob once and you'll see the mode and sparker model. I often leave my Powercab set this way because when I change patches or snapshots that impact the speaker mode and model, I can immediately see what's in the cabinet (to be certain) and don't have to select the output block and page on Helix.

You can also use Helix to edit Powercab patches, just do the save on the Powercab to save whatever edited settings were sent from Helix. But you generally don't want to do that.

Powercab patches aren't that relevant when connected with Helix using Line6 Link. Helix will generally control all the Powercab settings. Powercab patches are more useful for something like HX Stomp or other devices that don't have Line6 Link, and you don't want to bother connecting HX Stomp to Powercab with MIDI. 

My PC+ is still on its way. I think what johnfrancis was commenting on was that changing the speaker model from the Helix did not display the selected model on the PC+.  Are you saying there is a way to set the PC+(press selector knob) so that it will display the speaker model when the Helix changes it without requiring a button press? If so that works for me.

• 8 months later...

Heyas , I had the exact problem as Jlondon, its not very clear at all.

I was expecting the powercabs dosplay to change to the speaker model being used, seems like it would be a simple thing to integrate no?
Its good that you can see what it is by pressing in but the display isnt as nice and would be much better to not have to do that.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:24 AM, SymphonicDischord said:

All I did was create a preset called Helix on my PC+. Then if I want to get a little bit of visual feedback, when I’m programming a a preset on my Helix I just set the color change on the output block to correspond with the speaker’s color. 

I did the same thing, I've got a preset named Helix Remote and use colors to identify things.

I think that the decision not to let the Helix recall the PC presets via L6 is a mistake. I understand that having the Helix control the parameter (not all of them though) makes it almost 100% portable on every stage where you get a PC as a backline amp. You keep everything in your helix and your're set and you don't need to maintain both helix and PC presets.

But for those who bring their personal PCs at gigs or simply play at home, recalling PC presets makes perfect sense and simplify things.

Anyway the L6 integration is still buggy.

Edited by HotRats73
adding things