Jump to content

Might be a stupid question but why is my Wah pedal not working!


subseauk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys firstly I would like to say what an awesome group you guys all are as I have been getting help on a few things recently. 

As a total newb to the world of Helix I am having lots of beginner issues!!  One of these is how to get the Wah pedal to work!  I have a basic patch with a Wah in first block followed by the Amp+Cab option but no matter what I do the pedal just seems to activate volume control.  I have read through the manual but can't seem to find out what I am doing wrong, I think It may be in the setup of the Helix rather than a Wah setting as such. Can any point me in the right direction.


Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

What happens when you activate the Toe Switch (by pressing hard at toe down position)?

I think he didn't do that ;)

...

Have you tried the Bypass Assign setting (you can assign EXP Toe / Pedal1 / Pedal2 to activate your wah)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think he didn't do that ;)

...

Have you tried the Bypass Assign setting (you can assign EXP Toe / Pedal1 / Pedal2 to activate your wah)

 

I just tested this because I couldn't remember for sure. WAH is assigned by default to EXP1 with Toe Switch enabled. VOLUME is assigned by default to EXP2 with Toe Switch enabled

If ONLY the VOLUME Block is assigned, then the Toe Switch toggles the VOLUME Block ON/OFF. When toggled OFF, volume defaults to 100%.

If VOLUME AND WAH are assigned, the Toe Switch toggles between WAH and VOLUME active states, but the VOLUME defaults to 100% when the WAH is active.

Yes, confusing, which is why I always forget if I haven'y been creating presets in a while. To make it more confusing, it's possible to wind up with the Toe Switch functional, but the Expression pedal inactive. In which case, clear both blocks and start over!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

I just tested this because I couldn't remember for sure. WAH is assigned by default to EXP1 with Toe Switch enabled. VOLUME is assigned by default to EXP2 with Toe Switch enabled

If ONLY the VOLUME Block is assigned, then the Toe Switch toggles the VOLUME Block ON/OFF. When toggled OFF, volume defaults to 100%.

If VOLUME AND WAH are assigned, the Toe Switch toggles between WAH and VOLUME active states, but the VOLUME defaults to 100% when the WAH is active.

Yes, confusing, which is why I always forget if I haven'y been creating presets in a while. To make it more confusing, it's possible to wind up with the Toe Switch functional, but the Expression pedal inactive. In which case, clear both blocks and start over!

 

That's correct.

I remember that the TOE Switch had to be pressed very hard the first time when my Helix was new.

So I guess he has not noticed the Toe switch yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, Peter said:

 

That's correct.

I remember that the TOE Switch had to be pressed very hard the first time when my Helix was new.

So I guess he has not noticed the Toe switch yet.

Hi all

Quick update, I was messing around with the Helix this morning and created a simple setup with a Way at the front of the line followed by a stock Amp+Cab and still not getting the Was effect!!

I then noticed that the Exp 1 figure was not solid ( more like dots ) and that Exp 2 was solid !! I tried the pedal and no increase on the % was seen. I checked all the settings on the Helix and they look OK but I don't seem to be able to get the Wah/Vol Toe switch  to work, just how hard is this on a new Helix as this seems to be a ridiculous problem and I don't want to cause any further issues?

 

Update in use is 2.81

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, subseauk said:

I then noticed that the Exp 1 figure was not solid ( more like dots ) and that Exp 2 was solid !!

 

Figure? Do you mean the Scribble strip? Never seen dots....could you clarify?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, subseauk said:

 I tried the pedal and no increase on the % was seen.

In the scribble strip? Then something is wrong. Maybe a firmeware bug, I hope no hardware problem.

I think you should see an % increase at the scribble strip even if the wah block is not activated.

...But you can control the volume with the pedal???

Have you tried the Bypass Assign settings > You can also activate the pedal without the TOE switch. (you can specify % value for activation)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, subseauk said:

Hi guys firstly I would like to say what an awesome group you guys all are as I have been getting help on a few things recently. 

As a total newb to the world of Helix I am having lots of beginner issues!!  One of these is how to get the Wah pedal to work!  I have a basic patch with a Wah in first block followed by the Amp+Cab option but no matter what I do the pedal just seems to activate volume control.  I have read through the manual but can't seem to find out what I am doing wrong, I think It may be in the setup of the Helix rather than a Wah setting as such. Can any point me in the right direction.


Cheers

 

I suspect that barring some problem with the upgrade the issue is both pressing the switch down hard enough as rd2rk mentioned as well as something funky in the assignments for the wah.  As recommended clear the volume and wah blocks and start again. First create a 'Volume'(NOT a 'Gain') block and then create a wah block. Don't do anything with the assignments and just accept the default (EXP 2= Volume and EXP 1 = Wah). Also in case you have one, don't plug in an external expression pedal for the duration of the test.

 

6 hours ago, Peter said:

In the scribble strip? Then something is wrong. Maybe a firmeware bug, I hope no hardware problem.

I think you should see an % increase at the scribble strip even if the wah block is not activated.

...But you can control the volume with the pedal???

Have you tried the Bypass Assign settings > You can also activate the pedal without the TOE switch. (you can specify % value for activation)

 

I don't think he is hitting a bug or hardware problem although it is possible. It sounds more like a problem with the expression pedal assignments such that the pedal is not controlling the block and therefor not reading any percentage change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Peter said:

In the scribble strip? Then something is wrong. Maybe a firmeware bug, I hope no hardware problem.

I think you should see an % increase at the scribble strip even if the wah block is not activated.

...But you can control the volume with the pedal???

Have you tried the Bypass Assign settings > You can also activate the pedal without the TOE switch. (you can specify % value for activation)

Hi, Yes the foot pedal controls the volume. Not in the scribble strip in the window above the pedal itself.  I can't see and therefore don't know how to assign the pedal is there anywhere where the setup can be shown without being a rocket scientist? It might sound dumb but I seem to have a mental block on this area!!

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

 

I suspect that barring some problem with the upgrade the issue is both pressing the switch down hard enough as rd2rk mentioned as well as something funky in the assignments for the wah.  As recommended clear the volume and wah blocks and start again. First create a 'Volume'(NOT a 'Gain') block and then create a wah block. Don't do anything with the assignments and just accept the default (EXP 2= Volume and EXP 1 = Wah). Also in case you have one, don't plug in an external expression pedal for the duration of the test.

 

 

I don't think he is hitting a bug or hardware problem although it is possible. It sounds more like a problem with the expression pedal assignments such that the pedal is not controlling the block and therefor not reading any percentage change.

His guys, I am totally new to the Helix and am struggling to get to grips with setting things up, it doesn't seem as intuitive as many make out, I don't have a second pedal. I will create a pathway as you suggest and post how I get on. 

I have also raised a ticket with Line6 and here is the response ( I must admit the suggestion to get a second pedal seems a bit of a cop out );

 

Hello subseauk. Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi,
please backup your user presets, then perform a reset in your Helix and try again :
-backup your presets via HX Edit
-switch off Helix
-press and hold the two lower middle footswitches FS9+FS10 and switch on your Helix
-you will see "Resetting Globals, Presets,...." and Helix boots normally after the reset
-please try again if you still got the same problem

-the toe/footswitch needs to be pressed with some force . But it is easier when standing and putting your weight in , it is more difficult when sitting or with your hand (if you have you Helix on
a table and use with your hands this can be difficult)

A dotted EXP or EXP means that it is not the active pedal, the solid shown EXP is the active pedal
(so you know which pedal you are controlling at the moment)

if you don't like using the footswitch you could add a 2nd external expression pedal

if you absolutely cannot activate the toeswitch the Helix should be checked by service
(please contact your reseller then)

Best regards,
Christoph Dégardin

Line 6 Technical Support Europe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

Figure? Do you mean the Scribble strip? Never seen dots....could you clarify?

Not in the scribble strip, in the window above the pedal ( it shows Exp1 in a Dot matrix and Exp2 in solid white figures!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, subseauk said:

Not in the scribble strip, in the window above the pedal ( it shows Exp1 in a Dot matrix and Exp2 in solid white figures!!

The scribble strip means the window above the pedal, sorry for missunderstanding

But even in a new clear preset the % value should increase in this window, when you step on the the pedal.

Does this work in a new preset?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, subseauk said:

 I can't see and therefore don't know how to assign the pedal is there anywhere where the setup can be shown without being a rocket scientist?

Select your Wah block and press the button next to the SAVE button. Then you can select in the menu Bypass Assign > Switch.

There you can test, if the pedal works without the Toe switch. Then you can narrow down the problem

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all, Many thanks to all those who sent suggestions, after speaking with the supplier and Line 6 I had enough confidence to really put some weight into the pedal and lo and behold after performing a full reset of the Helix and pressing the FS9 and FS10 switches whilst powering up I have apparently cured the issue.

Once again a big thanks to all who contributed to resolving this issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pedal is RIDICULOUS hard to trigger by pressing down.  It's by design.  I remember the same thing from my HD500.  If or when you have the resources, buy one or two ME expression pedals.  I actually run my signal through a Dunlop volume pedal at the front of the HF (easy hack to balance unexpected signal outputs on the fly in an emergency situation).  I use the two externals for virtually all of my expression parameters and only use the onboard pedal when needed.  The 'green' expression pedal (I'm color blind and that sucker looks blue to me) is usually assigned to mix parameters for pitch fx, etc.  The red one is for different gains, sweeps, etc.  The onboard pedal is strictly wah.  All are triggered by snapshots.  It hasn't failed me yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...