Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi assign in Studio One 4

crushed

Hi!
I tried to assign a midi controller to Helix Native (Novation Launchkey mini). I want to record automation manually for wah. But can't do it. What is a right way to assign a knob to parameter. I can't find here any article for Studio One. Please add instructions for Studio One in this post

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/recording/helix-native/helix-native-midi-operations-in-a-daw-r900/
Please help me!
Thank you!
Denis

Read up on the Control Link section in the documentation. Basically, you define the hardware controller for Studio One. After that, you just touch/move the parameter you want to control, and drag the little hand in the Control Link section down to the track. This creates an automation lane automatically that's affected by the control you assigned. I think this should do what you want...

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to do a similar thing. This doesn't work. Native doesn't show / recognize any MIDI IN in its status even when you can get something to work. I had to add a separate manual Helix "Control Surface" in Studio One to get it to recognize automation commands with the "Knobs/switches" thing in Native. Very convoluted. Trying to drag the hand into the VST window yields an "unavailable" symbol. Other VSTs  (At least the ones I tried) are able to work in S1 as intended ( assigning CC#, MIDI learn, Etc). 

Sorry, I somehow missed "manually" and just addressed automation in general.

Let's say you want to control the Wah with a physical MIDI pedal that outputs controller #1. Note that #1 is reserved for Helix hardware, so you have to turn off hardware compatibility In Preferences to use this particular controller (or use CC #4 or higher).

Basically, you add an Instrument track to Studio One, and assign its output to Helix Native. Assign the Instrument Track's input to the relevant MIDI controller, right-click on the Helix Wah position parameter, and choose Controller Assign > MIDI Learn. Move the footpedal to complete the assignment, and the Position slider will move based on the pedal position. Now you can put the  Instrument track in record mode, start recording, and move the pedal to record the automation.

For a longer, step-by-step description, please visit the blog on craiganderton.com.

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2019 at 4:29 AM, craiganderton said:

For a longer, step-by-step description, please visit the blog on craiganderton.com.

Hi Craig, i eagerly clicked over to the blog to get a better description, but the blog was gone and wayback machine didnt harvest that page.

Do you have that step by step, as ive spent days trying to work it out with limited success.  I feel like im close.  Im actually trying to capture Helix LT as my expression pedal, which i have created the external device "new instrument" and can record MIDI to an Aux track but can record it into the automation lane for Native Wah.  Cheers man