Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Temporary workaround for the snapshot problem in 2.81 Helix Floor

ardie78

Here's what I did. I wanted so badly to use 2.81. Problem was, almost all my presets had snapshots with different parameter changes in them. But when I would use the snapshots, the unit would freeze. I thought what if I cleared the snapshot assignments? So I did a quick search on the web and only thing I could find was how to clear all controller assignments. So I did that (for every preset I had then saved them). Working normal now, except I had to manually reenter the different parameter changes for my snaps. Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, ardie78 said:

Here's what I did. I wanted so badly to use 2.81. Problem was, almost all my presets had snapshots with different parameter changes in them. But when I would use the snapshots, the unit would freeze. I thought what if I cleared the snapshot assignments? So I did a quick search on the web and only thing I could find was how to clear all controller assignments. So I did that (for every preset I had then saved them). Working normal now, except I had to manually reenter the different parameter changes for my snaps. Hope this helps.

I'm a big fan of workarounds but unless you only have a few presets this seems like a particularly onerous one. I am on 2.81 and use snapshots with many parameter changes and my Helix does not "freeze". Does this happen only when you are connected to HX Edit or when you are disconnected as well? Had you already tried all other available avenues like doing a global reset and/or reloading the firmware and also reloading your presets? Did you ensure you have both the 2.81 version of HX Edit installed as well as updating to the 2.81 firmware? I don't think most users here have experienced the kind of freeze you are encountering when switching snapshots. Maybe I missed some critical topic on this but it sounds like an upgrade issue that might be resolved in another way that does not require you to clear your controller assignments. You kind of selected the nuclear option for working around this.

Yup I did all of those. Reloaded the firmware 4 times. Even reverted to 2.71 then back to 2.81. Installed hx edit 2.71 on that one then backed up again.  Then reinstalled 2.81 for the update and the restore.  Did the global reset before reloading my presets. Then restarting the unit even before trying anything. Even tried reloading my presets one by one. What I found is it happens to most (not all) of my presets where some blocks are copied from another preset then edited a bit to fit the song it's for. I've owned the unit for three years and nothing like this has ever happened to me. 

30 minutes ago, ardie78 said:

Yup I did all of those. Reloaded the firmware 4 times. Even reverted to 2.71 then back to 2.81. Installed hx edit 2.71 on that one then backed up again.  Then reinstalled 2.81 for the update and the restore.  Did the global reset before reloading my presets. Then restarting the unit even before trying anything. Even tried reloading my presets one by one. What I found is it happens to most (not all) of my presets where some blocks are copied from another preset then edited a bit to fit the song it's for. I've owned the unit for three years and nothing like this has ever happened to me. 

Sounds like you're pretty update savvy. This one is a head-scratcher.  Just curious, what firmware version were the  presets you loaded to HX Edit 2.81 and what version of HX Edit were they backed up with?

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Sounds like you're pretty update savvy. This one is a head-scratcher.  Just curious, what firmware version were the  presets you loaded to HX Edit 2.81 and what version of HX Edit were they backed up with?

At first I was on 2.80. Backed up with hx edit 2.80 before updating to 2.81. Problem appeared. Reinstalled 2.81. Still there. Reverted to 2.80 (including  hx edit 2.80).Everything normal again (except for the exp pedal bug). Updated to 2.81 again then restored backup. Snapshot freezing the unit again. Had to play a show the next day so I reverted everything (including hx edit) to 2.71 where everything's normal. Played the show without problems. When I got back home, I updated again this time from 2.71 to 2.81. Freezing still. Then that's when the idea to clear controller settings came to me. Was desperate to use the new amps. Lol

I have every backup from every update in my laptop so no problems reverting. 

Have you opened up a support ticket? I’ve seen a few reports of people having issues with snapshots, but it doesn’t seem to be widespread. It’s the sort of issue where having as many firsthand reports as possible will help the team a lot.

Yup opened a support ticket. I did everything he said. He also told me to recreate the preset from scratch. That worked. But I just have too many patches to recreate from scratch. I found it easier to just clear the controllers and reenter the parameter changes manually than recreating everything from scratch. I did it so I can use the thing already. It's been really frustrating for me

What worked for me (only a couple of my Presets seemed to be affected) was to use HX Edit to change to another Snapshot. Click on the error message that resulted (this makes the message disappear) and SAVE the Preset. Do this for each Snapshot in turn. Tedious, but much quicker than recreating the Preset from scratch.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, johnfrancis said:

What worked for me (only a couple of my Presets seemed to be affected) was to use HX Edit to change to another Snapshot. Click on the error message that resulted (this makes the message disappear) and SAVE the Preset. Do this for each Snapshot in turn. Tedious, but much quicker than recreating the Preset from scratch.

Tried this. Worked great. Thanks fo the tip. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johnfrancis said:

I had the same problem with one of my presets(...fortunately only one)

For me a setting of the presence parameter of an amp block caused the problem in the snapshot so I removed it.

Clicking on the error message and save the presets works too. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey Helixians, 

i also faced this issue. Based on your notes on controller assignment values I took a look what I had assigned.

Multiple assignments on footswitch 5 in my case (3 of them) caused the problem.

I removed just them and the preset was working again.

Maybe this helps somebody to dig deeper into it or resolve his issues with minimal assignment trouble.

Regards , Tobi

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-16 um 01.08.25.png

• Upvote 1