Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner on Helix Floor with mic either mutes everything or nothing.

naturian

Hey fellas,

is there any option to keep the Mic Input unmuted when you tune the guitar over the internal tuner? Or do I have to pick an external tuner? Problem is, that i'm not able to make any announcements to the crowd over the microphone when the Helix is in tuner mode.

Regards!

3 hours ago, naturian said:

Hey fellas,

is there any option to keep the Mic Input unmuted when you tune the guitar over the internal tuner? Or do I have to pick an external tuner? Problem is, that i'm not able to make any announcements to the crowd over the microphone when the Helix is in tuner mode.

Regards!

When you are on the Tuner page the second knob from the left is "Output" If you rotate the knob you can choose from Mute, Multi, 1/4 inch, XLR, Send 1/2, Send 3/4, Digital, USB 1/2, USB 3/4 or finally USB 5/6. Multi will give you both the Mic and the sound of you tuning.

14 minutes ago, naturian said:

Hey datacommando,

that's correct but I don't want the crowd listen to the sound when I tune my guitar. I want the guitar muted while the mic is bypassing the tuner.

Then select only the output you use for the guitar

for example if the guitar outs on 1/4 inch and the vocals go out of XLR select 1/ Inc and it will mute the guitar only

12 hours ago, naturian said:

Okay, I selected  "Guitar" as input and "1/4 Inch"" as output, but the guitar signal is still getting through while the mic is muted. Is that a bug?

No, it is working as intended. The parameter you are setting is 'Output' so unless you select "Mute" as the value, all output will be sent to the output(s) you select. What you are asking for is essentially a 'Mute' parameter where the setting would determine which output(s) to mute when the tuner is engaged. You can submit this request to Ideascale.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, naturian said:

Okay, I selected  "Guitar" as input and "1/4 Inch"" as output, but the guitar signal is still getting through while the mic is muted. Is that a bug?

Hi, 

There is also this option that is noted in the Owner’s Manual:

TIP: If you have a favorite pedal or rack tuner and wish to use it instead of the Helix tuner, connect Send 1, 2, 3, or 4 to your tuner's input and turn Knob 2 (Tuner Out) to select that Send. This way, every time you hold the TAP footswitch, Helix will automatically route the signal to your favorite tuner.

There is no mention of if this also mutes to other outputs while tuning and I don’t have the hardware available to check this. It may well function as mentioned in the post above by HonestOpinion and still cut the output from your Mic.

6 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi, 

There is also this option that is noted in the Owner’s Manual:

TIP: If you have a favorite pedal or rack tuner and wish to use it instead of the Helix tuner, connect Send 1, 2, 3, or 4 to your tuner's input and turn Knob 2 (Tuner Out) to select that Send. This way, every time you hold the TAP footswitch, Helix will automatically route the signal to your favorite tuner.

There is no mention of if this also mutes to other outputs while tuning and I don’t have the hardware available to check this. It may well function as mentioned in the post above by HonestOpinion and still cut the output from your Mic.

Hey,

so I have to use a seperate tuner for this method? That's the thing.. I don't want to use any external pedal. It looks like HonestOpinion said, that I have to submit a request to the ideascale to mute a determined output. But thank you anyway :)

edit:

looks like some people have the same "issue" :) 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Control-which-input-to-outputted-while-tuning/925808-23508

• Thanks 1

QUICK THOUGHT...........while reading this dawned on me.....for my acoustic/vocal setup, I mainly use one preset, and maybe 2 or 3 snapshots.  My guitar is on path 1, and my vocals on path 2......same issue when I tune my mic is muted as well.  However....

why not just add a volume block to the end of your guitar path, and create a snapshot called Tuning where on that snapshot the volume block is engaged and essentially turned down.  By going to that snapshot your guitar is muted out front, yet vocals still come through, then you can set the tuner settings to allow signal to pass through and not mute. 

Your really just taking the mute function from the tuner and place it elsewhere via Snapshot/Volume block.