moehuh

Suggestion/Request: Global function for changing selected snapshots on all presets on HX Stomp

My HX Stomp is part of my pedalboard and is mainly used as amp simulator. I have a RJM Mastermind to control all pedals and I like using presets on my MIDI pedals. The board is set up so I can switch between going direct (HX Stomp always on with amp sims) or using real amps (amp sims off). This gives me excellent flexibility and it's been a lot of fun already with great feedback from my sound engineer.

So far, I've only been using 1 preset on the Stomp, because I have to switch the amp sims on or off depending on my setup. However, I would love to use multiple presets and utilize more of the Stomp's possibilities.  I switch at least once a week between real amps or sims and the time consumed by adjusting presets is of course multiplied by the number of presets used.

I figured the best way to arrange my presets would be to use the 3 snapshots per preset like this:

1: amp block & IR off (use real amps)

2: low output guitar amp sim

3: high output guitar amp sim

-> the other blocks remain untouched (e.g. one preset for chorus effect only and another one for autoswell with delay and reverb, etc.)

It would be great to have some sort of global function to change snapshots on all presets. This would save a lot of time and potential mistake when changing presets.

I can imagine that other Helix users would love this too (considering you want to use another guitar with different output and sound, but want to keep your preset structure)

Thought about using 2 different setlists, but that's not really practical (use of computer and HX edit).

Will check with Ron from RJM, maybe he has an idea, after all you could select a snapshot via MIDI too.

If you have other suggestions, I'm very happy to hear them!

Edit: When you save a preset, it saves the current snapshot you're on too and recalls that snapshot when loading the preset. My suggestion is "moving" the saved snapshot on all HX Stomp presets, e.g. from snapshot 1 to snapshot 2.

13 minutes ago, moehuh said:

It would be great to have some sort of global function to change snapshots on all presets. This would save a lot of time and potential mistake when changing presets.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for. You can only have one patch loaded at any given time... how would globally toggling snapshots on patches that aren't currently in use be of any benefit?

It sounds to me like you want to apply a snapshot structure across multiple presets, and if so that's not something that falls into the domain of what the Helix does as the Helix is only aware of the one preset it has in memory at a time.  To apply some function across presets would require an external operation similar to that used in the Line 6 Updater for cycling through the presets in your Helix or your Helix setlist to apply those changes.  Even then I have a hard time imagining how you would designate how a snapshot gets applied given that a snapshot is constructed around the blocks in a single preset.  If an amp block is different in another preset, the snapshot wouldn't know that's the one to be used or what to do with it.  This is why you can't just copy a snapshot to another preset or save a snapshot.  Essentially it only exists within the context of the preset it was created in.  It's not a separate entity.

• Upvote 1

By the way, one trick I use for having multiple presets that share the same snapshots and settings.  When you export a preset to disk you typically save it under a given name, in my case the name of the song it applies to.  What you can do is add identifiers to the file name on disk.  When it's recalled it will still only have the original name of the preset.  So I have multiple presets of the same song saved on disk, each one geared to the guitar I'll be using on it for example.  So on disk I might have "My Song - Gretsch:" and "My Song - Tele".  Both of these will show up as "My Song" once it's imported, but will be different variations of the same preset.

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for. You can only have one patch loaded at any given time... how would globally toggling snapshots on patches that aren't currently in use be of any benefit?

I'm talking about the snapshot number saved on each preset (see edit above). Loading of presets would remain the same, just always the same snapshot number.

E.g. After moving all snapshots to 2: preset 0 has snapshot 2 selected, preset 1 has snapshot 2 selected, etc.

3 minutes ago, moehuh said:

I'm talking about the snapshot number saved on each preset (see edit above). Loading of presets would remain the same, just always the same snapshot number.

E.g. After moving all snapshots to 2: preset 0 has snapshot 2 selected, preset 1 has snapshot 2 selected, etc.

You can do that now... whatever state the patch is in when it is saved, is exactly how it will be recalled the next time it's selected. So if you want all your patches to load with "snapshot 2" engaged, just save them all that way.

1 minute ago, cruisinon2 said:

You can do that now... whatever state the patch is in when it is saved, is exactly how it'll be recalled the next time it's selected. So if you want all your patches to load with "snapshot 2" engaged, just save them all that way.

This is exactly what I'm planning to do!

But with something like 20-30 presets and having to move presets, whenever I switch from amps to HX Stomp only (which happens weekly), this will be very time-consuming.

Therefore, my suggestion to have a global function which "moves" all snapshots from e.g. 1 to 2 :-)

51 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

It sounds to me like you want to apply a snapshot structure across multiple presets, and if so that's not something that falls into the domain of what the Helix does as the Helix is only aware of the one preset it has in memory at a time.  To apply some function across presets would require an external operation similar to that used in the Line 6 Updater for cycling through the presets in your Helix or your Helix setlist to apply those changes.  Even then I have a hard time imagining how you would designate how a snapshot gets applied given that a snapshot is constructed around the blocks in a single preset.  If an amp block is different in another preset, the snapshot wouldn't know that's the one to be used or what to do with it.  This is why you can't just copy a snapshot to another preset or save a snapshot.  Essentially it only exists within the context of the preset it was created in.  It's not a separate entity.

Correct, you would need an external operation going through each preset. I'm not talking about overall snapshot structures across multiple presets, just changing the selected snapshot on each preset to the same snapshot number across all presets (what you do with your snapshots per preset is of course dependent on that specific preset alone)

37 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

By the way, one trick I use for having multiple presets that share the same snapshots and settings.  When you export a preset to disk you typically save it under a given name, in my case the name of the song it applies to.  What you can do is add identifiers to the file name on disk.  When it's recalled it will still only have the original name of the preset.  So I have multiple presets of the same song saved on disk, each one geared to the guitar I'll be using on it for example.  So on disk I might have "My Song - Gretsch:" and "My Song - Tele".  Both of these will show up as "My Song" once it's imported, but will be different variations of the same preset.

That's good to know, thx

53 minutes ago, moehuh said:

This is exactly what I'm planning to do!

But with something like 20-30 presets and having to move presets, whenever I switch from amps to HX Stomp only (which happens weekly), this will be very time-consuming.

Therefore, my suggestion to have a global function which "moves" all snapshots from e.g. 1 to 2 :-)

In the long run it's gonna save you a lot of time if you maintain different set lists for each scenario...I know you've said you don't want to do that, but the alternative is to be in a constant state of editing back and forth. Yes it'll take a little time initially, but you only have to do it once... with the process you're opting for instead, you'll never be finished.

35 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

In the long run it's gonna save you a lot of time if you maintain different set lists for each scenario...I know you've said you don't want to do that, but the alternative is to be in a constant state of editing back and forth. Yes it'll take a little time initially, but you only have to do it once... with the process you're opting for instead, you'll never be finished.

Is there a way to load a setlist without HX Edit? The Stomp unfortunately only has one setlist on board... And there WILL be the scenario, where I forgot to change the setlist at home before the rehearsal / gig ;-)

Otherwise, this would be a good solution -> setlist 1 with amp, setlist 2 witout

2 hours ago, moehuh said:

Is there a way to load a setlist without HX Edit? The Stomp unfortunately only has one setlist on board... And there WILL be the scenario, where I forgot to change the setlist at home before the rehearsal / gig ;-)

Otherwise, this would be a good solution -> setlist 1 with amp, setlist 2 witout

Didn't realize there's only one set list on the Stomp... if that's the case, then you'd have to keep your amp/no amp  patches isolated within the one list you've got. Assuming that you haven't filled every available slot, you should have enough room to do that... just label them accordingly.

2 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Didn't realize there's only one set list on the Stomp... if that's the case, then you'd have to keep your amp/no amp  patches isolated within the one list you've got. Assuming that you haven't filled every available slot, you should have enough room to do that... just label them accordingly.

Unfortunately, it needs to be the same preset number, as I'm controlling everything through my PBC Mastermind (PC messages saved per preset per song). Changing the PBC presets would be even more work.

Limiting myself to 10 presets and manually changing snapshots and save the presets again seems to be the easiest solution so far.

11 hours ago, moehuh said:

I get why a global option would be optimal for your setup but I would second cruisinon's suggestion as the easiest way to go for now. Just load up the setlist you need with all of the presets always in the same slots, regardless of which setlist. Pretty much what you do now but you won't have to change all the default snapshot selections each time. Then bring a laptop with you to rehearsals and gigs in case you forget to swap in the correct setlist. I made a habit of bringing a laptop with me to rehearsals/gigs just in the event of a worst case scenario I have to reload my presets or horrors, reflash the firmware. Could happen. Comes in handy if you need a surface for a digital mixer or want to record as well.

The biggest drawback with the multiple setlist approach is that you have to keep three setlists in synch with each other as you modify them. Come to think of it, go back to your current approach, hey Line6, this guy needs a global snapshot default option and we all need enhanced setlist functionality where a preset is only a pointer to the underlying song's actual location. That would rock everyones' world and also solve moehuh's dilemma. Scratch that global snapshot default request :-)

Shameless plug for enhanced Setlists on Ideascale:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Setlists-to-Helix/911976-23508

• Like 1

Found a solution with the RJM Mastermind:

Configured a button to send CC messages to change snapshots on the Stomp whenever I change a preset on the Mastermind. The button itself is not stored, so it always sends the current state (e.g. always Snapshot 1 together with all other MIDI messages, which puts me to snapshot 1 on the new preset, even if that preset was stored on snapshot 2). Fantastic!

Once starting to use the Stomp like this, I found out that there is a significant audio delay when changing presets. This is a real bummer and ultimately a show stopper for me  (the cut out is clearly audible even in a band setting). Seems like I will have to keep using the Stomp as "just amp sim" after all...

Really hope the Line6 guys will find a solution for a spill-over between presets! Without this, the stomp will never use it's full potential