Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Combo + Dt25 Extension Cabinet

ColonelForbin

Happy New Year!

I have had my HD500 for a while, and now I am finally buying a DT amp to go with it. I have been doing the research, comparing the different models, and settled on the DT25 combo as the most applicable to what I am going to do. I am also going to add a DT25 1x12 extension cab to pair with it. I like the DT50, I just didn't want that much power, volume, and weight! I also liked the look of the DT25 head+cab, but I didn't want only closed back cabinet sound.

The band I am jamming with is standard two guitar lineup with bass and drums- funk-rock-jam-blues sound; not metal, not heavy rock. I will be playing more of a rhythm guitar role, with some riffs, fills, and leads. I use a Fender USA strat, with a humbucker in the bridge slot.

That being said, I would like to hear about your opinions, experiences, and any technical details you've encountered when using the DT25 combo with the 1x12 extension cab.

Things like:

-Will the combo stack securely on top of the extension cabinet?

-Does plugging in the extension cab while also running the combo speaker make the sound much different? IE, louder, quieter, cleaner, dirtier, punchier, more headroom, etc.? I know this changes the ohms, but I don't really know how that impacts volume and tone.

-How does the combination of the open backed combo speaker sound paired with the closed back extension cab?

-Can the internal speaker of the DT25 combo be disconnected safely, and only use the combo to power the closed back extension cabinet?

-And in general, what is your take on using the DT25 with the HD500, using the L6 Link feature?

Thanks!!

I use the Pod HD500/DT25 combo in my band as well. I currently only use it with a single cab as I have the combo, not the head. I play both lead and rhythm and it's perfect for both. I did use a second cab for a while, but since we mic our amps anyways it was just extra stuff to haul, as the DT was plenty loud for hearing myself and adding to volume in the room.

I've heard from others on the board that the extension cab fits the combo perfectly as far as stacking.

It will be louder than single speaker because you are pushing more air.

Can't say I noticed a tone difference between running multiple speakers or just a single. I'm sure there is some?

The open backed cab is on the floor, so the lows lost are not as noticeable as they would be if they were the top speaker.

There are multiple speaker jacks on the back, and the internal speaker is connected by a 1/4" plug into the 8 Ohm jack on the back. No harm if you choose to disconnect it and use a different cab.

L6 link is great. Works well for a simple hookup. I own and run all our sound and light gear for my band, so my rig is so simple I do everything else first, lights, PA and cables, then when everything is set up, I open my pedalboard, plug in my power strip, hook up my L6 link cable, and power on my stuff. Set the mic in front of the amp, play a few riffs for sound check, and my rig is done. Simple as can be.

Hope these answers help. Don't hesitate, buy it.

Happy New Year!

I have had my HD500 for a while, and now I am finally buying a DT amp to go with it. I have been doing the research, comparing the different models, and settled on the DT25 combo as the most applicable to what I am going to do. I am also going to add a DT25 1x12 extension cab to pair with it. I like the DT50, I just didn't want that much power, volume, and weight! I also liked the look of the DT25 head+cab, but I didn't want only closed back cabinet sound.

The band I am jamming with is standard two guitar lineup with bass and drums- funk-rock-jam-blues sound; not metal, not heavy rock. I will be playing more of a rhythm guitar role, with some riffs, fills, and leads. I use a Fender USA strat, with a humbucker in the bridge slot.

That being said, I would like to hear about your opinions, experiences, and any technical details you've encountered when using the DT25 combo with the 1x12 extension cab.

Things like:

-Will the combo stack securely on top of the extension cabinet?

-Does plugging in the extension cab while also running the combo speaker make the sound much different? IE, louder, quieter, cleaner, dirtier, punchier, more headroom, etc.? I know this changes the ohms, but I don't really know how that impacts volume and tone.

-How does the combination of the open backed combo speaker sound paired with the closed back extension cab?

-Can the internal speaker of the DT25 combo be disconnected safely, and only use the combo to power the closed back extension cabinet?

-And in general, what is your take on using the DT25 with the HD500, using the L6 Link feature?

Thanks!!

• Upvote 1

Sounds familar! I played bass for a band long ago (2001-2008, back in Boulder, Colorado) and was in much the same situation, regarding setting up the mixer, PA, wiring the stage, and getting everything other than my rig ready to go. Didn't have to deal with lights though. I still have weird dreams where I am scrambling around trying to find gear, and wire cables, get recording gear plugged in, and then suddenly it's time to start the gig, and I am still running around trying to find an XLR cable or something! Lol, not sure what that means! I guess it means I miss being in band.. :) Living in Chicago now, definitely a cool town, and as far as musical opportunity, it's a pretty amazing city. I miss Colorado like crazy though!

Anyhoot, my buddy who plays the lead guitar / lead vocal role in this ensemble just parted ways with the band he was with for a long while, so we are just going slow and having fun, no gigs yet - just had our first few jams over the last month or so.

I was using a hodge podge of solid state guitar and bass amps I had around, and running the HD500 into the FX return. Sounded fine at home or by myself - but with drums, bass and his amp going, I just wasn't keeping up in tone and volume. He uses a 40w Fender Tweed, and he's an all-analog pedal guy; some combinations of his pedals make that Tweed louder than; well, friggin' loud! He does struggle some with getting all those pedals and signal levels to play nice, and he's got a couple different compressors in his chain, and a noise gate. Overall, nice tone, he uses a really sweet USA Gibson SG.

In that regard, concerning stage volume, and not overwhelming vocals, another reason why I was drawn to the DT25 with my POD, knowing I can use the DT as my stage monitor, and keep the stage volume from getting out of hand. And I like the idea of running direct to the board, in terms of having an easy signal path for the monitor sends to the rest of the stage and for my main mix to the PA in gigs when mic'ing the DT isn't feasible.

I have been with the POD multi-fx idea for a while - I love analog pedals, IMHO, the Keeley 4 knob comp is the greatest pedal ever made! But, I also feel right at home with a programmable all-in one type set up. Had the X3 previously, sold it to fund the HD500 when it first came out, but then got more into recording other friends bands, and let the HD500 collect a bit of dust. Gets tough cranking up at home when you live in the upstairs apartment. I dig the way it sounds via headphones, when ya just gotta play, but that gets old - and makes patch creation quite challenging. Was making all these patches that sounded fine in headphones, and they were not usable when played through air into an actual amp or PA.

In terms of the lure of the DT25 stage volume, I had noticed watching various friends and bands play, that when you record the direct off the board, that the louder the guitarist plays his amp on stage, the lower his signal is in the board mix, to the extent that sometimes they would just turn him all the way down in the mix! I did end up picking up a Tascam portable recorder that can do four track recording - stereo line in and stereo built in mics, and it records them to two different .wav files, at up to 24bit/96k. Put that on a tripod, point it at the stage for the room mix, and take whatever I can get for line signals, then merge them later in software on the computer. Got some nice mixes from a few shows, but the file size limit is frustrating; end up having to stop and start between each song, no matter how large an SD card I use. But I digress..

What's cool about getting back to jamming is there are two different rehearsal spots we can use, with drums kits, PA's, all that jazz. I am psyched, though going to definitely need some time to tweak a bit with the patches I already use on the POD, to maximize the benefit of the link control over the DT25.

As I understand it, using the Link is akin to what they used to call the "four cable method"? In terms of, it places the digital preamps in the correct location of the sequence, so that the input and output stages are in the right order. I tried that 4 cable method with the X3 and never really got it to work quite right - though that I think was a factor of the crappy amps I was using.

I did order the DT25 combo today - from Zzounds. Warning to you ALL : if you suffer from GAS, you may want to be careful on that website! They offer an 8 payment plan, where you pay the installments every 30 days, and they ship it after you make the first payment. Looks like it shipped out today, UPS Ground, so probably be jamming by next week sometime!

That being said, literally as soon as I confirmed the order today, I started poking around on these forums, and saw mention of this "New" amp thing that L6 is dropping on us January 23rd.. I was like, REALLY???? Come on!!! ;)

One can only speculate.. I do feel that the DT25 has progressed nicely in terms of firmware updates, looks like the expanded the selection of amps one can use without needing the HD500, though I still think the idea of using the POD with the Link is a great concept. Guess I better brace myself for a serious case of GAS on January 23!!!!

Oh man, they are killing me with GAS!!! I clearly have been out of touch with the world of Line6 product releases. HD500X!!!?!?!

Really???/ Uh, dang.

I am guessing it's more DSP, and the lighted footswitches. Any additional features that make the 500X a better companion to the DT series over the HD500?

I have a DT 50 2x12 combo and can get awesome John Frusciante style tones. And a lot of different routes can be taken to access them. Should be no problem at all to get a funk rock rhythm sounds from tight and crisp.... To.... Smooth oooozy warbly gooey slaptastic style leads. DT 25 should have no issues doing that. Good choice.

• Upvote 1