Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix / JTV / DT amps

kenmac1

Hey guys n girls, has anyone used the Helix / DT / JTV combination like the old school Dream Rig concept yet within 2.8 / 2.81?  can you please explain in simple step by step terms how to do this, or better still link a video showing how this is achieved, and what exactly can or can't be done?  It would be great to see for example how to not only make the Helix control the DT, but also send some of the fx within a snapshot to the front of the DT, and others into the fx loop, which I assume is pretty simple,
I can't find any videos on how to do this, no tutorials of any kind, no information on how to make the Helix act purely as an FX unit, channel switcher / controller, allowing me to bypass all the internal amp modelling, by using the DT to give me actual valve amp sounds.  The online manual does not go into using the Helix with the DT (JTV) like the older Pod Dream rig system, as this is a new feature, but this can apparently now be done with 2.8.

How in depth do the Helix control capabilities of the DT actually go?  Can I for example make it so that when I switch a snapshot or patch, as well as changing amp channels on my DT, it can also alter the tonal settings, and Gain levels accordingly, (i.e., if I use the Marshall or Bogner for example for both lead and rhythm, but need the gain levels or tones changed for solos, can the Helix do this within a snapshot without adding any external / helix distortion pedal to achieve the extra kick?   Output differentials and reverbs can obviously be controlled by using a modelled reverb in the Helix and setting the final stage of the Helix to appropriate volume levels as we have been doing up til now.

• Like 1

The new software allows you to configure the DT amps, just like the Pod HD did. The rest of the functions are the same as before in terms of adding effects. The tube output stage of the DT amps will always be active. To change the parameters of the DT using HX Edit:

1. load a preset
  2. navigate to the output block and click
  3. locate the DT25/50 page select and click
  4. Choose Preset mode to be able to control the amp via presets (global and off are the other options)
  5. The top slider controls what preamp will be active- Helix or DT. Select the one you want
  6. The next 3 sliders control the Topology, Class A or B, and Pentode/Triode modes
  7. The next slider turns the onboard DT reverb on or off, the next control the default amount of the reverb.
  8. The last 3 sliders control the "hidden" DT50 only options.
  9. To add Snapshot control over a slider, either click on the slider cursor (square box) and press "S" on your keyboard, or right click on the slider, scroll to the bottom and select Snapshot. This way you can control the DT parameters via Snapshots.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gtrman100 said:

The new software allows you to configure the DT amps, just like the Pod HD did. The rest of the functions are the same as before in terms of adding effects. The tube output stage of the DT amps will always be active. To change the parameters of the DT using HX Edit:

1. load a preset
  2. navigate to the output block and click
  3. locate the DT25/50 page select and click
  4. Choose Preset mode to be able to control the amp via presets (global and off are the other options)
  5. The top slider controls what preamp will be active- Helix or DT. Select the one you want
  6. The next 3 sliders control the Topology, Class A or B, and Pentode/Triode modes
  7. The next slider turns the onboard DT reverb on or off, the next control the default amount of the reverb.
  8. The last 3 sliders control the "hidden" DT50 only options.
  9. To add Snapshot control over a slider, either click on the slider cursor (square box) and press "S" on your keyboard, or right click on the slider, scroll to the bottom and select Snapshot. This way you can control the DT parameters via Snapshots.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.  I'll give I'll give all this a go.  I have a feeling I am gonna love using the rig in this manner far more than amp modelling through the Helix, into a desk / flat monitor.