Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp UI freezing

JeffMN

So, I have an HX Stomp that I love.  I have it on my board with a BOSS MS-3, and also a Morningstar MC6.  I've had some issues with the HX where it 'freezes' - the UI just stops responding altogether, and the right most stomp switch turns a solid blue color, no matter what it was prior to that.  The good thing is, the pedal still processes audio while the interface is frozen, but you cannot change anything (patches, snapshots, etc) while in this state - it requires a power cycle to 'reset' things.

This past weekend, I was determined to figure out why this was happening, as it has been happening more frequent lately as I program my board with MIDI messaging.  I can freeze my HX without fail over and over again - literally right on booting it - by just having my BOSS MS-3 send MIDI clock data, which I configure the HX to listen for.  I've posted a video of this behavior here:  https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_WlE8nrNX

In the video, I've just booted everything up, and attempt to send a PC message to the HX from the MC6.  I made this video prior to discovering that if I turned off MIDI clock info from the MS-3, that the HX doesn't freeze any longer.  But here, you can see it boots, but as soon as I try to change patches, the freezing happens.  Again - I can do this over and over again - when MIDI clock is enabled on the BOSS.

I'd prefer to keep MIDI clock enabled, as my tap tempo switch is connected to the BOSS - the MS-3 has no MIDI input, so I have it at the 'top' of the MIDI chain - MS3 -> MC6 -> HX Stomp.  I've tried having the HX configured to listen on a specific MIDI channel (6) or Omni, I've tried it with and without the MC6 in the chain, it doesn't matter... it happens every time.  I've opened a support request to Line 6, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them on this one.

EDIT : I should also add - I updated to 2.81.0 and performed a factory reset on the device.  I've loaded no backup or anything.  I also cleared all presets / IRs / settings by booting it up holding all three stomp switches.  This was all done prior to creating the video above, as you can see it's an entirely empty patch that I am able to get it to freeze with.

Is anyone else experiencing issues like this?  It is maddening.  For such an amazing unit, it's discouraging that this is happening.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, JeffMN said:

So, I have an HX Stomp that I love.  I have it on my board with a BOSS MS-3, and also a Morningstar MC6.  I've had some issues with the HX where it 'freezes' - the UI just stops responding altogether, and the right most stomp switch turns a solid blue color, no matter what it was prior to that.  The good thing is, the pedal still processes audio while the interface is frozen, but you cannot change anything (patches, snapshots, etc) while in this state - it requires a power cycle to 'reset' things.

This past weekend, I was determined to figure out why this was happening, as it has been happening more frequent lately as I program my board with MIDI messaging.  I can freeze my HX without fail over and over again - literally right on booting it - by just having my BOSS MS-3 send MIDI clock data, which I configure the HX to listen for.  I've posted a video of this behavior here:  https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_WlE8nrNX

In the video, I've just booted everything up, and attempt to send a PC message to the HX from the MC6.  I made this video prior to discovering that if I turned off MIDI clock info from the MS-3, that the HX doesn't freeze any longer.  But here, you can see it boots, but as soon as I try to change patches, the freezing happens.  Again - I can do this over and over again - when MIDI clock is enabled on the BOSS.

I'd prefer to keep MIDI clock enabled, as my tap tempo switch is connected to the BOSS - the MS-3 has no MIDI input, so I have it at the 'top' of the MIDI chain - MS3 -> MC6 -> HX Stomp.  I've tried having the HX configured to listen on a specific MIDI channel (6) or Omni, I've tried it with and without the MC6 in the chain, it doesn't matter... it happens every time.  I've opened a support request to Line 6, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them on this one.

EDIT : I should also add - I updated to 2.81.0 and performed a factory reset on the device.  I've loaded no backup or anything.  I also cleared all presets / IRs / settings by booting it up holding all three stomp switches.  This was all done prior to creating the video above, as you can see it's an entirely empty patch that I am able to get it to freeze with.

Is anyone else experiencing issues like this?  It is maddening.  For such an amazing unit, it's discouraging that this is happening.

Same issue here!

Was running my MIDI board with MIDI clock on 2.71 with no problems (RJM Mastermind PBC-10, FW 2.4.0).

Updated my HX Stomp to 2.81 and it freezes as described above when the Mastermind sends a MIDI clock. Checked a lot of things and can to the same conclusion: 2.81 cannot handle MIDI clock signals properly.

Work-around until bug fix:

- turn off Rx MIDI CLOCK

- downgrade to 2.71

On 8/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, JeffMN said:

It is maddening.  For such an amazing unit, it's discouraging that this is happening.

I feel your frustration.

As a software engineer myself, I can tell you that there is an eternal struggle between releasing software as early as possible (you want your customers to experience all the fancy and amazing stuff you've been working on) and on the other hand to provide a software, which is as stable as possible. Proper testing takes an immense amount of time and at the end there will never be a 100% stable version (ancient programmer's wisdom: there is always one more bug).

Best thing to do is trying to understand a company's philosophy and adapt accordingly when it comes to software updates. Line6 seems to be more pushing forward than conservative, which usually results in fancy stuff and a bit more unstable first releases. Therefore, if you want a stable version, I'd advise to wait a couple of months before upgrading your firmware.

@Line6

Maybe a Beta-release would be a good idea for the next big release. That's what we do in our company and it's a great way of getting customer feedback, engaging those who want to try the new stuff (but are aware that there might be issues) and still create the same hype for new features.

@JeffMN

Might have actually found the problem. Had a customtone preset called "Lonely Heart" on my Stomp, which could not be exported when I wanted to do a backup. Removed all customtone presets and only kept my own. The MIDI clock now works and TAP/Tuner turns from red pulsing to blue pulsing (before it froze at constant blue).

Have you tried isolating the units to see if the problem still exists (only Boss MS-3 to Stomp, no other MIDI pedals)?

• 3 months later...

Just posting to say I had the exact same issue - midi clock out enabled in Boss MS3 with midi clock receive enabled in HX Stomp. Freezing as soon as I try to make any patch changes via midi into HX Stomp. Disabling midi clock receive in HX Stomp does 'fix' the issue. 

Thankfully this thread is here and I found a fix otherwise I would have no idea what was wrong.... but this should be fixed by now....

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue, is there a fix for this other than disabling MIDI clock/ downgrading firmware? What would I lose out on if I did downgrade firmware? Unfortunately even when I disable Midi Clock receive on mine the problem still persists, the only solution is to stop generating MIDI clock.