Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need this tone

rsvette12

Hi Guys:

Where can I get a helix tone like Charlies - only uses this one tone out of a boss and sounds amazing - kicks arse - check out his other videos also

If any one could hook me up  would really appreciate it - also only use headphones most of the time fyi

Thanks much

Thats ok I respect you guys - very much and all the help you pass on 

Just luv this tone and got really excited about having helix tone that sounds close to it - usually just a huge floyd fan but shredding has been a blast lately and without the correct tone its a bit tougher to sound the part 

Those squeels and pinch harmonics and chugging is spot on - I know he does some tweaking in daw but not much 

I know the BOSS says 5150... but it sounds nothing like a 5150 to me therefore it's leading you in the wrong direction. 

1. It's mid focussed
  2. It's low gain

In other words, it sounds more like EVH's earlier tones than it does his 5150 tones.....

For that.... give a Plexi Jump a try. Default settings should be close (guitar has a huge impact on that... adjust gains and tones as required)... but you will also need to add a little reverb and delay. 

Final Note: the guitar part on that video is really poorly recorded so my perception of both 1&2 could be out to lunch :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

For that.... give a Plexi Jump a try. Default settings should be close (guitar has a huge impact on that... adjust gains and tones as required)... but you will also need to add a little reverb and delay. 

agreed on the above, but I would also goose that amp model with a Scream 808 or something too - you won't get that tight of a high gain tone by just diming the gain on that model.  but a properly voiced overdrive - and maybe even slight compression - will get you there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffMN said:

but I would also goose that amp model with a Scream 808 or something too - you won't get that tight of a high gain tone by just diming the gain on that model.  but a properly voiced overdrive - and maybe even slight compression - will get you there!

+1....

EVH used an Echoplex pre-amp like many others before him and many others of that era did.

On the Helix... inserting the "kinky boost" (default settings) is a quick and dirty way to do what you are suggesting but there are dozens of other options as well. 

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking the pickups have an effect also - I have humbuckers on my Ibanez S Series in it with Ibanez stock pickup in the middle  (neck & bridge)

I put classic humbuckers in the first Ibanez because my Alex Lifeson LP sounded very good with Helix and they are tamer and sounderd more true to desired tone at least for Pink FLoyd tunes

I have another S Series premium showing up tomorrow with Dimarzios (top of the line) in all three positions

So I will compare them tomorrow - being a floyd fan the humbuckers with helix tones is very good but not so much on the driven side of things I'm thinking - well see

So far few I checked a lot of VH tones only a few I checked are close but not quite the same - Charlie is one hell of a guitar player - he doesnt reply to his comments on YT which is odd