Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

lo-pass filter auto sweep on Helix / HX Fx

unperfectcircle

On 8/14/2019 at 4:14 AM, unperfectcircle said:

Hi guys,

d’you know if is possible to create something like a low pass filter that automatically sweeps from a frequency to another in a certain amount of time?

Thanks a lot!

I looked for this as well, and was unable to do it - if I understand what you're describing, you want a filter on with an automated sweep, kind of like riding a wah pedal slowly back and forth to vary the frequencies being affected?  If not, apologies here...

I looked for the same thing as well, and couldn't figure out a way to do it on the HX alone.  To do that, I think you need a LFO of some sort to control the sweep changing.  I was able to create it with a BOSS MS-3 connected to the HX, and the MS-3 has a sweep set up that's sending MIDI CC messages to the HX.  My only problem with that is, the HX freezes with certain MIDI data being sent to it.  When it works, it's awesome.  But it freezes pretty regularly, so I while I'd love to do this with my band, I can't trust it at shows to not freeze on me.  Bummer for sure, still waiting for L6 to follow up with me.  :|

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply.

Exactly, I’m looking for a lo-pass filter that can be automated in order to create a sweep (something like “swoosh” sound if it makes sense lol).

On other units I’m able to program this function by using an LFO controller attached to the lo-pass filter inside an EQ block or, on another unit, by automating that parameter and setting up the beginning and end point along with a certain time to morph between the two points.

I was wondering if I could do the same on the Helix and HX Fx because I’d like to build a setup using one of those units.

So that’s not possible on the Line6 units, do I understand correctly? :(

2 hours ago, unperfectcircle said:

Agree, that or the possibility to attach controllers like LFOs, ADSR, envelopes etc to the FX parameters already in the machine...that would open up a whole new world of tonal flavors.

Nah!

What you really want is a Cynthia Size “A”

Stick one of these in your FX loop, that would open up a whole new world of tonal flavors.

Hmmm

i thought the '...Filter > Asheville Pattrn (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Moog® Moogerfooger® MF-105M MIDI MuRF Filter (with both MuRF and Bass MuRF voicings...' would be for that....

I didn't have the time to try it yet but the MF-105 videos show that effect.

(and the triggering LFO cant be the problem because every phaser does essentially the same thing)

bye

Simon

• 6 months later...

In case someone's interested in this, I finally found a solution for the effect I was trying to achieve thanks to the Throbber effect in the Legacy filters (speed 0.1hz, wave Ramp Up).

The only problem left is to make the sweep begin when the effect (or, even better, the snapshot) is engaged; from my tests with Native it seems like the filter always moves and the sweep doesn't start over from its frequency starting point with Snapshot or Patch changes. Is it something that only happens in Native?

9 hours ago, unperfectcircle said:

Is it something that only happens in Native?

Hi,

As HX Native is exactly the same as the “brain” in rest of the models in the Helix range then it will be common to all. Can’t think of an obvious solution if the sweep starts from a random point in the cycle - guess you’re stuck with that. Sorry.

10 hours ago, unperfectcircle said:

In case someone's interested in this, I finally found a solution for the effect I was trying to achieve thanks to the Throbber effect in the Legacy filters (speed 0.1hz, wave Ramp Up).

The only problem left is to make the sweep begin when the effect (or, even better, the snapshot) is engaged; from my tests with Native it seems like the filter always moves and the sweep doesn't start over from its frequency starting point with Snapshot or Patch changes. Is it something that only happens in Native?

Not sure if it works on legacy effects, but you can reset an LFO by sending a value with CC64, or engage/release the tap tempo button once.