Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up a looper in Snapshot mode

Johnnyhell666

Hey Line6 fellas, 

I've tried to find a thread corresponding to my issue but all I was able to find was a thread about how to set up a looper in snapshot mode using a MIDI cable to set up a real "loop" between the MIDI in and out.

Well, my problem is that for live performances I run my Helix with Ableton and assigned all the snapshots changes on my laptop so I would have to worry about tap-dancing during the whole show. Therefore, I cannot use this MIDI loop thread that I have found even though it seems like it could work. 

Does anyone have the magical solution to my problem? Please try to be gentle with me I'm new to the Helix and I haven't quite got my hands on it yet. 

Cheers, 

Jo 

I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Are you trying to use the built-in Helix looper or are you trying to trigger loops in Ableton?

If you're triggering loops in Ableton, then you use IC (Instant Command - the lightning bolts) messages. These trigger when the snapshot is loaded.

If you want to trigger the loops manually/at-will, use the regular buttons (the two rows below the ICs).

Try not to use NOTES as triggers. There's a problem with using NOTES with snapshots that I didn't see they'd resolved with the latest updates.

If you enable "MIDI over USB" in Globals-MIDI/TEMPO, no MIDI cable is necessary, just USB from Helix to Laptop.

• 1 month later...

Same applies, just different cable and Global settings - MIDI instead of MIDI over USB.

IOW - I still don't understand your problem - what EXACTLY are you trying to do, and what EXACTLY is it that doesn't work?

If you're trying to change Snapshots independently on both Helix, you'll likely need to use two MIDI tracks in Ableton so that you can set each Helix to a different MIDI Channel.

You didn't provide useful details like what sort of MIDI Interface you're using, so I can't make any suggestions about best cabling routing.

Also, be aware that although IN THEORY you can use 50' or longer MIDI cables, using over 20' you may need higher quality cables than typical store-bought.

Thanks for the answer. Really appreciate your help. 

Well I'm sorry my questions wasn't so well formulated but I found a way to do what was missing. Unfortunately another problem arose. Well, it's not quite a problem but I was simply wondering if this was a possibility or not.

I have assigned my looper in my signal path (at the very end) and simply have to press on the "Mode" knob to be able afterwards to switch it on. Nothing too complicated but I was wondering if it could also be done via our MIDI installation. 

The installation answers all the questions upon which I haven't made myself clear enough earlier in this topic. We're running Ableton Live 10 on a Macbook, using two separate tracks assigned to two different channels to change presets and snapshots on two different Helix. We've got high-quality MIDI cable to bypass any potential problems related to their length. Basically to make it work, we've got to send a MIDI signal from the MIDI track (on Ableton it's in the enveloppe section n°69 Hold Pedal 2).  

Since I have assigned a looper in my signal chain, I was wondering if there was any possibility to create a MIDI command that would 1) launch the "Mode" knob, 2) select the looper (that I have assigned on Footswitch n°4), and 3) start and stop recording the loop. 

If you guys know of any possibilities to do that, that would be great. I mean it's no big deal if it's not possible, I'll simply have to press on a few knobs in the span of a whole concert. 

Take care

3 hours ago, Johnnyhell666 said:

Since I have assigned a looper in my signal chain, I was wondering if there was any possibility to create a MIDI command that would 1) launch the "Mode" knob, 2) select the looper (that I have assigned on Footswitch n°4), and 3) start and stop recording the loop. 

If you guys know of any possibilities to do that, that would be great. I mean it's no big deal if it's not possible, I'll simply have to press on a few knobs in the span of a whole concert. 

You can control the looper with an external MIDI controller:

(from the manuel)

loo.jpg