Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Processor vs DSP vs Core

kodertian

Hi, the little I understand is that DSP is a processor, but made for high performance. What confuses me is when I see something like Dual-core Processor vs Dual DSP.

Dual-core Processor is 1 processor with 2 cores (kinda like 2 processors in 1 chip), so Dual DSP becomes a little generic, since it's not specified how many cores has 1 DSP.

Am I right on my conclusions?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... The Helix has two SHARC ADSP-21469 chips . One chip serves paths 1A and 1B and the other serves paths 2A and 2B. The HX Effects and HX Stomp each have one SHARC ADSP-21469, so from a processing perspective, they have half the processing power of the Helix, Rack and a LT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kodertian said:

Hi, the little I understand is that DSP is a processor, but made for high performance. What confuses me is when I see something like Dual-core Processor vs Dual DSP.

Dual-core Processor is 1 processor with 2 cores (kinda like 2 processors in 1 chip), so Dual DSP becomes a little generic, since it's not specified how many cores has 1 DSP.

Am I right on my conclusions?

I think you're trying to compare two different types of processors.  Generic processors like those in a PC use multiple core designs.  Specialized high speed or real time processors like the SHARC chips do high speed mathematical calculations for use in dedicated single purpose machines where maximum throughput is essential, so they would actually be at a disadvantage to have multi-core features which are designed to benefit multi-threaded and/or multi-process environments.  The dual DSP chips on separate dedicated paths help facilitate rapid throughput on the different paths so this allows more blocks to be in a signal chain without causing noticeable latency.

Don't be confused by Line 6's reference to Helix Core which is really just a software architecture that allows for a simplified and compatible code base across the entire Helix line.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Just makes sure you always have a few pipe cleaners handy in case the fetzer valve gets clogged... and a set of 5/8" ball bearings. Just try doing a firmware update with worn bearings... it'll never finish. ;)

Nice one, Fletch!  :-)