Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recorded Levels Vs Playing Levels

This topic was done before and I even participated in the thread... That was before I started using IEMs and I can now say using the IEMs it's very noticeable and the room has nothing to do with it.

I wanted to start this topic anew so that I can be clear of my findings and give the best data possible in order to see if there is some kind of workaround. And hopefully bring it to the attention of line 6 in case there is a fix.

First, the problem... We record a performance at rehearsal... Play it back so the we can adjust our IEM mix. The RECORDING, is much louder than when we were actually playing.

Now the control questions, electronic drums, modelled guitar amps direct, modelled bass amp direct. The only thing you might hear of any significance in the room is our natural voices. But with the in ears in place, we can't hear each talk unless we are at a mic.

So really perfect environment for a controlled test. So the question is, what's going on. At first blush, it would seem that for some reason, the inputs are being recorded at a hotter level than they are coming into the mixer. If that's the issue, the question is how and/or why is that happening.

Then maybe we could figure out if there is a work around.

In the meantime can we trust that it's a global volume discrepancy and that all the channels are louder relative to each other. If I go out front and mix, set the master using the recorded material, the band is going to be quieter than the recording when we start to play... So I'll have to guess by how much I need to compensate.

Yes I know, first world problems. I'm not whining, I truly appreciate this gear and the fact that we never had even close to these options in the past. I only bring the topic back to the forefront because I know how line 6 intended it to work, there's obviously something strange going on here and I figured the more info they have the easier it'll be to pinpoint it. I can seriously get through my gigs and get great mixes in my IEMs and FOH despite this. But having this corrected and accurate would make it much easier.

So the question is, what's going on. At first blush, it would seem that for some reason, the inputs are being recorded at a hotter level than they are coming into the mixer. If that's the issue, the question is how and/or why is that happening.

Assuming something isn't physically broken ...They are only recorded at the level you set the trims to.  And that is the exact same level you send on through the mixer.  It is most likely that signal would be even louder because you''l probably be adding eQ and efx which increase the gain.

So they way to solve the program is to figure out what you have told the mixer to do to get this to happen.  Somewhere buried down inside something a button or a level has been switched.

If you can email me the backup of your system I can examine it here because when I try it on my system it does not happen.  Send to email it to boomer@line6.com

Don is that just as simple as doing back up presets and then emailing you the file from the SD card.  If so I have done this and sent the email.

I don't think it would be that there is something physically broken as in the previous thread there were a number of other users experiencing the same thing.

I may be missing something in the concept of how you're supposed to be able to use this feature.  Based on what you said here

"They are only recorded at the level you set the trims to.  And that is the exact same level you send on through the mixer.  It is most likely that signal would be even louder because you''l probably be adding eQ and efx which increase the gain."

If I hit the recording with the trim levels being the same as what gets sent on through the mixer, then everything should be the same, despite any EQ or FX, granted I don't change anything between record and playback. 

Here is my thought process, I plug my mic in, set the trim, set up a preset for the mic that has some eq and fx then hit record and start singing.  While I am singing the signal going to the board is hitting the eq and fx.  Then when I play back the recording of my voice should hit the eq and fx the same way.  Shouldn't it??  Isn't this the idea?  This way I can go out front, with my ipad and not only adjust levels but eq and fx send etc to get the mix right.

This is why I find this so strange. 

Just for clarification, the recording is post trim, right but before anything else?.  And the playback is from the exact same spot, so technically whether it's the original signal or the recording of the original signal they should both follow the same signal path.

BTW the boomer@line6.com got rejected, so I tried dboomer@line6.com. So far the second one hasn't been rejected, hopefull you get it.

Thanks

Kevin

I noticed the same thing. I have only tried it once, and I remembered the post at the time. I have done nothing to see what happened. But I didn't put much thought into it because the recording came from a different venue. We didn't do it right then, so I just assumed I did something different. Will be interesting to see if Don finds anything in your file.