Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Low Frequency Response

All,

For years, I have struggled with an issue with both of my Variaxes: They seem to have a restricted frequency range, and in particular, they have a definite cut-off at around 90Hz. This becomes a problem when switching betweem the VAX and a traditional instrument, in that the traditional guitar suddenly seems bigger, boomier, and generally louder.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't go from VAX to Les Paul live without somne sort of EQ change, and it's a reall PITA. Is there a soluton? I'm asking here rather than log a ticket, but I will do that if I have to.

Any help?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Joe

my Variax 700 sounds fine also..

anyway I don't know if you noticed a slight weird but useful thing about all the old Variax guitars (I don't know if the JTV behave still the same): if you roll back just a bit the tone control you get a louder and fatter sound without losing the high end..

Yes. I've modded my tone knob to not roll up past near 8.5 on the knob so I can roll back up to the fullest sound possible when using the knob as quick as I can live.

Works pretty great.

I believe this issue doesn't exist anymore in the HD update since it uses a completely different modeling system.

yours is an interesting solution for very quick setting to exactly the point you want..

personally I use this feature (issue?!?) more as a mid/body/volume booster, almost like a bonus invisible pedal to push the following things a little more at the occurrence

I can easily remove the mod or lift the tone knob above the obstruction that keeps the tone knob from passing 8.5-ish.

I personally want my guitar to sound as full and lively as it needs to be when the tone is fully rolled up, so I did that.

Would be easier if the knobs had numerical marks on them, but since they didn't, I modded mine.

yours is a good and practical idea if you know that you need always that type of sound setting.. just 1 quick turn of the knob and you're ready to go!..

maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that the models are 100% like the originals when the tone is full open, and that the exception here is when you roll back the control, which can turn to be useful like a booster, or even to be the ideal standard setting as it is for you..

it's just a matter of a personal choice..

personally sometimes I like to take advantage of this feature to get a mid booster like I did in my recently posted here Metheny type sound demo, other times I prefer instead to start with a standard weaker sound and boost it in other ways..

I have thought about that, that the tone on 100% is what is more accurate, but I don't know.

I like the full sound.

I can easily remove the mod. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

I put dabs of super glue on the knob to create a bump on the knob, then I glued a small cut of plastic on the pickguard under the tone knob so that it obstructs the super glue bump from rolling past 8.5.

I rolled the knob to about 8.4-8.6 and slid the knob back on to where the bump and the plastic are meeting up just right.

Now it won't go past 8.5, but like I said, I can

1) pull the knob up off the pot a bit to bypass the obstruction.

2) remove it with some tools and cleaning products.

...if I ever want to return it back to normal.