Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does HX Edit 2.81 work with Helix 2.71

Moon_Raven

Pretty much what the title says - will the new 2.81 HX Edit PC application work with Helix Floor 2.71? I'm kinda scared of the compatibility issues when updating helix devices & apps, so I wanna be sure before I connect them.

The reason for this is that my helix doesn't work with 2.8 firmware or later, so I have to use the 2.71 one, and I'd like to use the new PC application (actually I've already installed it while trying to update my Helix Floor).

No. If your Helix is running firmware v2.71 you need the HX Edit v2.7x program. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'new' PC application. HX Edit v2.7x and v2.8x are identical in form and function except for the changes to the firmware update. They don't look or operate any differently.

15 hours ago, Carbonfold said:

When I updated everything to 2.80, I rolled back to 2.71.  With that said, I didn't  rollback HX Edit.  Only the unit and it worked just fine.

Unless Line 6 officially states that Edit 2.8 (2.81) is backward compatible I would think you are tempting fate. Maybe it connects and appears to work... but the two are following different roadmaps. 

17 hours ago, Carbonfold said:

When I updated everything to 2.80, I rolled back to 2.71.  With that said, I didn't  rollback HX Edit.  Only the unit and it worked just fine.

I just did a factory reset of my floor, launched the installer and reinstalled 2.71.

What happens when you use HX Edit v2.81 to attempt to add one of the new amp or FX models to a preset with the connected Helix device running v2.71 firmware? 

I know for a fact that the Helix device driver for HXEdit on the PC is different between 2.8 and 2.7.  If you run a Helix with 2.8 and try to connect with HXEdit 2.7 it won't even see the Helix because 2.8 can't successfully run the device driver for 2.7.  That very fact tells me you're tempting fate at the device driver level.  Who knows what might happen then?