Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp ASIO USB ReAmp

charly2000ad

Hi,

I've been going through the Helix Stomp manual and under the DI Recording and Re-amping section it refers to 'Create one stereo track to record your full, stereo, processed tone and set the track's input to HX Stomp USB 1/2. '...and later on ' In your DAW software, set the DI track's Output setting to HX Stomp USB 5/6.' However in Cakewalk by Bandlab you can only see USB 1,3,5 and 7.

In the actual track inputs and outputs you can select from Left 1, right 1, left 3 right 3 etc..but there are no even numbers present.

Anyone know if this is ok or if this will cause me a limitation?

Screenshot below.

Thanks

Charlie

ASIO Drivers.PNG

IIRC, 1=1+2;3=3+4;5=5+6;7=7+8.

When I asked Cakewalk support (pre Bandlab) about it they blamed L6. I pointed out that it's not a problem in other DAWs. "Bite Me" was their reply.

Cakewalk was my first DAW, way back before it was bought by Gibson. I even bought into the "Lifetime Updates" six months before Gibson killed it.

I switched to Reaper and was AMAZED how much better it was. When Bandlab revived Cakewalk I was thrilled. They haven't done diddly to improve it. Things that take 5 minutes to set up in Reaper or LIVE don't work in Cakewalk at all. The Cakewalk/Bandlab forum is a toxic cesspit.

Do yourself a favor. Reaper is $60 with an unlimited trial. DO IT!

• Upvote 2

Hi,

thanks for the response.

I've always found the Bandlab support guys very helpful but then again I havn't really engaged too much with them.

I'll check Reaper out. It's a bit annoying though after spending all that money on Sonar...I guess that's how it is with software products.

Thanks again.

On 8/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, Kevin-M said:

Outside of Cakewalk (ie, in the asio control panel from Windows only), can you see the entire list?

Windows doesn't have an ASIO Control Panel. That's a program provided by the device's creators, in this case, L6. You may be thinking of the Windows, Sound Panel, but that has nothing to do with ASIO. Typically, an ASIO panel will show the device's buffers and other settings, while the Preferences screen in your DAW shows the Input/Output configuration.

Below are screenshots of Cakewalk and Reaper:

And the ASIO Control Panel and Windows Sound Panel in LIVE

If you open the HX Stomp Control Panel from Windows Control Panel you'll see it's the same as the above, provided by L6:

rd2rk: Thanks for posting those screen shots. Really illustrative.

So does that mean that in Cakewalk we effectively lose half the output possibilities, or is it that just a cosmetic thing and there are other ways to get the same functionality by using the track dropdowns that show up as Left 1, right 1, left 3 right 3 etc etc?

15 minutes ago, charly2000ad said:

rd2rk: Thanks for posting those screen shots. Really illustrative.

So does that mean that in Cakewalk we effectively lose half the output possibilities, or is it that just a cosmetic thing and there are other ways to get the same functionality by using the track dropdowns that show up as Left 1, right 1, left 3 right 3 etc etc?

It's just cosmetic, it works as you stated. A DAW is a complicated piece of SW, and vendors should try to avoid needless confusion. Blaming L6 for a badly written driver when they're the only vendor with a problem is the kind of thing that drives users to other products.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, rd2rk said:

IIRC, 1=1+2;3=3+4;5=5+6;7=7+8.

When I asked Cakewalk support (pre Bandlab) about it they blamed L6. I pointed out that it's not a problem in other DAWs. "Bite Me" was their reply.

Cakewalk was my first DAW, way back before it was bought by Gibson. I even bought into the "Lifetime Updates" six months before Gibson killed it.

I switched to Reaper and was AMAZED how much better it was. When Bandlab revived Cakewalk I was thrilled. They haven't done diddly to improve it. Things that take 5 minutes to set up in Reaper or LIVE don't work in Cakewalk at all. The Cakewalk/Bandlab forum is a toxic cesspit.

Do yourself a favor. Reaper is $60 with an unlimited trial. DO IT!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  I have Sonar Platinum which is the main reason (other than having many years of familiarity with Sonar as well as a huge library of my recording projects) for not moving on.  The Platinum versions comes with such a wide selection of additional plug-ins that I depend upon, particularly Addicted Drums, I'm just not sure if those would transfer over to another platform or if I'd have to re-purchase them.  Did you find any utility that would aid in converting your Sonar project files to Reaper??

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  I have Sonar Platinum which is the main reason (other than having many years of familiarity with Sonar as well as a huge library of my recording projects) for not moving on.  The Platinum versions comes with such a wide selection of additional plug-ins that I depend upon, particularly Addicted Drums, I'm just not sure if those would transfer over to another platform or if I'd have to re-purchase them.  Did you find any utility that would aid in converting your Sonar project files to Reaper??

Fortunately, I'm not a serious recordist, so no major projects to port over. The only plugins I really cared about were Dimension Pro and Addictive Drums, both of which work fine outside of Sonar. This is the reply I got from XLN Support when I asked:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. The version you got from your Cakewalk purchase is a full version for AD2 and thus can be used in any DAW that we support. All you will need to do is to make sure that your new DAW is searching in the correct folder for the AD2 plug-in. If you no longer have Sonar on your computer then you may need to re-install your AD2 plug-in. Do this by running the Online Installer and making sure it says everything is up to date. If it asks you to repair or update your installation. Please allow it to do so. 
Don't hesitate to get back to me if you need any further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best.

Best regards,
Nick Hutton
---------------------------------------
XLN Audio - Support
---------------------------------------

If you were to check out the Reaper Forum, I bet you'd find a bunch of people who switched over, and would be happy to help.

I wouldn't ask on the Bandlab/Sonar forum though, that could be dangerous!