Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with synth via midi

antonio1961

I've never used the midi features on the Helix, but thinking that it could be useful in a live band situation for triggering maybe a synth to help fill out ,and give more depth to certain songs.

I'm essentially a guitarist with limited keyboard skills ,but i believe that with something along the lines of a Roland JD XI that stuff could be pre programmed, and triggered via the Helix ?

I'd love to know if you use the Helix in this way, and just exactly how creative you can get with it .

Thanks.

Helix got 8ins 8 out, in terms of logical usb ports, so it is might benefit for example to get your software synth in to Usb3/4 for effects while guitar goes in to guitar in for example.

This is also good for recording, for some reason sending sound from two different programs to same output cause glitches.

Artistically, ,  I like for myself recording classical string quartet on monophonic analog synth, or guitar.

For live shows probably you are looking for building a simple VCV Rack patch, and maybe the patch would control external analog synth. and all trigged by guitar

VCV RACK 1.0 is free and can also control pitch wheel, so maybe LFO can also control the external synth pitch wheel.

also a loop playback VCV rack module can be used to trigger recording/playing every N bars 

All of this  would be triggered by any note sent from the guitar to VCV. or Helix internal clock

thew these things are really nice, I find it more interesting investing my time on piano classical music , 

and playing Piano pieces on guitar (Bach for example). then gong experimental.

Helix can send CC, turning CC to note is simple using 

1. your daw (Logic pro transformation object)

2. VCV rack, just connect CC trigger, to note trigger module.

3. Using 3 lines of code in Midi Javascript

4. You dont want to "play with your foot switches", you do want to trigger event/sequences/patches with it...

Lets try simple home assignment . VCV rack will control Helix Gain volume where amplitude of change will decrease over time.

1. Free 40min of your time.

2. In VCV rack add LFO, and ADSR

3. Connect LFO to ADSR to control amplitude over time.

4. Add CC trigger (You can also have VCV identify a trigger as any sounde larger then 3V)

5. connect cc trigger to adsr

6. Helix configure footswitch A1 to trigger CC channel X

7. Helix configure Gain affect to receve changes on CC channel Y

8. test that VCV accepted your trigger successfully.

9.Verify that the ptach actually works.

This is a simple task with no keyboard.

- In the synth world we dont need to trigger specific notes,

we trigger sequence events.

** This is a Virtual Analog task, their might be as well FM synthesis home assignment, Live looping home assignment or AbeltonLive10 Loops assignment.

however analog monophonic synth is the best way to start, 

a. You can simplify this task even more by jest sending LFO from VCV Rack to Helix, this is 7Min assignment but it would be less challenging .

b. It is always best to have Helix or External Synth produce the sound and Midi just play changes with it. 

17 hours ago, Kevin-M said:

Helix won’t send MIDI note on/off data. 

Yes, it will, both latching and momentary.

It also appears that they've resolved the issue of Snapshots causing assigned notes to revert to C#3, though I'd have to spend more time playing with it to confirm.