Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering a Helix+Powercab

DavidAbrahamson

A few years back I bought a used Vetta II head and a 4x12 line 6 cab. While not horrible I found it to be a chore to use and most sounds/effects (distortion mainly) I could hardly listen to. I almost stopped playing guitar because of the process and bad sounds.

I play a universe 7 string guitar through an Ampeg BR2 head, 4x10 and I think a 1x15 cabs. Effects are Metal muff, flashbackx4, Whammy DT, and a T2 TC-electronics reverb. After the vetta 2 I'm a bit "scared" to dump 2.5k$ or so on line 6 again.

1: Does anyone know if a 7 string though the Helix modeled ampeg/mesa bass amps sound good? 

2: If I use my distortion (concerned about how much I hated Vetta 2 distortion) with the helix will it sound like metal muff or will something make it sound like fizzed out chit?

3: Is the Helix a sizable step up from the Vetta sounds?

4: I also use a rack mount BBE sonic maximizer, will that work with the Helix/powercab?

5: Why do the powercabs have to look like a modern black and grey nightmare of boredom? Why not have these things look like other awesome cabs, like VOX/Orange/Bugera? 

6: Is there any option for a better looking cab with the Helix from line six that sounds as good, the DT50 or whatever?

It does bother me to think about spending 600+ on a powercab and it looks like a... brick? Just wondering if there are options outside of buying a new mesh front and scraping off the outside of the powercab to do a colorful and interesting exterior.

Thanks guys!

1) Everything sounds great with Helix. YMMV.

2) Everything sounds like fizzed out chit. UNLESS you take the time to learn how to use it.

3) Yes. No. Maybe. YMMV.

4) If you think those things work, then yes.

5) If you'll sign a contract to purchase all of the leftover orange-purple-green-yellow-red fugly cabs that nobody but you wants, maybe you can make a deal.

6) Buy any color cab you want and a separate poweramp. Problem solved.

There's a reason why most amp makers still to this day make their amps in some shade of black/brown/grey.

Now get off my lawn! 

On 8/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, DavidAbrahamson said:

A few years back I bought a used Vetta II head and a 4x12 line 6 cab. While not horrible I found it to be a chore to use and most sounds/effects (distortion mainly) I could hardly listen to. I almost stopped playing guitar because of the process and bad sounds.

I play a universe 7 string guitar through an Ampeg BR2 head, 4x10 and I think a 1x15 cabs. Effects are Metal muff, flashbackx4, Whammy DT, and a T2 TC-electronics reverb. After the vetta 2 I'm a bit "scared" to dump 2.5k$ or so on line 6 again.

1: Does anyone know if a 7 string though the Helix modeled ampeg/mesa bass amps sound good? 

2: If I use my distortion (concerned about how much I hated Vetta 2 distortion) with the helix will it sound like metal muff or will something make it sound like fizzed out chit?

4: I also use a rack mount BBE sonic maximizer, will that work with the Helix/powercab?

5: Why do the powercabs have to look like a modern black and grey nightmare of boredom? Why not have these things look like other awesome cabs, like VOX/Orange/Bugera? 

6: Is there any option for a better looking cab with the Helix from line six that sounds as good, the DT50 or whatever?

It does bother me to think about spending 600+ on a powercab and it looks like a... brick? Just wondering if there are options outside of buying a new mesh front and scraping off the outside of the powercab to do a colorful and interesting exterior.

Thanks guys!

Hard truth time... most, if not all those who attempt a switch to modeling, but go into it half- heartedly, needing to be convinced that the technology is worthy, end up unhappy and going back to their amps. Why? Because they had already made up their minds before they whipped out the credit card, and all they were really interested in was validating preconceived notions. If you don't want to like something, you won't. Period. It's human nature... fight it if ya like, but it's a waste of time.

Most of the questions you've asked are entirely subjective, and therefore essentially unanswerable. Getting any two guitar players to agree on what "good tone" means is nearly impossible. Nobody can tell you if the proposed assortment of gear will sound good to you when paired with Helix, because your definition of "good" is exactly that... yours. Maybe you'll like it, and maybe you won't. Buying and trying is the only way to find out. What I can tell you with 100% certainty is this: If you're expecting plug and play, instant gratification...Stop. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200. Be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time experimenting, and figuring out what works for you. But it absolutely will not happen just by turning the thing on.

As for the aesthetics of the Powercab... if you're more concerned with what stuff looks like than what it sounds like, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't had a cabinet of any kind on stage for years at this point... but if I did decide to go that route again, I wouldn't care if the only cabs left in existence were hot pink with green polka dots... if it gives me the sound I want, then the job is done.

It’s a no brainer.

Order the Helix and Power Cab from a reputable on-line company.  Do this when you can take a few days off and do nothing but sample and test to your heart’s content.  Maybe even with your band.  Keep all of your boxes and paperwork nice and tidy.

If you don’t like it, ship it back and get your refund.  Worst case scenario you pay the shipping.  If you have (or have access to) a decent powered monitor, you can reduce the possible cost of shipping by just ordering the Helix.  It won’t be 100% the same but probably close enough for your purposes.

This how I approached the dilemma (that we all face) 3 years ago.  I kept the Helix. 

Also, your chances of joyfully converting are proportional based on venue size and volume requirements.   

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

As I said before I tried the line 6 route and wouldn't say I went half way, hence my concern now as the Vetta 2 sounds were really middle of the road at best imo. 

I do understand that some of my questions are subjective, but I still asked. I have to assume that plenty of others out there tried early line 6 gear and just like me felt it was not a long term solution for sound. I'm willing to take the dive again as it seems like the Helix is close enough with high end sounds that you really are getting 50k worth of gear for like 3k. The issue is if I watch videos you hear what comes out of your home speakers, not what's going on in the room it was recorded in, so I ask people what they think of theirs live. 3k in Amps/effects VS 30$ in computer speakers =D

My point about the powercab looking bland was more to suggest to line 6 that a really sexy looking cab could have a lot of appeal. Honestly I plan on stripping the powercab and refinishing it just so when I walk up to it to play I feel that "daaaang gurl" feeling =D. 

Again thanks for the feedback, I have always followed line 6 because I knew it was going to get better and I HATE the idea of dumping 2-3k on 1 amp from Orange/VOX/Ampeg/Mesa when Line 6 might be close enough that when music is bumping along side your playing no one on earth can tell the difference... 

On 8/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, DavidAbrahamson said:

Don't own one.

There is a good sized selection of distortions on the Helix including some boutique models. You are likely to find at least one you like. No "chit", several sound great.

Yes, much newer technology with more depth of control.

Don't see why it wouldn't, good question though. Let us know.

Personally I have always preferred black and grey or a nice leather covered or wood grained cabinet if I go for something more like the dashboard of a Rolls Royce but hey, some spray cans and a couple of local aspiring graffiti artists can work wonders on a cab repaint.

No, the PowerCab+ is a unique animal. The DT50 is a whole different approach . I suppose they could always do a custom run or add some different cab finishes to the PC+  but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks guys!