Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Combo To Pair With An Hd500x?

RNRage

I have a few tube combos.. Only one has an FX loop (My Mesa Subway Rocket 22). Mesa is known for (and I tend to agree with through trial and error) somewhat crappy FX loops. Anything sub $400 that is decent to run an HD500X through using the 4CM? I'm open to any and all ideas.. And no, it doesn't have to be a tube amp. I'd somewhat prefer it not to be, as I have some back issues.. And it gets tough to lift much over 25 lbs.

I've been eyeing up the Tech 21 Trademark 30. I don't need anything big and flashy.

EDIT: I'd also be open to poweramp / cab options but would prefer to be able to just carry a combo.

• Upvote 1

Another thought that I already have in front of me (should have been obvious [And I can run in stereo]).

I have a pair of Behringer B208D Active PA Cabs.. I've been running through them via 1/4" outputs on the HD500X and have been pretty happy with the results. Would I be set just running them as monitors and sending the XLR outs to FOH?

EDIT: Another thought is to pick up one of those Crate Powerblocks.. But they do seem to have reliability issues or that solution would be gold for me as this combination gets tremendous reviews where I have found mention of them. Would pair up to my 2- 1x12 cabs nicely.

EDIT 2: Yet another thought.. If I'm just monitoring.. I could pick up a Mackie SRM150 or Behringer B205D (Would probably pick up the Mackie over the Behringer). Run L/R 1/4" to the monitor and XLR L/R to FOH. Both of those units get great reviews.

• Upvote 1

I have a pair of Behringer B208D Active PA Cabs.. I've been running through them via 1/4" outputs on the HD500X and have been pretty happy with the results. Would I be set just running them as monitors and sending the XLR outs to FOH?

That's good if you want to use the stereo functionality of the pod. I tried this configuration in a live situation and i wasn't happy with the sound coming from the monitors (top pro ark12A active pa cabs), the tone was thin and harsh. Maybe because of the quality of the monitors.

EDIT: Another thought is to pick up one of those Crate Powerblocks.. But they do seem to have reliability issues or that solution would be gold for me as this combination gets tremendous reviews where I have found mention of them. Would pair up to my 2- 1x12 cabs nicely.

First time i hear of the Crate Powerblock, everyone is talking good about these things! In an other post someone mentioned this http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/8387, i don't know if could be useful for you.

EDIT 2: Yet another thought.. If I'm just monitoring.. I could pick up a Mackie SRM150 or Behringer B205D (Would probably pick up the Mackie over the Behringer). Run L/R 1/4" to the monitor and XLR L/R to FOH. Both of those units get great reviews.

That's perfect i think, avoid behringer product (IMO), through the years i changed alot of my band gear (monitors/active pa/mixer), we had problems with behringer mixer and active pa cabs, we chose mackie after that.

The only thing i did not try is to run the pod through a FRFR system like Tech21 for example. Every active cab has his frequency response that change the sound of the tone you tweaked (do you tweak your tone through the headphones?).

My evolution with the pod hd500 in live situation was:

- fender frontman 212r (paid used 180 euros) through his fx loop, not miced (didn't like the sound of the lead tones, but nice clean sounds)

- pod directly to PA through XLR L/R (mackie thump 15A), the sound out of the mackies was good after some eqing, but the sound coming from the monitor was horrible (Top Pro ark12A).

- same as before but using the frontman miced and as a monitor (this was just an attemp because as i said the lead tones coming from the frontman weren't nice )

Actual setup, laney cub12r (270euros) miced and with the pod in his fxloop. The tones are very close to the ones i tweak at home through the headphones, plus the feel of a tube amp acting as a monitor is beatiful. Pretty happy with this configuration.

I would like to try to add the xlr out L/R to the pa and mixing with the miced signal, who knows if it is a good idea.

Let me know what you are going to do! ;)

• Upvote 1

I am not clear on what you want to accomplish here.  If you simply want stage monitor setup and plan to run XLR to FOH, stick with your current B208's unless they simply aren't loud enough.  Those two side by side should give you what you want without going to the Mackie.  You are asking for trouble switching to a combo setup as you will soon see that the output settings for good combo sound may not be compatible with good FOH sound.  I would say to stick with a complete FRFR setup and use the B208's.  No doubt you can find a better use for the cash...

Now if you really just want a straight stereo amp rig and are willing to have it mic'd all the time, that is a different story.  Again, not sure that you will gain any further improvement over what you have without going tube and that takes you where you may not want to be in terms of weight and reliability.  Not to mention having to rework your patches...

Food for thought...   :)

• Upvote 2

I am not clear on what you want to accomplish here.  If you simply want stage monitor setup and plan to run XLR to FOH, stick with your current B208's unless they simply aren't loud enough.  Those two side by side should give you what you want without going to the Mackie.  You are asking for trouble switching to a combo setup as you will soon see that the output settings for good combo sound may not be compatible with good FOH sound.  I would say to stick with a complete FRFR setup and use the B208's.  No doubt you can find a better use for the cash...

Now if you really just want a straight stereo amp rig and are willing to have it mic'd all the time, that is a different story.  Again, not sure that you will gain any further improvement over what you have without going tube and that takes you where you may not want to be in terms of weight and reliability.  Not to mention having to rework your patches...

Food for thought...   :)

I appreciate the response. Any way you shake it, I was planning on running XLR outs to FOH. I am however, still thinking about picking up a Mackie SRM150 or Behringer B205D.. Because of portability. I don't really care (to he honest) if I can monitor myself in stereo.. I'll be able to hear (and create my tones) what everything will sound like at FOH because I own the system, so as long as I can hear what I'm playing via monitor, I'll be happy. Thank you again for your response, I guess what I needed was to hear someone confirm things that I already was thinking!

• Upvote 1

That's perfect i think, avoid behringer product (IMO), through the years i changed alot of my band gear (monitors/active pa/mixer), we had problems with behringer mixer and active pa cabs, we chose mackie after that.

I have had issues with Behringers mixers.. I went through 2 of them that showed up DOA.. I was in a jam because I needed a mixer that day (at that point) so I picked one up used at a local used shop. Got me through the night, then crapped out on me the next day. I eventually saved the pennies and bought a Mackie.. Which is what I should have done in the first place. Their early Bugera amps.. Went through a handful.. One of which started smoking and nearly caught fire. A few other products by them I could mention but their active PA cabs have been gold. I've owned 4 of the B212Ds for quite a while now.. Have 2 B210Ds and 2 B208Ds that I use for monitors when needed, as well. I plan on picking up a pair of the B1500D active subs very soon as we do a lot of bigger venues and outdoor venues and it would be nice to have a pair of subs for those events.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear that, well you know sometimes is just bad luck witho some equipment, but with the mixers it seems to be a real problem. We have to replace our mixer maybe looking forward to a mackie or peavy 24channel

You really can't beat Mackies. I used to work at a music store that sold Peavey gear.. And although the PA equipment is built like a tank.. I never cared for the preamps in them.

For what It's worth.. The Yamaha mixers are fantastic, as well. Personally, I think they're a bit quieter than the Mackie mixers. I use a Yamaha in my studio. Don't know if you NEED the 24 XLR inputs, but the Yamaha MG206C-USB has 16 XLR inputs (I think they call it a "20" channel) and also has USB capabilities. That'd be an added bonus in my book but everyone is different. I use one of these in my studio and new, they're only $680 via Sweetwater.

• Upvote 1

You really can't beat Mackies. I used to work at a music store that sold Peavey gear.. And although the PA equipment is built like a tank.. I never cared for the preamps in them.

For what It's worth.. The Yamaha mixers are fantastic, as well. Personally, I think they're a bit quieter than the Mackie mixers. I use a Yamaha in my studio. Don't know if you NEED the 24 XLR inputs, but the Yamaha MG206C-USB has 16 XLR inputs (I think they call it a "20" channel) and also has USB capabilities. That'd be an added bonus in my book but everyone is different. I use one of these in my studio and new, they're only $680 via Sweetwater.

We don't use all the 24 channels but we need at least 16 xlr, i will look after the yamaha, thank you for the advice! ;)

• Upvote 1

Since this post.. I had one of the 10" drivers in the Altos crap out. I took them both back and they gave me a full refund. Earlier today, I picked up a Tech 21 Trademark 30. Holy crap! I went L/Mono output to the FX return and adjusted my parameters.. Changed my settings and whatnot.. And started to practice with the band. Definitely loud enough. The power amp section of this amp is plenty loud. Took to the 500x very very well. I'll be micing it up in live situations, so no issue there. The xlr direct out just didn't sound right.