Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro. Shortboard Mkii + External Exp2

NucleusX

That is absolutely untrue, and I challenge you to prove it with technical referencing. 

The Boss FV-500H is "BOTH" a volume pedal "AND" an expression pedal

with both circuits isolated from each other. Expression socket is a TRS

stereo socket type. I'd re-check your information. Boss even says so.

I've also posted a diagram to the cable I made in a previous post.

Ring wire was omitted for TS mono compatibility to the Shortboard MKII. 

Maybe you should've read the entire thread first lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new Line 6 customer and have recently purchased "The Dream Rig."  Before buying an external pedal for my FBV MKii I researched the web for pedals that worked well for this purpose.  I found this thread, and thought I better buy a Line 6 EX-1 if I didn't want to have to plug in a cable every time I want to fire up my equipment and play.  Rather than buying the external pedal that I originally wanted to go with, I bought the EX-1.  I received it today from Amazon.  And.....same problem.  I am unplugging and plugging in every time or it doesn't recognize it.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with pod hd pro. I have tried several pedals including the mission pedal on the hd pro and it will not start when you turn on the pod. 

I also have a hd 500 and the issue is not present here, i have used mission ep1-l6, Roland FV-500H and Ernie ball vp-junior all with great success. Today i tried the bean version and it also was a success. This leads me to think that it is a fault in the programming on the Pod Hd Pro. I have also the fbv custom footcontroll (the one that belongs to vetta) with 2 exp pedals on it and this works like it supposed to do both the pedals are working when you have turned it on.

Having read your very lucid thread NX, despite the obviousness of where the problem lies, people seem to still be focusing on the expression pedal.  Too bad you started the thread thinking the problem was with the Expression pedal (which is exactly what I would have done, too).  You've clearly stated many times that the problem is with the shortboard.

Perhaps you might want to consider starting a new thread where you state "Line 6 short board is unable to detect an attached expression pedal on startup".  Doesn't matter if it is a Line 6 pedal or not.  Just say you are using a Line 6 pedal.

I wonder, however, perhaps the circuitry is such that it is unable to process the detection code?  Or do you think it is as simple as them rewriting the firmware to add a detection check at the end of boot?  If the pedal is already plugged in, maybe they can't run the detection?  I don't know, I'm a mech eng guy.

Anyway, hope everyone can see that this problem is independent of the expression pedal that is attached.  It's a basic bug/feature of the shortboard itself.

It also seems as though there is another bug as the board is not working as designed, i.e. it's not illuminating both lights even when it knows the pedal is there (I think I got that right).  Seems like they should process an update anyway.

When I purchased my Pod HD Pro, I purchased the FBV Shortboard (recommended), and the Line6 EX1 expression pedal (recommended, it says Line6 right on the pedal) and it's never worked unless I plug it into the FBV after it is powered up.  Or, you can power up, then unplug the EX1, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in and it will work.

I experimented for a while on the setup with the same results.  It works fine if you do what I say above, but you have to do that each time. 

After a while I just accepted that fact.

Mike

I decided to let this thread go for a while so I could monitor future posts of various peoples

experiences concerning this fault, and it seems to be quite the common fault without a doubt.

I believe I took the necessary steps to approach this logically and fairly, as a technician would.

1. Search and confirm that others are experiencing this same issue.

2. Took all the required steps to assess and rule out the expression pedal first.

3. Had a discussion in this forum to gather more information and evidence.

4. Contacted other technicians to cross reference and validate the fault.

5. Contacted Line6 tech support as instructed to further investigate the matter.

I don't think I could've approached this in a more concise and thorough manner and

have proven without a shadow of a doubt, that this is a fault within the firmware coding.

• 1 year later...

If this can help....

I have both Line6 and Mission pedal used as EXP2 on my HD500X, normally I use the Mission pedal because more heavvy than the Line6 one...

Well yesterday night I have opened both pedal because of a little problem on the Mission one (0 was not real 0). Both have: Pot (not measured but around 10K linear), a output Jack (mono) and ... NOTHING ELSE!!!!

I mean, one of the external pin of the pot is connected to the tip of the female Jack, the central pin is soldered to the other external pin and than to the ring of the female jack... nothing of special than a variable resistance.... no other components ... no PCB.... only two cable, jack and pot.

So.. I work with electronics components every days.... I don't see any problem to use another pedal with the SAME caratteristics..... 10K Linear Pot, Female mono jack

Rino

EDIT... I never had your problem... every time I switch On my unit the external EXp Pedal is ready to work

Hi Rino2.

Yeh, my findings confirm what your saying. It's a fairly simple and straight forward expression interface.

I might be wrong, but I haven't read anywhere that this affects the HD500/X, It appears that this problem

is experienced only by those that have a POD HD Pro in combination with the Shortboard MKII.