Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal question

rsvette12

Hi Guys:

Noticing since 2.81 update - volume pedal is assigned to number 2 in all my presets but it needs to be number 1 - is there a global switch that reverses it so I dont have t manually assign it every time ? not at my rig right now thought I ask

• Sad 1

I’m not aware of one.

Expression pedal #2 is the Helix default volume pedal - or has been on mine sine I first pulled it out of the box. However, I would assume when you rebuilt your presets they would fall in however your settings dictated pre 2.81? 

5 hours ago, rsvette12 said:

Thanks guys dont remember doing this before it was always exp 1 default for volume and exp 2 was wah - no biggie found it odd so I have to go into all my presets and change volumes to exp 1 and save

Because the Helix defaults the Volume block to 'EXP 2' and wah block to 'EXP 1' and despite the fact that I agree with everyone who thinks that the Volume block should have defaulted to 'EXP 1", I think it is easiest to use the Helix expression pedal's switch assignment defaults when you set up presets; this includes when you are using external expression pedals or whether you are using only a Wah block or using both a Vol and a Wah. Seems to lead to fewer issues and less work for me as Helix takes care of the assignments.

Helix Default Assignment

Volume block = 'EXP 2'

Wah block = 'EXP 1'

Just had to mention that I realize my preference if not my practice for the Volume block to be on 'EXP 1' is somewhat arbitrary. Just used to it being set up that way on some other devices.  On the Helix my Volume block does come after my wah pedal in my signal chain so at least from a sequential perspective it makes perfect sense for it to be 'EXP 2'.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 5:29 PM, rsvette12 said:

Thanks guys dont remember doing this before it was always exp 1 default for volume and exp 2 was wah

That has NEVER been the default for the Helix. It's always been WAH = EXP1 and VOL = EXP2.

This practice of Line 6 goes back to the HD Line as well... maybe even back to the X3 and XT. 

I am pretty sure it was done that way for people that use an external exp pedal in addition to the build in one. The BUILT IN stays as EXP1 and the external becomes EXP2. This makes a WAH sit naturally under EXP 1 in conjunction with the TOE switch. 

• Like 1