Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider II 210 only outputs through headphone jack

MCN2019

Hi, I've had my Spider II for well over 10 years, but it won't output to the main drivers, only to the headphone jack. The main drivers pop when I turn the amp on, so I know there's at least some connection.

I've tried resetting the amp's settings (losing my precious settings in the process, booooo), but this hasn't fixed it.

I'm relatively experienced in electronics, so where would I begin looking? I suspect this might have happened when my cousin's 3 year old kid was playing near my amp. I think he might have plugged my guitar lead into both the input and output jacks. Is there a fuse or something I should check?

A Spider 2 has to be a lot older than 10 years!  Maybe yo bought it used?

Too bad you lost your previous settings - those are in the preamp, not in the amp, so you needn't have done that.  The headphone jack does not use the amp output section , so I would suspect there is a blown component (or fuse) in the output part of the amp.  I've never tried disassembling the amp chassis from my Spider IV 75, so not sure how easy it is (my old Fender Bandmaster head was easy - 4 long screws held the whole thing in place, take them out and slide the chassis out).  If you can do that, you should be able to look for any signs of a damaged component, or an inline fuse.  Be careful of any power capacitors, they hold charge for a long time.

I can't remember exactly when I bought the amp, I just know it was over 10 years because I had it with me when I left the Army. 

The amp is apart, and I can't see any sign of blown components, to it does seem more likely that it's the IC that's failed, which is a damned shame.

Time to start saving for a new amp, I suppose...